Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Important Notice from United: Update regarding sequester impacts on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Important Notice from United: Update regarding sequester impacts on travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by steved5480
For the current day (beginning @ 0000z) go here:
http://.www.fly.faa.gov/adv/advAdvisoryForm.jsp & click "show selected advisories"
Link doesn't work.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:48 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
The command center site shows delays.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by flavorflav
Back on point: If the sequester's pain is as bad as advertised, a prudent outlook would be to treat every flying day like a day with a good chance of thunderstorms.

Travel early in the day -- a flight at 7 a.m. is less likely to be sacrificed at the traffic management altar than a flight at 5 p.m.

If you're flying into a smaller station like DSM that has limited service, consider padding your travel schedule by an extra few hours to accomodate a greater chance of irrops. If you need to be in DSM at noon Friday, consider leaving home at noon Thursday instead of 3 p.m. Thursday.

If you're making a connection and have a choice of connecting cities, consider choosing the city closest to your destination. For example, if you are flying MCO-DSM on UA you can connect at IAH, ORD or EWR. EWR-DSM is only 1x day and that flight is late in the day. ORD-DSM is 5x/day and only a six-hour drive if push comes to shove.

Even if you can fly direct, apply a strategic eye to your bookings. If EWR is your home airport and you're headed to DSM, there is a direct, nonstop flight. But as noted above it is 1x/day and late in the day. flightstats reports that the average delay for UA on that route is 83 minutes, and gives that route an 0 of 5 "very poor" rating. Even with a nonstop available, the EWR-based flyer might consider booking a connection early in the day through ORD as more reliable than the nonstop.
Good advice. Thx.

Cheers.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by l'etoile
The command center site shows delays.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp
That looks like a normal rainy day for the NYC airports, only it is clear and sunny today over here. I guess those short connection times for the mileage runners will result in missed connections, re-routes on more direct routes and original routing credit so maybe that is a positive for them?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by burlax
Right, because FAA sequester will affect ONLY one carrier, but not the others?
That's not what I said at all.......read the post I replied to. My answer was directed at the comment that if UA operated less flights or not have daily service we would adjust and just fly UA when they had flights available. My answer had nothing to do directly with the sequester but to take it further. The sequester will not affect every airline exactly the same way in each market. Red eyes for example will probably (just my opinion) be hurt less then a flight at noon on a Friday. If I want to fly from LAX-BOS under normal circumstances I would probably fly UA LAX-ORD/DEN-BOS but under the sequestration I would not even dream of that routing. Ill take AA's red eye non stop.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:15 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
LAX-SFO last night, 7:47 PM departure. After the flight boarded, the pilot announced on the PA that we had just been given a two-hour ground stop. He said he was surprised and didn't know the reason, since weather was fine at both LAX and SFO.

The crew came back on shortly after to say that the delay was due to the sequester, and that we should complain about it on http://www.dontgroundamerica.com. The crew then forced all passengers to get off the plane, taking bags all with us (i.e., forcing us to play the overhead bin rat race again) until it was time to leave.

Finally, on approach into SFO, the pilot changed his story. He announced on the PA that the delay was actually due to a runway closure at SFO for maintenance. (He did not acknowledge that he had, just hours before, incorrectly blamed the furlough.)

Assuming the pilots were not feigning ignorance about the runway closures, I find it amazing that they were completely unaware of the program at SFO, given that it was announced months ago:

http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/about...runway/updates

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...uary-june.html

Last edited by nnn; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:36 am Reason: Was LAX-SFO, not SFO-LAX
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by nnn
SFO-LAX last night, 7:47 PM departure. After the flight boarded, the pilot announced on the PA that we had just been given a two-hour ground stop. He said he was surprised and didn't know the reason, since weather was fine at both LAX and SFO.

The crew came back on shortly after to say that the delay was due to the sequester, and that we should complain about it on http://www.dontgroundamerica.com. The crew then forced all passengers to get off the plane, taking bags all with us (i.e., forcing us to play the overhead bin rat race again) until it was time to leave.

Finally, on approach into SFO, the pilot changed his story. He announced on the PA that the delay was actually due to a runway closure at SFO for maintenance. (He did not acknowledge that he had, just hours before, incorrectly blamed the furlough.)

