Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fee Increase to $200/300

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by fastair
And of course, make all non-refundable tickets exactly that, including non-exchangable, after all, if you bought the seat on that flight, just like at Wrigley Field, there is no credit, no exchange, and no refund (although you can sell it for face value to another, which is different than the airlines.) I mean, you bought it, you took it out of inventory where it could not be resold (at least for a time, maybe even beyond the typical booking window,) no point in a fee, just make you lose 100% of the purchase price.
I agree. Let me sell to someone else for face value.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
taxes refunded?

If this has been answered in this long thread my apologies, search function didn't show an answer.

I'm cancelling my DEN-PHX flight. It cost $180 plus $35 in taxes. I'm ok with the loss of the ticket price due to the $200 change fee, but shouldn't my taxes be refunded in full?

When I try to cancel online it tells me no credit would be issued at all.

Guess I'm going to have to try it and see what happens.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
You will have a $215 flight credit that you can use after paying the change fee. They don't split up the amount paid into airfare and taxes.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:40 am

Changes are always permanent. Why dont these charges be permanent....
Old May 16, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
2B chanted to the tune of "Co-pacetic" circa early 2000s:
SO-PATHETIC! SO-PATHETIC!

Last edited by Brendan; May 16, 2013 at 3:50 pm
Old May 20, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
now congress is staring to get involved

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sen-de...164701046.html
Old May 20, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
We don't need congress involved because this isn't a big deal. Flying is an extremely elastic product. If you are on a fixed income or money is otherwise tight, then don't take a vacation.

The change fee is just part of the expenses of flying whether we like it or not. Best way to avoid it is don't book until your plans are final, otherwise just something you have to accept when you click that you agree to the terms and conditions.

There, gotta stop now or I risk going into OMNI territory.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
We don't need congress involved because this isn't a big deal. Flying is an extremely elastic product. If you are on a fixed income or money is otherwise tight, then don't take a vacation.

The change fee is just part of the expenses of flying whether we like it or not. Best way to avoid it is don't book until your plans are final, otherwise just something you have to accept when you click that you agree to the terms and conditions.

There, gotta stop now or I risk going into OMNI territory.
Actually, I think there is an argument that taxes should be fully refundable at point of cancellation.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
We don't need congress involved because this isn't a big deal.
While I would agree it always amazes me how politically naďve some otherwise savvy companies can be. The thing with stuff like this is that there is a trigger point where an issue becomes something that politicians take on because of the visibility and "big guy vs poor little guy" PR independent of whether the issue calls for that. I actually think that if anything congress should mandate a secondary market in airline tickets (there really is no reason why with reasonable procedures transferring a purchased ticket should create any security risk). That would make airline tickets sensibly completely non-refundable just like concert tickets or prepaid hotel rooms. I'm not so sure that at the end of the day either the airlines or the traveling public would actually like such a system better but it is hard to argue that it wouldn't be more fair. But as it is I fear that with all the fees the airlines are getting close to trigger a major overreaction from congress that no one will actually like - least of all the airlines. Like I said - politically naďve.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Pdx1M, I heard that the reason airlines have not allowed name changes is to prevent scalpers from gobbling up all the tickets on high-demand flights, such as US mainland to Hawaii on the weekends before & after Christmas! Just like certain concerts sell out in the first 10 seconds of sale! It would be a good idea if that could be prevented.

WestJet & a few other airlines already do allow name changes for a small fee--so if a company buys an airline ticket in advance for one employee to attend a conference, who then gets sick, someone else can go in his place without losing the advance-purchase rate!
Old May 21, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Brendan
Pdx1M, I heard that the reason airlines have not allowed name changes is to prevent scalpers from gobbling up all the tickets on high-demand flights, such as US mainland to Hawaii on the weekends before & after Christmas! Just like certain concerts sell out in the first 10 seconds of sale! It would be a good idea if that could be prevented.

WestJet & a few other airlines already do allow name changes for a small fee--so if a company buys an airline ticket in advance for one employee to attend a conference, who then gets sick, someone else can go in his place without losing the advance-purchase rate!
They should allow name changes so long as there is proof that the two names are infact the same person.
As for concert ticket scalping I find it's not exactly a bad thing (though I get loads of airline miles from manufacturing spend and a profit most of the time.)
Old May 21, 2013, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
They should allow name changes so long as there is proof that the two names are infact the same person.
If you're talking about correcting errors in names, they do. That's an administrative process though - what was being referred to above is the ability to resell your ticket to someone else.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
I just payed $250 to change an international ticket on a U fare when two months ago I paid $175 on a W fare for such change?

Is this price normal? I confronted the agent she said it is in the rules but I can not find anywhere where the price is stated in the eticket, it only says: -REFUNDABLE/CXLFEE/CHGFEE

Can someone tell me if this is correct?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This question is specific to the rules of the fare purchased and, often, the location from which the purchase was made.

By way of example, the change fee for US-based purchases of intl. restricted tickets recently increased from $250 to $300.

You should be able to find the exact fee for your specific ticket by clicking on "fare rules" once you bring up the specific reservation you may wish to change. The fee should be in both the summary and the body of the full set of rules for the fare.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
I bring up the reservation but there is no link to go to the fare rules...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.