Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incompetent 1K line:changes to awards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Incompetent 1K line:changes to awards

This will come off as a HUGE rant, but I am FUMING!

I had an award
EWR-AAA-BBB (stopover)
BBB-CCC-DDD (destination)
DDD-FFF-JFK

4 seats...saver business booked. EWR-AAA is booked on UA, rest booked with partners (LX, LH, OS). Europe-for July/August this year.

So I find a better EEE-FFF-JFK flight, that 1-lets us sleep in a little later in Europe, and 2-most importantly, gets us back into EWR, so no taxi/rental car/lugging kids further. EWR saves me 1-3 hours travel time, depending on traffic.

So..I call 1K line. Everything is fine, but now I must pay an additional 100K miles for the flight (25K/person). HUH???

The 1K agent tells me the reason...ALL travel-even flights with NO changes made to them- must be at the saver level when rebooking, and EWR-AAA isn't available anymore at the saver level!

Her recommendation is to take the first leg of the trip (IN JULY!!!) and then call in to see if EEE-FFF-EWR is now available!

I have made dozens...probably more than dozens of changes to award tickets and have NEVER heard such stupid talk from a 1K/GS agent!!

Funny...but I requested a supervisor and the (now b!tchy) reluctant agent came on and said "we can give you a ONE-TIME exception!!"

Last edited by PhillyPhlyer40; Apr 22, 2013 at 6:48 am Reason: updated-not an open jaw, changed EEE-FFF to DDD-FFF. NO EEE destination :)
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:21 pm

No need to rant. The 1K agent was right, those are the rules and many of us are aware of them ( at least I am ). You are lucky you did not have to pay with extra miles. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:28 pm

Future tip: Book one-way rewards.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
No need to rant. The 1K agent was right, those are the rules and many of us are aware of them ( at least I am ).
Can you explain these rules as you see them? Seems like a bad agent to me.

OP - that's the perfect time to hang up and call again. That agent is basically saying you need to cancel & re-book the whole thing just to change a single segment (or two in your case) - that's BS.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
That sounds like a new "rule" to me. I've made lots of changes to award tickets when some segments no longer have availability.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Future tip: Book one-way rewards.
no stopovers on OWs.
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
That sounds like a new "rule" to me. I've made lots of changes to award tickets when some segments no longer have availability.
ditto
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
+1
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
No need to rant. The 1K agent was right, those are the rules and many of us are aware of them ( at least I am ). You are lucky you did not have to pay with extra miles. Enjoy your trip.
UA insider...care to clarify the rule on award changes?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Um, no, they're not.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Agent wasn't right by any stretch of the imagination. OP, as others have recommended , hang up and call back, you'll probably get a "real" 1K agent who knows what they're doing. I've done this dozens of times. Also, shoot an email to customer service explaining that it shouldn't be your job to let agents know award rules and to have to waste your time calling back to go through the same issue.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I had an award
EWR-AAA-BBB (stopover)
BBB-CCC-DDD (destination)
EEE-FFF-JFK
This looks like a stop over on an open jaw award. I didn't think that was allowed... I thought you get to chose stop over OR open jaw?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

So-she issued my tickets under a "one-time exception"...but never had them issued!

I called back, and got a GREAT agent in Chicago-his comment was WOW!

Here were the issues-

They werent reissued properly
First agent booked me on 1235pm dep, 15 yr old son on 935
Something about "sync"

All-in, he re-did everything she was SUPPOSED to do, and it took ~3 minutes! ^

He did say-the rule is NOT that saver award needs to be available if you are NOT making changes! ^

Originally Posted by tann1001
This looks like a stop over on an open jaw award. I didn't think that was allowed... I thought you get to chose stop over OR open jaw?
Stopover and co-terminals. Have done JFK/EWR ~5 times previously. NOT open jaw.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 21, 2013 at 5:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tann1001
You can do both now - IIRC, you can actually do two open jaws
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:06 pm

I've made plenty of changes to an award that contains an AKL-YVR segment in C on NZ and there has been zero award inventory on that flight since I booked it back in December. I've made changes to both UA flights and non-UA flights on the itinerary and while I've had agents make up their own rules and had to hang up and call again, no one ever said changing one flight requires award inventory on all of the existing flights that aren't changing.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Stopover and co-terminals. Have done JFK/EWR ~5 times previously. NOT open jaw.
Actually I was referring to the DDD / EEE part at the destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.