Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Renovates IAH Terminal B South Concourse for $97 Million

United Renovates IAH Terminal B South Concourse for $97 Million

Old Apr 15, 13, 1:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 139
United Renovates IAH Terminal B South Concourse for $97 Million

I haven't flown thru IAH in a while but I do remember what the concourse looked like prior and this does sound pretty good.

United Airlines Unveils Renovated Terminal B South Concourse at Bush Intercontinental Airport

United Airlines said it will open its new Terminal B south concourse at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston on May 1, 2013. The airline plans to phase in its use of the new concourse over the coming two weeks, and the first 15 gates will be fully operational at the start of next month.
DCann is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 1:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,311
I'm very much looking forward to a new United Club at B, but the other 'innovations', such as 1950s-style ground-level boarding, I am decidedly less excited about.

I simply do not understand why they felt compelled to dispense with jetways in this all-new concourse and expose all UAX pax (not just those banished to B84) to the Houston elements once again...
EWR764 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 3:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MSY
Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,469
Didn't UA say that Terminal B renovations were now doubtful, due to WN's international service from HOU affecting their projected profitability?
oopsz is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 4:36 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,417
what's wrong with a bit of fresh air?

nothing like hanging out in a cold , recycled-air airplane for a few hours to make you appreciate some nice humidity
entropy is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 6:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,782
Originally Posted by oopsz View Post
Didn't UA say that Terminal B renovations were now doubtful, due to WN's international service from HOU affecting their projected profitability?
I think that was the iah-akl route (which they've pulled since).
edcho is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 9:32 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,015
Originally Posted by DCann View Post
I haven't flown thru IAH in a while but I do remember what the concourse looked like prior and this does sound pretty good.

United Airlines Unveils Renovated Terminal B South Concourse at Bush Intercontinental Airport
Please please please give IAD some love.......
ryman554 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 9:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MCO, DCA, IAD
Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,114
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
Please please please give IAD some love.......
PLEASE!!! The C/D terminal is a real dump!
sammyindc is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 9:58 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,217
So glad to be close to done with the dump UX/COEx gates at IAH. Making an Express to Mainline connections is a time-consuming and annoying process, especially for somebody that had never been to IAH. I always pass people trying to get directions from the pit to the train.
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 10:06 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston
Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Posts: 299
Does this mean B84 will go away? I boarded my flight at DSM with a jetway. Yet, when I get to IAH, I step back in time by several decades. Also, according to my pedometer, the distance from B84Q to baggage claim was 3/4 of a mile. There wasn't a people mover anywhere along the way. I would hate to be someone who has a mobility impairment for that long hike.

Originally Posted by entropy View Post
what's wrong with a bit of fresh air?
That Houston air ain't fresh. Plus we get a lot of heavy rain storms which would lead to drenching. Also, one also has to go into the terminal, then go back outside when the gate-checked bags arrive, assuring additional drenching during rain storms. Perhaps some fresh air during July/August when you can enjoy the 110 degree heat
pinks is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 10:09 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 49,116
United Renovates IAH Terminal B South Concourse for $97 Million

Ah, sounds like KUL LCCT. At least there they hand you umbrellas for the sprint to the air stairs
uastarflyer is offline  
Old Apr 16, 13, 12:52 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,161
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
what's wrong with a bit of fresh air?

nothing like hanging out in a cold , recycled-air airplane for a few hours to make you appreciate some nice humidity
As an IAH-based flyer, I'll take the cold recycled air, thanks.
gengar is online now  
Old Apr 16, 13, 6:33 am
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,855
Originally Posted by sammyindc View Post
PLEASE!!! The C/D terminal is a real dump!
Jeff and the rest of senior management doesn't care about Dulles. That's been clear from the start of the merger.
halls120 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 13, 7:51 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,821
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Jeff and the rest of senior management doesn't care about Dulles. That's been clear from the start of the merger.
So, are you saying that before the merger UA did care about IAD?

I don't see any evidence of this...

(Related Topic: I take back what I said earlier about SFO T3: This terminal is really improving, and the food selections continue to get better. (When did the Anchor Steam restaurant open? I never seem to walk down that way...) I realize it is still a ways off, but it will be even nicer when the construction for the new gates is completed.)
LarkSFO is offline  
Old Apr 16, 13, 8:13 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,311
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Jeff and the rest of senior management doesn't care about Dulles. That's been clear from the start of the merger.
So much of the MWAA capex is tied up in the Metrorail extension to IAD that I don't think the agency is anywhere near as willing as HAS to contribute hundreds of millions of dollars (+++) to what would be a multibillion terminal redevelopment primarily for the benefit of a single airline.

At the same time, United is hesitant to invest in more than de minimis improvements to the C/D complex due to that fact that it will be demolished and rebuilt... eventually.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 13, 8:23 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,855
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
So, are you saying that before the merger UA did care about IAD?

I don't see any evidence of this...
Previous management had a plan to approach the MWAA and build the new C/D terminal before 9/11 sent all airlines into a tailspin. So far all the current management has done for IAD is start building a maintenance hanger, and improve the employee break rooms. Whoopee......

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
So much of the MWAA capex is tied up in the Metrorail extension to IAD that I don't think the agency is anywhere near as willing as HAS to contribute hundreds of millions of dollars (+++) to what would be a multibillion terminal redevelopment primarily for the benefit of a single airline.

At the same time, United is hesitant to invest in more than de minimis improvements to the C/D complex due to that fact that it will be demolished and rebuilt... eventually.
They had 1.4 billion to build the Aerotrain, didn't they?

Last edited by halls120; Apr 16, 13 at 8:30 am
halls120 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: