FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Elites in US Hubs - What to do??? Who wants our business??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1462429-ua-elites-us-hubs-what-do-who-wants-our-business.html)

username Apr 28, 13 12:24 pm

UA Elites in US Hubs - What to do??? Who wants our business???

I wonder if others are starting to plan/worry about what happens when US leaves *A.

UA seems to depend too heavily on US at US hubs - especially CLT, it seems. In PHX, UA's schedule, even to/from ORD, is terrible (timing seems to be designed for connections rather than O&D) and one has to resort to US sometimes. US seems to have more frequencies and capacity on many US-UA hub-to-hub flights.

It seems both AA/US and UA should make an effort to get/keep these elites. To me, step one for UA is to beef up the schedule. UA just seems to be in a shrinking cycle and can't keep its schedule straight. The ORD-PHX 5 PM flight, for example, operates occasionally. Flight before is about Noon and after is about 9 PM.

Being close to 1 MM, I don't want to give up on UA. E+ is certainly better than the US seats and UA is a lot better in irregular operations than US. Howeer, it is becoming increasingly difficult to stick with UA for network, schedule and pricing reasons. For now, at least I can get UA miles but the days are numbered.

It seems jumping ship (at least split our flying like we do now but can't credit to MileagePlus) is inevitable for many of us. Just want to see what others have thought about and if there is any way to get UA's attention to make some efforts...

Thanks.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Apr 28, 13 12:28 pm

I see more regional jets in your future (CLT and PHX), although maybe at higher frequency.

Wildfan88 Apr 28, 13 12:30 pm

CLT/PHX/PHL - I am sure CLE will be happy to let you have some of their RJs

UA-NYC Apr 28, 13 12:38 pm

If you're close to MM, I'd stick it out to get that, then status match over to newAA.

ben237829624 Apr 28, 13 3:35 pm

I have the same problem. My base is a regional airport, and I am sometimes heavily dependent on US as it provides 6 daily flight to CLT and four daily to PHL and great connection out of those two hubs. Meanwhile, UA is providing only four flight to IAD. So I use US for some of my domestic regional travel and UA for my international. Wonder if UA will start to offer some RJs to EWR in the future as US leaves.

daffy99 Apr 28, 13 3:50 pm

I see this issue increasingly being raised on FT as the split looms. I'm another who is wondering what to do - we make regular PHX-PDX flights, and the 2 hour direct US flight is so much better than the 5+ hour UA trip through SFO. But now that I have passed the MM threshold, maybe it really is time to status match to the dark side unless UA comes up with other direct options...

boss315 Apr 28, 13 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 20665404)
If you're close to MM, I'd stick it out to get that, then status match over to newAA.

Agreed ...I am holding the phone until the new AA is together and then trying a status match....good strategy

username Apr 28, 13 5:28 pm

My other problem is that with the increasing inability to fly UA, the pace to 1 MM has slowed a lot.

I have 40,000 PQM so far this year but I think about 10,000 is on US (price, schedule, route network) and NH (since UA discontinued TPE). Will have another 20,000 PQMs in the next 3 weeks - again, about half on US and NH.

Hopefully US leaves *A a little later so I get more time to make my 1 MM on UA.

phillychuck Apr 28, 13 5:58 pm

Based in PHL, I am fearing the worst. Maybe UA will pick up some slots.

burlax Apr 28, 13 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 20666566)
. . . Hopefully US leaves *A a little later so I get more time to make my 1 MM on UA.

You need to be on UA metal for that to count towards MM

UA-NYC Apr 28, 13 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by phillychuck (Post 20666668)

If they keep EXP ANYWHERE close to what it is, going forward, IMO you'd be crazy not to switch to AA being in Philly

PHLGovFlyer Apr 28, 13 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by boss315 (Post 20666505)
Agreed ...I am holding the phone until the new AA is together and then trying a status match....good strategy

That's where I'm at. Sitting on the fence and waiting to see what emerges when the dust settles.

Originally Posted by phillychuck (Post 20666668)

About the only thing I'm guessing they might do is push a few more flights per day to DEN, IAH and SFO. As a wish I hope they reinstate the PHL-LAX non-stop. That would be nice, especially now that WN is out of the market and US is going away as a partner. Other than (maybe) that one I don't see UA adding routes out of PHL. Connetions versus non-stops are not as big a driver for me as service, upgrades, and FF program value anyway. Most places I fly to I would likely be connecting on the new US/AA anyway. There's really only one destination that I regularly get to with a N/S flight (SFO) and that one will likely remain N/S with UA out of PHL.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 20667039)
If they keep EXP ANYWHERE close to what it is, going forward, IMO you'd be crazy not to switch to AA being in Philly

This is a tough one for me. I was a heavy US flyer for over a decade until 2005 when I left due to lousy service and changes/devals to their FF program. Now those same things are coming in waves to UA so a switch back is starting to sound appealing. Again, I'll give it some time to see the results.

cmculp Apr 28, 13 11:05 pm

I rely on US for the WAS to Chattanooga and Melborne markets (which UA doesn't service). I also fairly extensively use the USAIR shuttle from DCA to BOS though at least there is a UA option here.

I worry that places like Chattanooga and Melborne will go from woefully under-served by 3 carriers to woefully and expensively under-served by 2.

I've been needing to switch back to DL for a couple of years, each little tick should bring me closer.... But perhaps UA will bail out a couple of these markets. I would be impressed. And grateful.

gradsflyer Apr 28, 13 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 20666566)
I have 40,000 PQM so far this year but I think about 10,000 is on US (price, schedule, route network) and NH (since UA discontinued TPE).

Aren't the discontinued TPE flights just a temporary stop while UA is short on aircraft with the 787s grounded? I think they stopped the flight since they needed the aircraft for other routes but it should come back once the 787s are back up and running on their own routes.

burlax Apr 28, 13 11:24 pm

Until the merger is approved, you won't see any effort to poach / retain flyers aside from the already existing measures ( AA EXP match ). Also, while US is in *A, it cannot compete with UA directly.