Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Those are nonrevs (airline employees and some qualifying family/friends) traveling standby.

I'm very excited for the unpredictable twists and turns this thread will take.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
As usual, FT wisdom shines through. ^These same 7people are indeed listed on the Flight standby list as well.

Curiously 5 of the 7 have the same family name (or at least same 3 first letters of that name).

As for the UNpredictable twists and turns, I think they might be entirely predictable!

Lurker
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Lurker
Curiously 5 of the 7 have the same family name (or at least same 3 first letters of that name).
That's not all that unusual. A whole family traveling together on nonrev privileges.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: United Silver
Waitlist Question

Looking at United 838 NRT-SFO today and the standby and various waitlist appear to have tons of duplicates. Both Economy and Business appear to booked full. What causes this?

Flight Standby List
NAME
1. DAH, G.
2. DAH, G.
3. DAH, K.
4. DAH, K.
5. DAH, K.
6. DAH, M.
7. DAH, G.
8. PER, P.

United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List *
NAME
1. SYM, T.
2. VAM, J.
3. DAH, G.
4. DAH, G.
5. DAH, K.
6. DAH, K.
7. DAH, K.
8. DAH, M.
9. DAH, G.
10. PER, P.

United Global First® Upgrade Standby List *
NAME
1. PAL, S.
2. DAH, G.
3. DAH, G.
4. DAH, K.
5. DAH, K.
6. DAH, K.
7. DAH, M.
8. DAH, G.
9. PER, P.

Last edited by thebob6; Jul 16, 2014 at 5:42 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Non-revs. You have two pax waitlisted for the BF upgrade. Everyone else is a non-rev.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Gold; Starwood 50 Plat; Hyatt Plat; Avis Pres; Ritz Carlton Gold; Hertz Pres Club
speaking of non-revs, SMI, J is on 903 SFO-FRA tomorrow

I bet it takes off on time.https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ts.aspx?NFT=US
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alwaysflyingunited
Yes, John Smith does carry a lot of weight with this airline.

I'm finding myself in a bit of a bizarro-world. SFO-FRA cleared 2 weeks out, no problem. AMS-IAH I'm #2 on the list with 3 seats open within 24 hours of departure. Not holding my breath here...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Gold; Starwood 50 Plat; Hyatt Plat; Avis Pres; Ritz Carlton Gold; Hertz Pres Club
non-rev SMI,J

pretty sure his wife was on the plane too. No need to flame.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Upgrade waitlisted under both GlobalFirst and BusinessFirst

I can't find an appropriate existing thread to post this question under.

So i applied a GPU to an upcoming international flight tomorrow, and I am currently #1 on the BusinessFirst upgrade list. The flight status listed 3 passengers waitlisted for Global First upgrade, and the same 3 passengers are also waitlisted for BusinessFirst upgrade.

I am just wondering under what circumstances this would be possible, ie same passengers is waitlisted for upgrades to both premium cabins.

Thanks
@ORD

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 6, 2014 at 7:33 am Reason: found existing thread
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by @ORD
I can't find an appropriate existing thread to post this question under.

So i applied a GPU to an upcoming international flight tomorrow, and I am currently #1 on the BusinessFirst upgrade list. The flight status listed 3 passengers waitlisted for Global First upgrade, and the same 3 passengers are also waitlisted for BusinessFirst upgrade.

I am just wondering under what circumstances this would be possible, ie same passengers is waitlisted for upgrades to both premium cabins.

Thanks
@ORD
Non revenue pax
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Staff. Look for them greasing up to the podium people and trying to sweet talk the pilot/crew as they walk past
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Right now C is full, but F has 3 seats left. The usual procedure as I understand it is to upgrade C passengers to F, and then upgrade folks on the C waitlist.

Since those 3 non rev are also waitlisted for F, I might be just SOL if they get upgraded to F.

This seems to be irregular. Would you guys agree?

Thanks
@ORD
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:26 am

Right now C is full, but F has 3 seats left. The usual procedure as I understand it is to upgrade C passengers to F, and then upgrade folks on the C waitlist.
Not in my experience. I was in BKK once where there were seats open in GF, none in BF. The nonrevs were seated in the GF seats, much to the anger of a GS passenger in BF who wanted to upgrade.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP

Since those 3 non rev are also waitlisted for F, I might be just SOL if they get upgraded to F.

Thanks
@ORD
They will only upgrade from C to F if C is oversold or if there are C passengers willing to support their upgrade with either miles or certs.

Originally Posted by halls120
Not in my experience. I was in BKK once where there were seats open in GF, none in BF. The nonrevs were seated in the GF seats, much to the anger of a GS passenger in BF who wanted to upgrade.
Given the transparency of the the upgrade lists I find this hard to believe especially if the GS passengers in BF were trying to upgrade with some sort of instrument. If indeed there were shenanigans I sure hope these GS passengers called out the CS or brought it up with CR post flight.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If there are paid pax in BF eligible for upgrade to GF, then they will process those upgrades first, opening space in BF for Y upgrades.

If the only pax on the GF upgrade list are nonrevs, they will be placed in those seats, leaving no empties in BF.

No, there is nothing at all irregular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.