Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
http://www.calafa.org/jnc/jnc-update-april-4-7-2016

Looks like a contract proposal may be presented the week of April 18th.
I feel like it would be a minor (maybe major?) miracle if the FA groups could sign a unified contract.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
sCO FAs can only work Continental aircraft; sUA FAs can only work United aircraft. Exception is sUA FAs work certain 739ER aircraft (Tail #s 801 on up). Services are pretty much similar. Procedures are a tad different. Example sCO FAs position bid so we know where on the aircraft we are working before getting to the airport, sUA picks their position onboard the aircraft.

sCO: 787/777(GE)/764/757(RR)/737-700/800/900/900ER (Tail #s 401 - 478)
sUA 747/777(PW)/763/757(PW)/737-900ER (Tail #s801 - 849; 880 - 892)
How does that work for UA crews deciding on board the aircraft? Seems like people have their preferences and at the last minute things can get really busy with little time to discuss who works where.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:22 pm

Sad news for the United FA family more importantly the sUA EWR base
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/05/flight_attendant_killed_by_car_was_in_newark_for_w .html
Old May 9, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Sad news for the United FA family more importantly the sUA EWR base
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/05/flight_attendant_killed_by_car_was_in_newark_for_w .html
Quite sad indeed. The details were sparse but it sounds like a horrible tragedy. So sorry to see this, especially to someone just getting started in life.

If there's some kind of a memorial fund or some such please share the details with the FT community. Thanks.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:48 pm

Making progress:

http://www.calafa.org/mec/seniority-integration-update-including-initial-training-credit

So looks like we should have a single seniority list for all 3 work groups (sCO,sCMI, sUA) late July early August.

Last edited by JOSECONLSCREW28; May 27, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Old May 27, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Making progress:

http://www.calafa.org/mec/seniority-...raining-credit

So looks like we should have a single seniority list for all 3 work groups (sCO,sCMI, sUA) late July early August.
The info on seniority calculations is fascinating! The most amazing factoid that I picked up is that for CAL and CMI, the seniority date range begins on 1/1/1956.

Does that mean there is an employee at sCO who started work in 1956 and has been flying professionally for 60 years? This might make them eligible for the Guinness Book of World Records!
Old May 27, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
The info on seniority calculations is fascinating! The most amazing factoid that I picked up is that for CAL and CMI, the seniority date range begins on 1/1/1956.

Does that mean there is an employee at sCO who started work in 1956 and has been flying professionally for 60 years? This might make them eligible for the Guinness Book of World Records!
No that is just a generic guide the most senior FA on the sCO side has a June 1957 hire date.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
No that is just a generic guide the most senior FA on the sCO side has a June 1957 hire date.
So that individual has only been flying professionally for 59 years. Imagine what she or he has seen in that time!
Old May 27, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
So that individual has only been flying professionally for 59 years. Imagine what she or he has seen in that time!
She has seen alot that's for sure. She mainly flies EWR- Asia tho occasionally she will work EWR-Europe.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Tokyo FA base will still be there?

I saw job listing for UA Flight Attendants that speak Japanese for most (if not all) U.S. gateways to Japan, made me wonder will they reduce or close the Japan bases for Flight Attendants. I now there are some Taiwanese based in Japan, not sure they are still working there though? I was wondering any reason they would hire more USA based Japanese speaking FA's over those in Japan since I thought there was a FA base there?

http://jobs.united.com/japanese-spea...ndant/jobs-in/
Old May 28, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
She has seen alot that's for sure. She mainly flies EWR- Asia tho occasionally she will work EWR-Europe.
I wonder if she was the phenomenal flight attendant I was lucky to fly with EWR-HKG-EWR last year. I forget her name but she was amazing and had a smile from beginning to end of that long journey.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Taipei
I saw job listing for UA Flight Attendants that speak Japanese for most (if not all) U.S. gateways to Japan, made me wonder will they reduce or close the Japan bases for Flight Attendants. I now there are some Taiwanese based in Japan, not sure they are still working there though? I was wondering any reason they would hire more USA based Japanese speaking FA's over those in Japan since I thought there was a FA base there?

http://jobs.united.com/japanese-spea...ndant/jobs-in/
Yes the NRT base will remain open. The NRT sUA based FAs work HNL & GUM flights while ORD,IAD & SFO are mixed with crews from those respective cities.

EWR-NRT NTA/NLS
IAH-NRT HTA/HOS
LAX-NRT LAI/LOS
DEN-NRT NTA/HOS
ORD-NRT ORD/NRT
IAD-NRT DCA/NRT
SFO-NRT SFO/NRT
HNL-NRT NRT
GUM-NRT NRT
Old May 28, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Yes the NRT base will remain open. The NRT sUA based FAs work HNL & GUM flights while ORD,IAD & SFO are mixed with crews from those respective cities.

EWR-NRT NTA/NLS
IAH-NRT HTA/HOS
LAX-NRT LAI/LOS
DEN-NRT NTA/HOS
ORD-NRT ORD/NRT
IAD-NRT DCA/NRT
SFO-NRT SFO/NRT
HNL-NRT NRT
GUM-NRT NRT
Jose, thanks for posting. I thought that ICN-NRT was GUM based FAs and that they also flew GUM-NRT....
Old May 28, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Who does HNL-GUM flights on the sUA 777? NRT base.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Jose, thanks for posting. I thought that ICN-NRT was GUM based FAs and that they also flew GUM-NRT....
Oops forgot those thanks for catching those...yes the GUM base does GUM-NRT & NRT-ICN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.