Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done. "Linking" PNRs, no benefit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Two separate PNRs cannot be merged into one.
This includes: two similar PNRs for separate passengers or two separate PNRs for the same passenger
Combining PNRs on ua.com in "Manage your reservation" is for viewing pleasure only. It has no effect on benefits, IRROPS or anything else.
  • May I check bags through on two PNR's? Yes, bag interline is discussed in UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
  • Elite bag allowance generally will not be offered to off-PNR companions, but you can ask (YMMV)
  • You can bring 1-8 people into E+ (depending on your status) by calling or at the gate.
    They do not have to be on the same PNR. This has changed from 2012
  • For CPU prior to the gate, you must be on a common PNR (at most one that was split). See companion policy. However, it may be possible (YMMV) to request an off-PNR companion upgrade at the gate. Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
  • So-called "linking" PNR, has no practical impact on PNRs or benefits -- usually is just a comment in one or more PNRs as a note for a human agent. Computers do not use the comment field.

Related threads
Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]
Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.
Print Wikipost

Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done. "Linking" PNRs, no benefit.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UALFLYER1
Had a question. I booked a trip for the Mrs. HKG-EWR -HKG ...
This does not appear to be a two PNR query (which can not be combined in the first place)
But unclear on a couple of things
-- is this a paid or award ticket?

....and got confirmed upgrade on both the legs! Yippie! I now want to add on a flight from EWR- MUC on the same day (after a 4 hour layover) in EWR. ...
what is the full new itin? How are you getting from MUC back to EWR? and then to HKG??
.... 1) Can I add the new legs to this itinerary? Or will it price the whole trip and I will lose my upgrades? ..
it will surely reprice. O/Ds are priced, not segments. The keeping of the confirmed upgrades could happen but doubt most agents could do it.
....2) Can I use the same GPU from HKG - EWR - MUC?
-- theorically yes, but there are many other hurddles before you get there
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This does not appear to be a two PNR query (which can not be combined in the first place)
But unclear on a couple of things
-- is this a paid or award ticket? ...
It is a paid ticket.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
what is the full new itin? How are you getting from MUC back to EWR? and then to HKG??
it will surely reprice. O/Ds are priced, not segments. The keeping of the confirmed upgrades could happen but doubt most agents could do it.
-- theorically yes, but there are many other hurddles before you get there
I currently have HKG-EWR-HKG booked; want to add EWR - MUC - EWR to this

So I presume...buying a new ticket EWR-MUC-EWR and then adding that to this original HKG-EWR-HKG itn.

Does that make sense? Sorry...I am so long winded!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2019 at 9:46 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)

So I presume...buying a new ticket EWR-MUC-EWR and then adding that to this original HKG-EWR-HKG itn.

Unless I'm missing something, as the Wiki says above: "Two separate PNRs cannot be merged into one"
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Does that make sense? ...
Ok, understand but the two PNRs can not be merged into a single PNR and a GPU can not be used across two PNRs -- so No & No to the original questions.
UALFLYER1 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a paid ticket.

I feel compelled to point out that GPUs can be used on LH (although, you'd need one GPU per flight segment -- one for HKG-MUC and another for MUC-EWR). :-) It sounds like you've got a plan in mind, but HKG-EWR-MUC is way out of the way -- you fly 16 hours and you're nearly as far away from MUC as you started.

Also, with two separate tickets, you wouldn't necessarily be protected in the case of IRROPS, although UA does generally have a good reputation for helping out when you're flying all on UA metal. And paying the change fee to add EWR-MUC to your existing flight is going to be much, much more expensive than booking two separate tickets, so that's not really a solution.

Anyway, not sure if this helps, but thought I should mention it in case the ability to get upgrades was factoring into your planning.
Xyzzy and UALFLYER1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:40 am

Thanks Wine Country and Jsloan...appreciate your input.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
What's the best practice for a family traveling on multiple PNRs in case of IRROPS?

Family of 4 on 4 PNRs. I'm thinking I should print out the 4 names and PNRs so I can just hand that to an agent if it gets ugly at/going to SFO on Tuesday. Anything else?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress
What's the best practice for a family traveling on multiple PNRs in case of IRROPS?...
If in a line, try a phone agent also while waiting.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:34 pm

If two adults and two children, know ahead of time whether you'd be willing to be split into two groups (one adult + one child in each group) and if so have carry-on essentials split into two bags so you can split up quickly if needed.

If not willing to be split up, say so.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Should I combine PNR's?

Booked two separate tix (one paid by company, one by me) EWR-LAS in glorious Row 21. We are both*G. To prevent UA from separating us with their random seat whammies, should/can I combine these into 1 PNR? I don't think it hurts our upgrade chances.

Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 2, 2019 at 3:40 pm Reason: moved to consoldiated thread
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
PNRs cannot be combined. They can reference each other in notes, that's all.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Well you literally can't, so no.

Also being on the same res does nothing to avoid the SHARES seat scrambler.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by mduell
Well you literally can't, so no.

Also being on the same res does nothing to avoid the SHARES seat scrambler.
Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My friend and I are booked on separate PNRs on the same flight in the same fare class (XN) using my miles. Can they use my luggage benefit (I'm 1K) if we check-in together? I don't want to rebook the flight because the saver mileage fare isn't available anymore.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by pregabalin
My friend and I are booked on separate PNRs on the same flight in the same fare class (XN) using my miles. Can they use my luggage benefit (I'm 1K) if we check-in together? I don't want to rebook the flight because the saver mileage fare isn't available anymore.
My reservations are always being split from people I travel with (auto split). I have them check in with me and if the issue of a baggage fee arises I just add their bag to my reservation because 1K gets three bags and I usually only have one.

I ensure their reservation is handled first at check-in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.