Using Award Miles for Return Trip in July

Old Apr 18, 13, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Using Award Miles for Return Trip in July

Hi All,

I'm planning an open jaw vacation to Europe from Boston and I'm hoping you can share your insight. Based on the miles I have, I plan to fly in on American and out on United. I'm looking at arriving in London to visit friends for a few days before taking EasyJet or RyanAir to a TBD airport in Eastern Europe to start my personal travels. I also plan to fly out of E. Europe, although my return is somewhat flexible. My goal is to hit Krakow, Prague, Budapest and places in between via train, and fly out of whatever airport I can that will allow me to use my miles at some point between 19-21 July.

Right now there are very few saver/economy options available to fly out on those dates, as they all seem to be reserved for first/business awards. This seems to be the case throughout all the European airports I've checked (I have no problem flying a low-cost carrier to another airport if I can use award miles to get back to the US). In your opinions, will more economy award seats be made available in the coming weeks, or should I plan to book now or make other arrangements before airfare goes up?

PS - Flying back on American makes no sense, as every flight happens to connect through London, incurring the ridiculous $300 fuel surcharge(?) fee.

Search this Thread