Partially used refundable ticket expired

Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Partially used refundable ticket expired

I have a partially used, fully-refundable ticket that is now expired. Can I get some credit for the unused portion? Even as vouchers?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Expired questions seem to be common recently.

How expired is the credit? You might have a chance if a few weeks, a month?

What have you been told after calling? (Thought fully refundable did not have the standard expiration clause)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

The ticket expired quite a while ago - I thought I had refunded the return portion but looks like I forgot. It was quite an expensive C class ticket too

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

What have you been told after calling? (Thought fully refundable did not have the standard expiration clause)

Exactly what I had understood too - that fully refundable tickets do not have the standard expiration clause.

Called today - was told ticket has no value. But was asked to call tomorrow and speak with the 1k customer service or refund desk.

Who do you think I should call?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 16, 2013 at 1:45 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
You will get the best help around here if you provide information. Usually a refundable ticket is good for 12 months and isn't subject to the cancel before flying restriction. But saying "the ticket expired quite awhile ago" isn't very informative
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:30 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
What exactly does "partially used" mean in this case? Can you give us the breakdown of segments, fare basis codes and what wasused/unused? For example(s) a ticket from ORD-SFO-BKK with the ORD-SFO used, priced as a single entity is considered wholly used, as it is a single entity. Also a refundable fare combined with a non-refunable fare, many tmes, becomes wholly non-refundable.

Without details, the question cannot be answered.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Nearly all tickets expire 1 year after they are issued. The issued date is typically the day (or near the day) you PURCHASED the ticket and not the travel date. This rule generally applies to both refundable and non-refundable tickets. The issue date can change and may be reset if the ticket has to be reissued due to a change (either voulantary or involuntary).

I'd say you're pretty much SOL unless you can sweet talk someone to bend the rules.

As a note, every fare has its own rules and that is where the expiration terms are expressly defined. I don't think there is much if any variation in this particular term with UA. As fastair notes, the way the fare was constructed also matters and the fare rules will generally detail how to calculate partial refunds.

Last edited by kenn0223; Apr 16, 2013 at 7:27 am
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What did UA say? That would be the starting point.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Normally, refundable tickets expire within a year, but can be "revived" for $100 or so by the refunds department.

Not sure if there are any complications because of the fact that it was partially-used, never ran into that situation myself, but I'd suspect it shouldn't change the fact.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

It was A - B - A round-trip ticket issued in 2011. I used the outbound segment A to B, the return is unused. It was a fully-refundable C class ticket.

What is my best bet? Who do I call?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
If you have access to a good travel agent see if they can get the refund policy for refundable tickets. I used to have it but it's not current.

Although tickets are valid for travel for one year, refundable tickets in the past could be refunded long after they expired for travel. I think up to a certain year, refundable tickets were always valid for refund, without time limit. At a certain point, I think UA began imposing a refund time limit for refundable tickets. Initially this was several years but I think it's been reduced over time and there may now be a fee to process refunds on refundable tickets more than one year old.

Even if you can't get a copy of the policy, keep persisting with customer service and the refunds department.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by 1k650
It was A - B - A round-trip ticket issued in 2011. I used the outbound segment A to B, the return is unused. It was a fully-refundable C class ticket.

If a round trip fare was used it may need to be repriced as a one-way which may result in a fairly material increase (and decrease the amount of any refund). Sometimes the difference between one-way and 1/2 of a round trip is pretty significant especially in international routes (which I assume this is since you are in C).

I would start by calling the 1K desk and asking to be transferred to the refunds department. These days I don't think there is a published direct line to refunds that is actually answered by a person.

You could also try filling out the web customer service form. I've had fairly decent luck getting meaningful responces recently and it's a good way to communicate details such as ticket number and dates. You can also upload any documentation you have (such as a receipt).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Call UA.

Have the ticket in front of you.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenn0223
If a round trip fare was used it may need to be repriced as a one-way which may result in a fairly material increase (and decrease the amount of any refund). Sometimes the difference between one-way and 1/2 of a round trip is pretty significant especially in international routes (which I assume this is since you are in C).

I would start by calling the 1K desk and asking to be transferred to the refunds department. These days I don't think there is a published direct line to refunds that is actually answered by a person.

You could also try filling out the web customer service form. I've had fairly decent luck getting meaningful responces recently and it's a good way to communicate details such as ticket number and dates. You can also upload any documentation you have (such as a receipt).
Thank you.

I lucked upon a legacy CO agent today, ans she processed the refund for me. Told me I should see it in 10 business days. Keeping my fingers crossed....

I have one more like that but that is only a few days expired. Will call refunds on that.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - What did UA say? That would be the starting point.
Originally Posted by Often1
Call UA.

Have the ticket in front of you.
appears you missed the OP had called UA prior to posting

... Called today - was told ticket has no value. But was asked to call tomorrow and speak with the 1k customer service or refund desk. ....
But had success on a second call -- suspect OP was to seek info if it was worth calling a second time.
Old May 4, 2013, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

The story has a sad ending.

Refund was denied.

Called Refunds Department - denied. Was told there are no exceptions.

Called 1k Customer service twice. Denied. Was offered a small ETC as compensation.

Learnt a very expensive lesson.

I am planning to write to them, but do not have high hopes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.