Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not sure why SFO-CDG would be considered undesirable for a SFO-based FA. Good hours w/ a very pleasant place to overnight.

In any case, I had probably the best service in years on my SFO-CDG r.t. last month w/ a mixed crew. Heck, even the flights left on time. I looked back at the plane when I got off - it did have the UA livery.
SFO-CDG is a highly desirable route with very senior FA's. I have had some of my best trips on this route.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by LY777
Hi,

I have some questions concerning UA F/As.
In August, I flew the following flights: CDG-ORD, ORD-HNL, and SFO-CDG.

I was surprised to see that on the international flights, there were only female F/As.
Also, on the international flights, the F/As were quite young (the oldest one was maybe 45) whereas on the ORD-HNL flight, they were much older (the youngest one was maybe 50...).
Why these differences?
BTW, I found most F/As quite friendly
Let me answer the SFO-CDG-SFO part.
All female is pure coincidence. Good eye to notice the crew is younger. When this flight resumed in April last year, it was super senior, like China seniority, 35+ years to hold it. Since last spring, the hotel has moved from a prime location to a less desirable location, so the seniors have gone to other flights, the juniors started to hold this trips. And it's true in some way that most seniors stay away from this trip, because they are not familiar with the airplane configuration. This 767E, it's a sUA metal but interior and galleys are sCO reconfigured, compared with usual sUA galleys, which were designed by FAs, 767E galleys are much less efficient and worker-friendly to sUA FAs. Also there are crew seats for the crew rest, for those who are used to have bunks ( 747s, 777s with bunks are all they get in SFO), can't get rest on 767E. This flight has highest rating among all international flights in SFO.

Last edited by mortenfan; Sep 2, 2014 at 7:12 pm
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by mortenfan
Let me answer the SFO-CDG-SFO part.
All female is pure coincidence. Good eye to notice the crew is younger. When this flight resumed in April last year, it was super senior, like China seniority, 35+ years to hold it. Since last spring, the hotel has moved from a prime location to a less desirable location, so the seniors have gone to other flights, the juniors started to hold this trips. And it's true in some way that most seniors stay away from this trip, because they are not familiar with the airplane configuration. This 767E, it's a sUA metal but interior and galleys are sCO designed, compared with usual sUA galleys, which were designed by FAs, 767E galleys are much less efficient and worker-friendly to sUA FAs. Also there are crew seats for the crew rest, for those who are used to have bunks ( 747s, 777s with bunks are all they get in SFO), can't get rest on 767E. This flight has highest rating among all international flights in SFO.
That is so true. On the side note, SFO-CDG is a 4 days trip with late arrival to SFO compare to other European 3 days trips so it is not desirable for the commuters. Most senior FAs in SFO are commuters, they would rather fly Asia trips with much earlier arrival back home so they can commute.

SFO-HNL could be flown by HNL base crews who are much more senior compare to SFO base crews.

Heck with it. Most sUA crews now a day has at least 10 yrs seniority or more so looking for a younger FA at sUA would not be that easy.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Does UA ever use arriving FAs to board then swap FAs for flight?

Yesterday, I was on SWA flight where the arriving crew stayed on the plane so the pax could board. We waited 15 min after boarding for the inbound FAs, they did an FA crew swap, and then we departed with the new crew. This swap probably saved about 40-50 minutes of everyone's time, since we didn't have to wait for the inbound crew to board.

Would UA ever do something like this swap? I've probably been on 50+ flights on UA where we've been delayed for late arriving crew. I've never seen this method on UA, but seems like an easy way to save money for UA and save paxs' time. I'm assuming it's against UA FA's work rules, but thought I'd share SWA's pretty neat trick.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know whether it was UA, but I've heard of legacy USA carriers at their hubs grabbing FAs that are sitting on reserve duty to come to the gate so that an aircraft can board before its own FAs arrive. In one story, the pilot requested this.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Yesterday, I was on SWA flight where the arriving crew stayed on the plane so the pax could board. We waited 15 min after boarding for the inbound FAs, they did an FA crew swap, and then we departed with the new crew. This swap probably saved about 40-50 minutes of everyone's time, since we didn't have to wait for the inbound crew to board.

Would UA ever do something like this swap? I've probably been on 50+ flights on UA where we've been delayed for late arriving crew. I've never seen this method on UA, but seems like an easy way to save money for UA and save paxs' time. I'm assuming it's against UA FA's work rules, but thought I'd share SWA's pretty neat trick.
Most airlines will do this on occasion if they know the inbound crew may be late, but the aircraft and pax are ready to go. I've done this a few times when a FA on airport standby will stand in for boarding, and then leave once the working crew arrives.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Flight attendents are usually paid for block times - i.e. from the time the door closes to the time the door opens. Because the block times represent a small portion of the total time they are on duty, the hourly pay rate is much higher than the one for airport agents. If they board a flight they are not working, they do so on their own time and do not get paid any money.

It may be different at Southwest.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Gets you thinking.

Since a FA's job is mainly safety and said training revolves around that, I wonder if there exists a business model to have ground crew based boarding so FAs can basically go from gate to gate and maximize flight time..
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know whether it was UA, but I've heard of legacy USA carriers at their hubs grabbing FAs that are sitting on reserve duty to come to the gate so that an aircraft can board before its own FAs arrive. In one story, the pilot requested this.
FAs on reserve duty are not usually at the airport. They will be on reserve for a 24-hour period during which they have to be reachable by telephone or call in to crew scheduling periodically.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:46 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Does UA ever use arriving FAs to board then swap FAs for flight?
I had this happen BOS-SFO on a PMUA 57 about 2 years ago where the one remaining F/A was stuck on the T* and one of the inbound F/A's stayed on-board to do the safety check and during boarding so not to delay the flight and when she arrived the inbound and late arriving F/A just swapped out ^

*Gate agent made an announcement that the f/a had called in and said she was going to be about 20 minutes late
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:51 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Old UA did not, old CO did. New UA does on occasion.

Last edited by fastair; Sep 23, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:40 am

Doesn't the 767E have ovens for Y instead of the new tech carts? It's hard to find compliments about the Y meals coming from the new tech carts. Warm salad and all...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:07 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by fastair
Old UA did not, old CO did. New UA does on occasion.
Based on our contract, sUA does not. sCO does.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by zoegksf
SFO-CDG is a highly desirable route with very senior FA's. I have had some of my best trips on this route.
Agree, great FA's on this route
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a flight crew has a multi-day layover do they get paid for the days between flights? Back in March I was on a EWR-LIS flight and while waiting for the door to open I struck up a conversation with a FA who said they 3 day layover before returning. Ever since I've been wondering, among other things, if those 3 days were unpaid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.