Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fee Increase to $200/300

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Originally Posted by star_world
Not cherry picking - sorry, I just looked at the monthly view, saw $84 for almost every day and picked one at random. Don't always assume the worst A more thorough search shows that there is some variation but $84 is available on some flights pretty much every day.

On more business-oriented routes the difference is much more pronounced - on LGA-MDW for example, an advance purchase fare is around $75 one-way but if I had one of those and wanted to change today it would be an increase of $261. On UA this would be a free change for some elites and $75 for a non-status pax.

My point is that the WN system leaves you at the mercy of the fares they are selling that day. And like any airline, they stop selling the cheap fares close to the departure date. UA has effectively removed the fare from the picture for all but the busiest flights. If you want to make same day changes, WN will be more expensive if you have a cheap fare - on UA that hardly ever factors into the decision.
This assumes that people would ONLY change a ticket on the same day of travel. Many people change them much further in advance. With WN you can also book months in advance and if the fare goes down cancel and rebook the new fare--using the remaining balance for a future ticket. You can cancel completely if your travel plans change--whether it is the day of departure or months in advance.

UA is taking $200 off the bat AND will charge the fare difference. Sure if a passenger gets lucky and happens to want to change to another flight on the day of departure that is empty, said passenger may pay a lower fee on UA. Those examples will be few and far between and pale in comparison to the flexibility a passenger has from the day of purchase until the flight departure on WN. Even with B6, you would only pay $50 to change a ticket that is under $99 or $100 for more expensive tickets.

A business traveler may also need to change the destination completely given a change of venue for a meeting. How would that work out for this person on UA?

Any way you try to sell it, UA gives less flexibility at a higher cost than every other US based airline--aside from US--at least temporarily until US becomes AA leaving UA as the most inflexible carrier.
Exactly
I have no problem with tying a change fee to proximity of the flight but to charge 200 for a change months out when they will also be reselling the seat is highway robbery
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dahaberm
Exactly
I have no problem with tying a change fee to proximity of the flight but to charge 200 for a change months out when they will also be reselling the seat is highway robbery
Exactly - I don't think anyone posting here disagrees with you in the slightest.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:25 pm

AA is looking better to me these days. I actually like the Choice Essential and Choice Plus options. The downside is I'm not in an AA hub. Any AA flight I take always stops in Dallas.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MercuryPlant
AA is looking better to me these days. I actually like the Choice Essential and Choice Plus options. The downside is I'm not in an AA hub. Any AA flight I take always stops in Dallas.
For what it's worht, if you make EXP... an EXP originating in a non-hub and connecting in DFW is probably going to be 100% on comp upgrades on both segments. I was like 14/15 last year originating out of DFW even with all the through passengers ahead of me....
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
One can do a free same day change 24 hours out if any seat available? That's nice. Unfortunately, WN only works if you're primarily Continental USA.
That is changing this year. They started to fly to Puerto Rico and Mexico. They are expanding their hub in Houston and going after DL in Atlanta so I expect them to continue to add international options (mostly within North and South America). Then again I suspect the next apologist will say "But WN doesn't serve Munich..."
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
The Change fee is Fair..It covers thier costs..Flying is cheaper than ever..you can fly cheaper than you can drive a car or in many cases take a bus..If you need flexability thats another story..you have to pay a price..If you want a cheap ticket..thats what they are selling as well..its all about options..You have the option to change a ticket or not..if you do,you pay a fee..You still buy tickets that are bargains! Years ago only the rich could afford to fly..now everybody uses flying as public transportation..Its so cheap!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
....You still buy tickets that are bargains! Years ago only the rich could afford to fly..now everybody uses flying as public transportation..Its so cheap!
mostly agree with that and it is clear airlines have had a bad financial history
The Change fee is Fair..It covers their costs.. ...
have no idea what their costs are -- suspect the change fee is higher than cost, depending on what you label as cost.

HOWEVER air fares and many, many other items are not cost-priced but rather value based pricing (sure you need to cover your costs overall -- part of the airlines historical issue). The discussion should not be on "costs" (and UA should not stated that is the intent), but on the value. For most leisure travels, they are probably better off with lower initial pricing and and occasional change fee. And the same for many business travelers -- most that are booking higher fares are wasting money but it does simplify their operations and that has value (hence higher pricing) to them. A few may be financially better with changeable/refundable fares but that is a small group in financial reality.
The question is at what point is the value factor lost because of the high shock / emotional value of change fees. At what point do people make irrational choices (bad financial choices) to avoid UA's fees by changing carriers or purchasing higher fare?

Pricing is not simply cost driven or value based when irrationality enters the picture.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Change fees vs SDC

I feel Change Fees are a bigger pain that SDC. Every time I have a schedule change at work, I have to fork out $200-$300 plus fare difference or just throw away the ticket. Even after the change fees, you need to settle for less than ideal times since the other flights are very expensive. SDC is not assured so is Standby at the gate. With United flying more RJs out of DEN, I can say from experience SDC does not work all the time.

Whereas with no change fees, I can shuffle to my hearts content as things shape up.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
As expected, DL has now raised its change fees to $200 for domestic tickets.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
AA has now matched as well. All 4 legacy airlines now at 200 dollars. Disappointing.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
AA has now matched as well. All 4 legacy airlines now at 200 dollars. Disappointing.
Well, UA needs the $ given that they seem incapable of generating topline revenue growth (versus ancillary, the new specialty)...it's just icing on the cake for the other more profitable carriers.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well, UA needs the $ given that they seem incapable of generating topline revenue growth (versus ancillary, the new specialty)...it's just icing on the cake for the other more profitable carriers.
I can understand why they'd jump on it. With the exception of frequent flyers who are fully aware of the change and unhappy about its impact on them, it's probably not a burning issue for most travelers, at least until they get hit with it.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
...It covers thier costs...
and then some
Old May 1, 2013, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Change Fee Increase to $200/300

My net credit for changing 3 SQ tickets (fare actually dropped $2) with zero change fee hit my credit card last Thursday. ^

On UA that would have been $750 (now $900). Bite me.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The same exact fee and amount can't be a good thing for 1 airline and a bad thing for another. That's crafty spinning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.