Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat
She can get the same seats as you if you call in. And you can waitlist her for CPUs at the airport.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jan 11, 2018 at 10:07 am Reason: Correction ;)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
And you can waitlist her for CPUs at the airport.
No CPU unless she has a MileagePlus Visa card - she's on an award ticket.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No CPU unless she has a MileagePlus Visa card - she's on an award ticket.
Good point! Although I suppose it can be done in practice (there was a Silver blogger and his wife).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Not exactly true. In the past 3 months, I am 4/4 reservations where the person on my PNR (unrelated, adult 18+, different last name) has gotten TSA Precheck because I have it.

Being on the same PNR seems to extend these benefits.
I believe those companion precheck benefits are being phased out. See - https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/31/this...-for-some.html .

As to the family members, it sounds like it's time to get the rest of the family (age 13+) enrolled in GE or precheck and avoid that issue all-together in the future. On the bright side -- booking 7 award segments to take the family to Hawaii is a noble use of the miles. Here's hoping you get op-upped to first on your separate PNR (and give the seat to the wife, of course )!!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by onthesam
I believe those companion precheck benefits are being phased out. See - https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/31/this...-for-some.html .

As to the family members, it sounds like it's time to get the rest of the family (age 13+) enrolled in GE or precheck and avoid that issue all-together in the future. On the bright side -- booking 7 award segments to take the family to Hawaii is a noble use of the miles. Here's hoping you get op-upped to first on your separate PNR (and give the seat to the wife, of course )!!
That's what I thought! But it's been a year since that article and since the TSA announced they were phasing out "benefits" yet it keeps on happening
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
She can get the same seats as you if you call in.
Actually, this is very much a YMMV situation. The E+ benefit is supposed to be to allow an elite member to sit with the remainder of the party. If OP buys a business class ticket, OP's wife is technically not eligible for free E+ seating. And there is no companion upgrade benefit on an award ticket, so I think the only way she'd be upgrade eligible is if she were the primary cardholder for an eligible card and also had elite status on her own.

You may be able to talk an agent into a baggage waiver at check-in, although that's technically against policy as well and I haven't seen a lot of success reported.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
If OP buys a business class ticket, OP's wife is technically not eligible for free E+ seating. And there is no companion upgrade benefit on an award ticket, so I think the only way she'd be upgrade eligible is if she were the primary cardholder for an eligible card and also had elite status on her own.
Oh wow. I missed that since OP didn't come out and say they were leaving the Mrs behind! I would also agree YMMV on the seating.

I agree there are generally no free upgrades on awards as @mahasamatman also pointed out. (I was thinking of 2 revenue tickets when I wrote my comment.)

As for bags, fat chance! I once tried to waive for a friend (2 revenue PNRs, same routing) and the TA supervisor flat out denied. Ended up checking her bag, carrying mine thru security and checking thru at the gate for free. A waste of time if you ask me but at least they're protecting their precious ancillary fees. Of course this probably wouldn't work with a big bag or toiletries etc.

@dts9 Why not just book the wife in biz? That would solve all these problems. And if it's a UA flight you can do Plan B.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jan 11, 2018 at 10:12 am Reason: Added suggestion
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Looking at a quick flight but my mileage balance only has enough for 1 way.

Can I book 1 way with miles and the return with cash or do I need to book 2 one ways?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by energydj

Can I book 1 way with miles and the return with cash or do I need to book 2 one ways?
You will need to book 2 one ways. Hopefully, it's to a destination that the one way are not way too expensive (from/to Europe the one way can be quite expensive). Maybe you are better off paying for the roundtrip. Naturally it changes the equation if you have enough points one way for Polaris Business.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 10, 2019 at 11:59 am Reason: Added comment
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

As two separate OW tickets yes. As a single ticket, no.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As two separate OW tickets yes. As a single ticket, no.
Cheers, that rules that out so. I have enough for 1 one way but the return one way makes it uneconomical.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Cheers, that rules that out so. I have enough for 1 one way but the return one way makes it uneconomical.
International?

One solution is to buy the miles (usually can get miles for 2cpm) and a return from Europe in economy 30K would be $600 for the additional miles. Still a little pricey but far cheaper than a $ OW ticket

The other possiblility is to look for a highly competitive route, those are the best hopes for OWs priced at 1/2 RTs

Or look at a new credit card with a high mileage signup bonus -- such as 50K miles.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
International?

One solution is to buy the miles (usually can get miles for 2cpm) and a return from Europe in economy 30K would be $600 for the additional miles. Still a little pricey but far cheaper than a $ OW ticket

The other possiblility is to look for a highly competitive route, those are the best hopes for OWs priced at 1/2 RTs

Or look at a new credit card with a high mileage signup bonus -- such as 50K miles.
Yeh its international from Europe so (a) its expensive and (b) the credit card thing won't work. Thanks anyway.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeh its international from Europe so (a) its expensive and (b) the credit card thing won't work. Thanks anyway.
Do you have particular locations and times in mind? How about a budget?

In March, there are o/w fares for, e.g., AUS-DUB for $500,
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=A...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o
or PSP for a little less than $600
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=P...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o
etc.

For o/w revenue fares, the ex-US is typically cheaper than the to-US.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:30 am

Combining Reservations and Changing Flights

I purchased a one way ticket (NONREF/0VALUAFTDPT/CHGFEE) to Denver (have confirmation number) and I purchased my return ticket (RWD/NONEND/-TRAN;VALID UA;NOT VALID AFTER 1/7/2020) separately using award miles (have separate confirmation number).

I want to change both flights to later dates. I notice when I go to "Manage Reservations" there is an option to combine them.

The question is... if I combine them, will I only have to pay one change fee, rather than two separate change fees if I don't combine them?

I'll probably hold off canceling/changing on the chance a weather event pops and they offer free rescheduling. Does that make sense as well?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.