Assuming the pilots were not feigning ignorance about the runway closures, I find it amazing that they were completely unaware of the program at SFO, given that it was announced months ago:

http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/about...runway/updates

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...uary-june.html
Yesterday as in April 21st? I don't see any scheduled closure for the 21st.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:35 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by edcho
Yesterday as in April 21st? I don't see any scheduled closure for the 21st.
It's there -- see below (start/end):

Code:
Runway 28R   Friday, April 19 at 10:00 p.m. PDT  Monday, April 22 at 8:00 a.m. PDT
(And I just realized I wrote SFO-LAX above when I meant LAX-SFO. Fixed now.)
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can see it now, UA is going to start blaming all delays on the sequester and say it is out of their control so no compensation.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DXjr
And 15 years ago, gas was $1/gal, the TSA didn't exist, and we were in a tech bubble.

Past performance does not predict future results.
Yes but 15 years ago, I could also fly ORD-LAS for $100.00. Trust me, I did it once a week. 13 regional flights from ORD-IND is overboard. It should be spread out with 5 or 6 a day on mainline aircraft. Those 13 gas thirsty regionals are wasting just as much fuel as 5 or 6 mainline flights. There are several markets like this. Plenty of markets can drop a few regionals and be replaced with Mainline. Look at EWR and LGA, all the regionals there have clogged the airways.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:07 am
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
This is nothing more than the government trying to coerce taxpayers into paying more taxes through manipulation.
What is the actual budget reduction for the FAA? Is it a budget REDUCTION from the previous year or a reduction in the budget increase? (Their budget would have increased 5% but with Sequestration, the budget will only increase 2%?????)

I know every U.S. household with a worker saw their budget cut 2.5% when Obama raised the social security tax 2.5%. How come OUR household budget cut didn't create Armageddon....

If a similar budget cut creates havoc on the government, why do politicians/government agencies not have sympathies when it's the other guys facing cuts?

PBQ
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by nnn
It's there -- see below (start/end):

Code:
Runway 28R   Friday, April 19 at 10:00 p.m. PDT  Monday, April 22 at 8:00 a.m. PDT
(And I just realized I wrote SFO-LAX above when I meant LAX-SFO. Fixed now.)
This person is blind... Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Yes but 15 years ago, I could also fly ORD-LAS for $100.00.
On an inflation-adjusted average basis fares are lower today than 15 years ago.

But I don't know that we need to let actual data get in the way of the irrational rant and total misunderstanding of the market.

Europe has a bunch of CR2s, E45s, CR7s, CR9s and other RJs flying around. There are a few airlines in Europe where those are the main components in the fleet.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Yes but 15 years ago, I could also fly ORD-LAS for $100.00. Trust me, I did it once a week. 13 regional flights from ORD-IND is overboard. It should be spread out with 5 or 6 a day on mainline aircraft. Those 13 gas thirsty regionals are wasting just as much fuel as 5 or 6 mainline flights. There are several markets like this. Plenty of markets can drop a few regionals and be replaced with Mainline. Look at EWR and LGA, all the regionals there have clogged the airways.
And the reason it cost $100? Because fuel was under $1, and airlines had no problem flying empty 727/737/DC-9s throughout the country, but now, everything is conserve, conserve, conserve, and that means strategic route planning using an aircraft that best fits the route.

I believe the word you want is "consolidated," as "spread out" would mean that the status quo schedule is better. Besides, EWR and LGA are hubs (UA, DL, respectively) those regional jets have to serve SOMEWHERE that mainline can't profitably.

To sum this up, I do believe that SOME consolidation would work, but to drop the regionals and regional jets entirely because you don't like them would hurt the network more than it helps.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
If a storm is coming, UA can proactively adjust their schedules to make the un-cancelled flights more likely to leave on time or announce delays well in advance. Why can't this be handled the same way? You know the ATC schedules, you know the volume of traffic that can be handled, and you can predict now the chance of a particular flight later this week being delayed/canceled.

I rely on day trips often for meetings to cities east of the Mississippi. Wednesday I'm planning the first am EWR-IAD flight down and the last one back. The vast majority of the time, the first flight of the day leaves on time and I can plan destination meetings accordingly. If flights (particularly UAEX flights) start routinely departing late or having last minute cancellations, then I'll have to start going in the night before. That increases costs for my company, as well as many others, which costs ultimately end up passed to consumers or result in lower dividends for shareholders. What was the point of the sequester again?

This could also make it even tougher on people that don't get free SDC's, assuming UA hasn't issued a blanket waiver (haven't been paying attention).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.