Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fee Increase to $200/300

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fieldeng
The same exact fee and amount can't be a good thing for 1 airline and a bad thing for another. That's crafty spinning.
Point me to the spin?

It's addl $ for all. But - three majors made $ in Q1 - the 4th didn't, and decided to raise more revenue in a different way. Simple as that.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
DL matched yesterday? AA matched today. I guess its not going back down.
Old May 1, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

More business for WN from those who require frequent changes or those like me who want to lock price early and get credit if price drops.

Less incentive to buy legacy airline tix 11 months in advance - general public will start waiting until 4-6 months out to buy tix.

Only time will tell whether net revenue from new fees (and unused tix) exceeds biz that is switched to other carriers and benefits to carriers from early bookings.

I predict more discounting by these carriers as early bookings evaporate.
Old May 1, 2013, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

If WN matches then we are all toast.

Until then, the majority of US has a very good alternative option.
Old May 1, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I wouldn't be surprised if this starts to trigger some congress members thinking about new regulations needed. At some point where the change fee > average one-way ticket price, the tickets are de facto completely non-refundable. This may need to be disclosed more adequately.

Alternatively, it could make sense to have a sliding change-fee scale based on time to departure. Someone making a change 6 months out has a reasonable argument that the carrier has plenty of time to resell or adjust inventory; whereas, someone making a change 2 days out greatly limits the carrier's ability to resell that inventory.

On the flip side, maybe this relationship has to be made more symmetrical, like it is in the EU. Perhaps the US needs institute the rather serious delay/cancellation compensation that the EU has instituted. This way carriers are penalized just as much for "changes" to passengers' itineraries.
Old May 1, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I wouldn't be surprised if this starts to trigger some congress members thinking about new regulations needed. At some point where the change fee > average one-way ticket price, the tickets are de facto completely non-refundable. This may need to be disclosed more adequately.

Alternatively, it could make sense to have a sliding change-fee scale based on time to departure. Someone making a change 6 months out has a reasonable argument that the carrier has plenty of time to resell or adjust inventory; whereas, someone making a change 2 days out greatly limits the carrier's ability to resell that inventory.

On the flip side, maybe this relationship has to be made more symmetrical, like it is in the EU. Perhaps the US needs institute the rather serious delay/cancellation compensation that the EU has instituted. This way carriers are penalized just as much for "changes" to passengers' itineraries.
I like the way you think!
Old May 1, 2013, 7:14 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by astroflyer

The sliding scale (as difficult as it would be to impliment) was already suggested (by me) and isn't a bad concept. As for the 2nd part, one should then have the govt do the same for phone service/cable/internet/electricity/water that cuts out, public busses and trains that are late, penalties for chinese cigarette lighters that fall apart on the 1st use, and most of all, concerts that are cncld due to injury/death of the performer(s). We have enough legislation regulating the free enterprise system in ways that that the consumer can regulate far more effectivly with their dollar.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
I buy a reasonable amount of under $200 tickets. If my plans change, I've always just purchased another ticket.
With AA and DL, I always cancel and release the seat so they can resell. With UA, I don't cancel, just simply no show.
^ Ive never done it before but i will most certainly do it now.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
As for the 2nd part, one should then have the govt do the same for phone service/cable/internet/electricity/water that cuts out, public busses and trains that are late, penalties for chinese cigarette lighters that fall apart on the 1st use, and most of all, concerts that are cncld due to injury/death of the performer(s).
That's a pretty long list of crappy analogies.

When was the last time you paid a fee to cancel your phone/cable/internet/electricity/water service?

When was the last time a concert promoter invalidated your ticket because you sold it to someone else?

Only airlines sell you a ticket and tell you it's worth $0 if you personally don't fly on it and charge you hundreds of dollars to change or cancel it (for airline credit).
Old May 1, 2013, 11:19 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by raehl311
That's a pretty long list of crappy analogies.

When was the last time you paid a fee to cancel your phone/cable/internet/electricity/water service?

When was the last time a concert promoter invalidated your ticket because you sold it to someone else?

Only airlines sell you a ticket and tell you it's worth $0 if you personally don't fly on it and charge you hundreds of dollars to change or cancel it (for airline credit).
The analogies are fine, your interpretation of them is lacking. You don't pay a fee to cncl your flight, only a fee to reuse the credit, which you can't do with ticketmaster.

I paid T-Mobile a fee when I switched to ATT before my contract was up. I would do the same if I cncld my cable or internet before my contract was up.

Again, there is no fee to cncl, just like a concert or a sports event, you just lose the purchase, although with airlines you can recoup some of the money (amount paid minus $200) for future use, which you can't for most tickets for most events in the world.

I'm guessing you never realized that the letter "N" in the fare basis code is short for "non-refundable", but the airlines aren't as strict on that meaning as the other things I mentioned. While there is no refund, some of that money (total-$200) can be reused.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

You know what is the best analogy? Southwest Airlines. And guess what. Their policy is the best. And United is (tied for) the worst.
Old May 2, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Frontier's new whacky fees are knocking all the change fees out of the news.
Old May 2, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Frontier's new whacky fees are knocking all the change fees out of the news.
The fees are no different than what Spirit and Allegiant have been doing for a while. It's not really news.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Point me to the spin?

It's addl $ for all. But - three majors made $ in Q1 - the 4th didn't, and decided to raise more revenue in a different way. Simple as that.
The spin is simple: It's bad for UA, ok for the others because it's icing. In short, the fee will do the same thing for every carrier in that it's gravy money for all of them. This can't be spun as a negative for UA.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I do agree with a sliding change fee based on how far out until departure but we don't need the government telling the airlines they have to do that, if an airline sees a competitive advantage in doing something like that they will implement it on their own and we don't need the government telling the airlines they have to provide mandatory compensaion during disruptions, even weather. All that will do is raise airfares or fees even more than they already are in order to cover all that extra costs of providing compensation for everything.

Air travel is about the most elastic thing there is as far as demand. Air travel is never a necessity like food, clothing, housing. If the fees are too expensive or too much of a hassle people can just stay home or drive, simple enough then the airlines would have to lower the fees or airfares to get people to travel. The free market is a tug of war especially when demand for a product is extremely elastic.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fieldeng
The spin is simple: It's bad for UA, ok for the others because it's icing. In short, the fee will do the same thing for every carrier in that it's gravy money for all of them. This can't be spun as a negative for UA.
It's bad for all of "us", but of course good for the airlines (at least in the short-term sense).

You're missing the deeper point though - the one airline that led with this fee increase was the only one out of the four majors to NOT have a profitable Q1. Correlation IMO.

No different than bragging about your YOY ancillary revenue increases and trying to gloss over the whole core operational revenue failings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.