New (?) terms in bold in partner airline section

Old Apr 22, 13, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Thumbs down New (?) terms in bold in partner airline section

I just noticed this and could not find any discussion about this topic :

Mileage accrual is subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program and, as provided therein, mileage will be credited in accordance with the terms and conditions of the MileagePlus Program in effect at the time of travel, not at the time air travel is purchased, booked or reserved, and accordingly miles may not be awarded for some tickets or miles may be awarded in an amount fewer than shown.

It certainly makes planning trips for eqm a bit more of a gamble, when did terms change?
Old Apr 22, 13, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
as posted in your other thread
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
This has always been the default reality and was changed a few months back. Some discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-evening.html

There were other changes such as making clear MM program was a part of MP.
BTW you can ask for misplaced threads to be move by clicking on the red triangle with "!"
Old Apr 22, 13, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I think the OP means the text that is shown on every "partner earning page", for example at http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=306 , not the content that is shown when the MileagePlus ToS are renewed / re-accepted.

That text was not present or bold in summer 2012, e.g. http://web.archive.org/web/201207291...spx?ItemId=306
Old Apr 22, 13, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
I think the OP means the text that is shown on every "partner earning page", for example at http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=306 , not the content that is shown when the MileagePlus ToS are renewed / re-accepted.

That text was not present or bold in summer 2012, e.g. http://web.archive.org/web/201207291...spx?ItemId=306
This.

I noticed it this weekend, too. It's probably been 3-4 weeks since I last had to look at partner earnings and I don't recall seeing it then. So it's a new addition.

-RM
Old Apr 22, 13, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I just noticed this and could not find any discussion about this topic :

Mileage accrual is subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program and, as provided therein, mileage will be credited in accordance with the terms and conditions of the MileagePlus Program in effect at the time of travel, not at the time air travel is purchased, booked or reserved, and accordingly miles may not be awarded for some tickets or miles may be awarded in an amount fewer than shown.

It certainly makes planning trips for eqm a bit more of a gamble, when did terms change?
Didn't change. They just never posted them before I guess
Old Apr 22, 13, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Probably in response to one of the class action lawsuits filed as the result of program changes.
Old Apr 22, 13, 9:40 pm

I think it's good. Too many people say, "Gee, I wasn't aware of that..."
Old Apr 22, 13, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by maus View Post
If you're counting on full credit for cheap fares, or if you're counting on bonus credit for premium fares, then I agree, it's a gamble. If you're hoping for 100% credit on an expensive fare, you'll more likely get what you expect.
Old Apr 23, 13, 3:50 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
If you're counting on full credit for cheap fares, or if you're counting on bonus credit for premium fares, then I agree, it's a gamble. If you're hoping for 100% credit on an expensive fare, you'll more likely get what you expect.
No it's the expensive fares are the worst, you can spend hours choosing an int'l biz class fare on the basis you'll get 200% miles then see them cut it back to 100%. SQ Z class for example.
Old Apr 23, 13, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by harryhv View Post
No it's the expensive fares are the worst, you can spend hours choosing an int'l biz class fare on the basis you'll get 200% miles then see them cut it back to 100%. SQ Z class for example.
In either case, it's pretty back-handed, and goes against the principle of an offer made and accepted.

In what other industry do you pay possibly months in advance for a service and then get told *after* the service is provided, "sorry, we changed our minds and only did half what we said we would do"?

Perhaps it's time FF accrual is built into the fare rules so that airlines can't change them after the purchase.
Old Apr 23, 13, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by harryhv View Post
I said 100% in my post for that reason.
Old Apr 29, 13, 4:36 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
This morning I found a new text on united.com-website, where the earning of miles from partner airlines is described:

It's written in bold letters and I've never seen it before.

Is this the end of adjusting the extra-PQMs on partner airlines like the FTers are reporting in this thread?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 29, 13 at 7:45 am Reason: moved to existing thread on this topic
Old Apr 29, 13, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR View Post
This morning I found a new text on united.com-website, where the earning of miles from partner airlines is described:

It's written in bold letters and I've never seen it before.

Is this the end of adjusting the extra-PQMs on partner airlines like the FTers are reporting in this thread?
That text has been there for a few months, and people have been writing posts to register their surprise as they see it for the first time.

See, for example, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-policies.html . (The policy is not new, but stating it on that page is new.)

This does not reflect any changes to UA's promised ad-hoc adjustments for retroactively awarding 150% for premium-cabin partner fares that they adjusted to 100%.
Old Apr 29, 13, 7:40 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
Thank you, mherdeg, for the explanation and the example-thread .

Search this Thread