United merged my MP account with my Dad's

Old Apr 18, 13, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
United merged my MP account with my Dad's

Gah - what a mess.

I have the same name as my Dad. I still use my childhood home address as my US mailing address. I presume this is not too uncommon to have two people with the same name and address with different MP accounts - it's worked fine for me for 15 years. We have different birthdates of course, so that's the easiest differentiator.

I had a recurring problem where Chase seemingly had linked my CC to my Dad's MP number. No biggie, he got my miles for a number of years, and I don't spend that much on credit cards anyway. Anyway I called to fix this a week ago and they said they would fix it - I sat on the phone with MileagePlus and Chase at the same time and everybody clearly understood that all they had to do was change the MP number on the card to my own.

A week later I'm trying to make a reservation change in DC and when I go to log into the website I get a message (paraphrasing) "This MP number has been merged with MP number xxxxx - please use this MP number to log in."

I called in to ask them to undo this clear mistake, and the MP agent apologized and said it was some mistake, but they cannot reactivate my account now that it has been deleted. Rather they want to create a new account for me and credit my miles etc. to that account.

I have 1K status with hundreds of thousands of miles, many GPU/CPUs, active current and future reservations, Precheck FINALLY working properly everytime. I can't imagine how many headaches this is going to cause to create a new account.

I talked to a supervisor and she said she would submit a request to corporate to "unmerge" the accounts, which they would respond to within 7-10 business days. Great - between now and then I have no status, no account etc. and am planning to fly to Africa on *A next week, not to mention other headaches I presume.

Has anybody had this happen? What a mess! What should I check on after they rectify the mistake? How can I get PreCheck working again the fastest way? I am pretty sure the damage is done and they basically have to create a new account for me, the agent said the old account is gone.
Old Apr 18, 13, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
If you got all your mile, GPU, RPU and status back to this account. It is not bad to have this account. Two people accumulate miles and status,right?
Old Apr 19, 13, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980 View Post
If you got all your mile, GPU, RPU and status back to this account. It is not bad to have this account. Two people accumulate miles and status,right?
Unless they are flying together.
Old Apr 19, 13, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
This should also break Pre-Check, depending on how aggressively they correlate birthdate vs. known traveler number. (That would be an interesting experiment.)
Old Apr 19, 13, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Or traveling the same time on different flights.

One would have to travel without the M+ in the PNR and then request post flight credit.
Old Apr 19, 13, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP did you have Jr or II after your name on your acct? Does your PP have Jr or II?
Old Apr 19, 13, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Good lord.

CO is not good at exception handling, and this is quite the exception.
Old Apr 19, 13, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HKChicago View Post
I had a recurring problem where Chase seemingly had linked my CC to my Dad's MP number. No biggie, he got my miles for a number of years,
Umm...well, you let it go for years. I'm not all that surprised that trying to resolve it made a mess.
Old Apr 28, 13, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
Well, it's been awhile and United has not resolved this. My guess is they aren't going to do anything unless I call again.

The idea of just continuing to use the same account as my Dad is interesting: Do you all think I should try this? What would be the problems/benefits (aside from the obvious one of my Dad having 1K status?)

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 13, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Maybe your dad did it as payment for having to sort and store your mail for the last 15 years.
Old Apr 28, 13, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HKChicago View Post
The idea of just continuing to use the same account as my Dad is interesting: Do you all think I should try this? What would be the problems/benefits (aside from the obvious one of my Dad having 1K status?)
I wouldn't risk it. I think you open yourself up to United canceling your account and taking your miles if they decide you are and have been acting in a fraudulent manner to provide / share status with someone else. Even though the case is documented they have a fair amount of latitude to make a move like that.
Old Apr 28, 13, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
My father and I have the same first and last name, but different middle names. He doesn't fly, so never had this with UA. I did have it with my credit report though - apparently it made sense for me to have a tax lien on a property in 1989 when I was 5 years old. That took a little bit to resolve, but it was done and apparently happens a lot. Also had this with the US post office, who apparently cannot distinguish names with different middle initials. That was a real headache to resolve and I lost my mail for months.

You can always credit the flights afterwards, but lounge access would be an issue unfortunately. Perhaps you can get them to provide a letter to facilitate lounge access?
Old Apr 28, 13, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Originally Posted by brp1264 View Post

You can always credit the flights afterwards, but lounge access would be an issue unfortunately. Perhaps you can get them to provide a letter to facilitate lounge access?
Why? Did his 1K card w/ *A Gold emblazoned cease to exist? Or is there now some kind of real-time database query? Haven't flown *A internationally for quite some time so that's not rhetorical...

Search this Thread