Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fee Increase to $200/300

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by DudeE
My point is that the change fee is not anchored to any actual cost or revenue loss. It is simply charged "because they can." In other words, they're willing to give up the seat for $180. Once you don't want it, it's worth $200 plus whatever they get when it's resold.
The change fee is anchored to the incentive to pay extra for fully refundable tickets. If change fees are too cheap, then fully refundable fares become unsellable. As has been correctly pointed out above, this is all about unbundling the price to change/refund a previously purchased ticket. You can pay this price up front by buying a refundable fare, or you can pay this price as needed later on by buying a discount non-refundable fare. The reason the non-refundable fare is cheaper is because this price has been unbundled from it. It is absurd to think about this as gouging or punitive or any of the other morally laden terms being bandied about.

And as far as "because they can", I am having trouble thinking of any alternative basis on which a business should price what it sells besides what consumers are willing to pay for it. Are you proposing government price controls?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The concept of price gouging is absolutely prohibited by Federal law under 49 USC 41712 covering unfair and deceptive practices and unfair methods of competition that "causes or is likely to cause substantial injury to consumers, cannot be reasonably avoided by consumers, and is not outweighed by countervailing benefits to consumers or to competition."

The airline industry as about as far from perfect competition as any industry can get. Not even remotely close.
With all due respect, this statute has absolutely no relation to the fees that you are complaining about. And hence you don't see class action lawyers lining up at the trough to sue airlines

While there are some state law statutes that prohibit price-gouging during natural disaster events (i.e. doubling water prices after a hurricane) there are none that apply to routine fees imposed by common carriers (not to mention that SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled that federal law preempts state law relating to airline contracts).

I don't think anyone on FT is excited about paying change fees. But that does not make them illegal, or even bad business.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I have an IAD-ORD leg and then ORD-NRT. They had me landing at 11:15 and an ORD departure time at 12:05.
Originally Posted by sbm12
That's a completely reasonable connection in ORD and I'd take it without much concern.
I wouldn't put anyone I know or care about on a UNITED, ORD D-I connection with only 50 minutes. It can take that long for UNITED to find an open gate after an early arrival.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My point is that the change fee is not anchored to any actual cost or revenue loss. It is simply charged "because they can." In other words, they're willing to give up the seat for $180. Once you don't want it, it's worth $200 plus whatever they get when it's resold.

I don't understand why the fact is even relevant to whether or not a change fee is reasonable. You could possibly liken it to a deeply discounted retail item sold as 'final sale.' The difference is that I've actually received something of value in the end. While I can't return it, I can re-sell it or get whatever marginal use of it I might like. Now, if an airline allowed me to re-sell my seat then we're talking. But we can't so...there's that.

Is there any sense that - at some point - these fees are simply punitive and unreasonable? Where is that line? $500? $1,000? $10,000? It wasn't that long ago that change fees were $50 (and still are for many foreign carriers). The question is not "why is there a fee" but rather "what fee would be reasonable."

Again, why is that relevant to whether the change fee is reasonable? You could make the same statement when the fee was $50. You can still make the same statement when the fee is $10,000. Is the argument that, hey this is your fault so we can charge you any amount we'd like?
Analogies never work and they don't work here.

It's not price gouging and it most certainly isn't unfair or deceptive so long as change fees are disclosed. DOT rules require the disclosure and the disclosure is made (multiple times, I might add) between reviewing a routing and purchasing a ticket.

We all get it. Everybody wants to fly F in a lie-flat seat with lounge access and a chaufered car for $5. Nobody wants ticket restrictions such as change fees.

WN, for example, has tried to compete by not charging change fees and it holds its own but can't really dislodge any incumbent carrier.

Get rid of change fees or reduce them to their actual cost to the carrier and that's the end of the deep discounted tickets which many individuals rely on for leisure travel and businesses rely on for travel costs which can show ROI.

The issue is easily fixed by simply reinstituting the CAB and repealing the ADA. Set a fee per mile, have the government approve fares and there won't be any "gouging". But, fares are lower in today's dollars than they were back in 1984, when ADA largely repealed government fare regulation and those pesky discounts came into being.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:49 pm
RNE

I'd gladly pay United $300 to change a ticket—so long as they gave me $300 every time they changed my ticket.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
The whole argument about change fees ignores the fact that they are a penalty for changing a deeply discounted ticket.
Actually, penalties are strictly unenforceable as a matter of contract law, and any lawyer representing a legacy carrier would vehemently disagree with this characterization.

The change fee is a component of the fare pricing. Definitely not a penalty.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I wouldn't put anyone I know or care about on a UNITED, ORD D-I connection with only 50 minutes. It can take that long for UNITED to find an open gate after an early arrival.
Also I believe that is a so called "illegal connection" (too short). IF you don't make the connection UA may argue any expenses you encore are on you. This has happened to a family member of mine at JFK.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
Also I believe that is a so called "illegal connection" (too short). IF you don't make the connection UA may argue any expenses you encore are on you. This has happened to a family member of mine at JFK.
Off-topic, but that is a legal connection at ORD.

There is certainly no need to lecture anc-ord772 on what an illegal connection is
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:21 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The reason there is a change fee is to allow price discrimination. If you want flexibility in your ticket, you pay more up front in the form of a refundable ticket. Who buys refundable tickets? In general, business people who have deeper pockets (usually OPM, of course). Leisure travelers, by contrast, have less to spend, but they are willing to put up with non-refundability, Saturday night stays, etc.

In the end, it's about extracting maximum value from each traveler, which results is maximum revenue for the airline. It's basically the same rationale for offering a rebate for turning in a worthless old mattress or cell phone. People with mattresses and phones are generally not willing to spend as much on new items as those without them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.