Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
If there is award space on the first leg of an international routing but not on the second, is there a way to use miles + cash so its all one ticket and I'm protected in case of delays, etc.? I dont want to buy two separate tickets.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2022 at 7:40 pm Reason: moved to existing discussion
Old May 8, 2022, 7:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
If there is award space on the first leg of an international routing but not on the second, is there a way to use miles + cash so its all one ticket and I'm protected in case of delays, etc.? ....
No can not be done.

The nearest option, if you have Chase MP credit card miles, is you can use the miles as statement credit @ 1 cpm, not great but many awards are much better.

UA does offer a Money + Miles, see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?. Again check pricing to see if this is a reasonable option, many times it is not.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2022 at 7:50 pm Reason: UA's Money+ Miles option
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:47 am

Booking Question - Cash plus miles

Is it possible, via the united website, to book 1 ticket in Business class and 1 ticket using miles? My wife is joining me on a business trip to Europe and I would like to have her on the same booking record - though I will be using miles for her ticket. If it isn't possible I will book them separately, but hoping to make life simple for me. I am 1k and she has no status on United.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No, you cannot have an award ticket and a cash ticket on the same PNR by any means.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 5:47 pm

Traveling with Family - Cash and award Fares on Same Itinerary?

It probably makes sense for me to pay cash for flights for premier status maintenance purposes, and use miles for family.

Can I book a single itinerary for myself and my family and pay cash for my flight, points for theirs? If not, anything to do to help with IROPS etc? I screwed up this year using miles for my flights and cash on family's sometimes and now we have no status lol. My 3 year old doesn't need miles right now... Any thoughts on family travel are helpful
Old Nov 19, 2022, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ironcow13
Can I book a single itinerary for myself and my family and pay cash for my flight, points for theirs?
No. All passengers on a PNR must use the same form of payment.

Originally Posted by ironcow13
If not, anything to do to help with IROPS etc?
Cross your fingers and hope for the best? Seriously, you just have to work with it. It's up to you if you think the probability of IRROPS is sufficient to make your decisions for you.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:58 am

How can I buy a cash ticket and award ticket together?

Hi, I want to book a trip for me and my wife. The current price for the ticket is quite expensive, but I do have enough miles to exchange for an award ticket. I also have a premium silver status so I would like to book for her award ticket together with my cash ticket so it's under the same booking with my premium benefits. Is that doable? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gongtiger
How can I buy a cash ticket and award ticket together?
Not possible. To be on the same PNR, all passenger must be on the same ticket type (and the same routing, fare class, cabin, ....)
Some benefits can be shared with an off-pnr companion (security, boarding, E+ access, ....)
Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]
but not bag allowance.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:51 am

Looks like combining an award ticket and a paid ticket under the same booking is not available. What about one regular ticket and one cheaper class like basic economy? Can that be booked under the same booking using the premium benefit from one person?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not possible. To be on the same PNR, all passenger must be on the same ticket type (and the same routing, fare class, cabin, ....)
Some benefits can be shared with an off-pnr companion (security, boarding, E+ access, ....)
but not bag allowance.
Thank you! Your prompt reply beat my slow typing. Already answered my second question.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Mixing award travel and paid travel on same itinerary

Hi there,

I searched and didn't find much on this. I want to book three tickets on UA metal on the same flight to Mexico. The tickets are $700 each. I have $1300 in my Travel Bank and want to use that +$100 to pay for two of the tickets. I want to book the 3rd ticket using UA miles. The 3 tickets would be for me, my wife, and our 2-year old child. Is there any risk involved of us being split up? Can I call and have revenue and award tickets combined on the same itinerary? Or is this not an issue? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You can't put on same itinerary. One option is book child separately, and call UA when you need to tell them you have adults booked together.

The other option is to see whether 2x one way are about the same price, and then do paid one way and award the other way.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
Can I call and have revenue and award tickets combined on the same itinerary?
No, this can't be done.

Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done. "Linking" PNRs, no benefit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
It should be fine booking separate tickets. Minor issues might arise if they swap aircraft, you may get split up, but typically this can be fixed.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 2:34 pm

Booking travel for two people: using miles for one person and cash for the other.

I’m traveling roundtrip between ORD and LGA in August and I have enough Mileageplus miles to buy one round trip ticket, but not nearly enough for two tickets. When I try to book a flight online with miles and choose two travelers for the reservation, it automatically shows a huge amount that is required to purchase enough miles for the second ticket. If I try to book just a single traveler, I never get a choice before checkout to add a second passenger with a cash fare. Do I have to book this as two separate reservations? I prefer to have all travelers under the same record locator, so I’m wondering if this is possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.