Wiki Posts
Search

advice about check-in time ex SJU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black
advice about check-in time ex SJU

flying out of SJU tomorrow morning (5:30am flight on United metal to EWR). My hotel is 10 min taxi ride to airport. I am checked in already with no bags to check in. Concierge at hotel says "airlines want you there 2 hrs in advance" which means be at airport at 3:30am.

Can someone who has flown out of SJU this early in the morning give me some advice about what time I actually need to show up?

thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC 75K
UA would be a good place to start.

They have some detailed information on their site, including what they consider to be peak processing times.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black
perfect thank you
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Platinum
Flew out in the afternoon about 2 weeks ago. Aside from an an extra step of an agricultural bag check for all bags (including carry on) similar to what you would go through leaving the Hawaiian Islands there was nothing different from a domestic flight. That check took no more than 5 minutes at that time of the day. Not sure about the wait for the security line in the morning but that should be the only wild card.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
No, you don't need to come that early. I have been at SJU at some 3am or 4am when I stayed at the airport BW, and the airport is empty at that hour. Also, if you can use elite lanes, you can arrive to the airport some 50 mins before the departure and still comfortably make it to the boarding of the F cabin.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've arrived 90 minutes before both times with checked bags (flying AC metal in J) without any issues.

SJU has a TSA Pre checkpoint, so if you're flying United metal to EWR and has a Nexus card, you should be able to enter your Trusted Traveller # to your PNR and be eligible to use it. But you should check the Nexus thread to be sure.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Just beware that security lines here stretch over 30 minutes frequently. As somebody who flies through SJU at least once a month, I'd recommend being at the airport by 4:30. That should leave you plenty of time, especially with pre-check or elite status.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As OP is flying UA I'll move it to that FT forum from the Air Canada forum.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.