Search

CMB to Europe via S. Asian zone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 4:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
CMB to Europe via S. Asian zone?

I am currently ticketed CMB-IST-CDG, but in looking for an F routing to change the award, the easiest option seems to be CMB-BKK-CDG. Would this routing be permissible?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I am currently ticketed CMB-IST-CDG, but in looking for an F routing to change the award, the easiest option seems to be CMB-BKK-CDG. Would this routing be permissible?
I have done CMB-SIN-FRA (and return) many many times as well as MLE-SIN-FRA. I can't imagine you having issues. I don't know how TK uses those awful 737s for 6+ hour flights!

Good luck!

PS you know you can get some incredible rtw/rt/ow tickets out of CMB.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Yes, but you may encounter an MPM (maximum permitted mileage) surcharge.

I have done CMB-HKG-LHR; CMB-SIN-LHR; and CDG-HKG-CMB. No problem.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
?????? on a reward ticket??

OP, see PM how to make this F routing cost less.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

I have done CMB-HKG-LHR; CMB-SIN-LHR; and CDG-HKG-CMB. No problem.
No MPM on award bookings anymore.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I missed that it was an award.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am trying to change to CMB-SIN-DEL-FRA-CDG now, and UA are telling me it won't ticket. I assume the backtrack to SIN is the issue. If they had a more complete network, and there was any other way for me to get to DEL from CMB other than going through BKK or SIN, that would be fine, but this is my only option, so I don't think they should fight me on it.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I am trying to change to CMB-SIN-DEL-FRA-CDG now, and UA are telling me it won't ticket. I assume the backtrack to SIN is the issue. If they had a more complete network, and there was any other way for me to get to DEL from CMB other than going through BKK or SIN, that would be fine, but this is my only option, so I don't think they should fight me on it.
Don't assume anything - see if the SIN-DEL-FRA-CDG works and then add the CMB and then you will see the issue. I think it's the stopover in DEL that's causing the issue since you're not connecting in SIN to go to Europe, but instead you are connecting in SIN to go to DEL, right? I assume you are staying in DEL? If so, it will be treated as two one-way tickets= CMB/SIN/DEL//DEL/FRA/CDG
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

3 agents, no luck. Keep calling?

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Don't assume anything - see if the SIN-DEL-FRA-CDG works and then add the CMB and then you will see the issue. I think it's the stopover in DEL that's causing the issue since you're not connecting in SIN to go to Europe, but instead you are connecting in SIN to go to DEL, right? I assume you are staying in DEL? If so, it will be treated as two one-way tickets= CMB/SIN/DEL//DEL/FRA/CDG
Nope, no stopover. I am flying CMB-SIN 1:30am-7:50am, then same day SIN-DEL 7:05pm-10:10pm, then just after midnight connecting DEL-FRA 2:35am-7:15am and finally FRA-CDG 9:35am-10:45am. Longest stop is 11+ hr in Singapore, in DEL for 4 hours and change. I see no reason for this not to ticket.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 11, 2013 at 4:06 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Nope, no stopover. I am flying CMB-SIN 1:30am-7:50am, then same day SIN-DEL 7:05pm-10:10pm, then just after midnight connecting DEL-FRA 2:35am-7:15am and finally FRA-CDG 9:35am-10:45am. Longest stop is 11+ hr in Singapore, in DEL for 4 hours and change. I see no reason for this not to ticket.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...ia-via-europe/

Could it be they're not allowing 4 segments on that one-way routing too?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...ia-via-europe/

Could it be they're not allowing 4 segments on that one-way routing too?
They said the issue was going through SE Asia, and that's not allowed. Also 4 segments = 3 connections so it shouldn't run afoul of that rule anyway. Not sure what to do, I feel like this should be legal. I'd be happy to go CMB-DEL without leaving the central asian zone if such a flight existed. Also CMB-DEL via BKK or SIN as a 1-way award prices as central asian zone to central asian zone. Any ideas?

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Jun 11, 2013 at 12:06 am
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Paid ticket on PG to BKK?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Paid ticket on PG to BKK?
F from BKK is 80k miles, from CMB it's 60k miles. Why should I be penalized 20k miles? I am taking the most efficient / only connection from CMB to DEL.

I just tried to call in a CMB-BKK-FRA routing as a test, and they won't allow that either. So, the number of segments/connections isn't the issue. Is this a new horrible restriction from UA? Yet another change I'm going to like no doubt.

UPDATE: got a good agent who listened to my routing and said, that it should be a 60k F award, but needs to be priced manually. He put it all in and said call back in 24h, because SQ and LH don't confirm instantly.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 11, 2013 at 4:06 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

As expected, I called back, SQ and LH confirmed my F seats, but UA again refuses to ticket this even though it is now in my itinerary and the seats are all confirmed. They even say CMB-BKK-FRA is not a legal routing. According to what UA is telling me, the ONLY *A flight the system will let you take ex-CMB to Europe is CMB-IST on TK.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Actually, what you describe is part of a very disturbing trend of restricting award routings, segment connections, etc.

Granted, united.com was overly generous with what it allowed if you played it right (like stopovers on one ways), but lately I've seen it totally reversed -routings are more and more restricted by united.com - and I am guessing since phone agents are using same system to validate awards - we now have a situation of COMPUTER SAYS NO, it must be invalid.

Still not as bad as AA award rules - but definitely a fix has been done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.