FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Renovates IAH Terminal B South Concourse for $97 Million (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1458653-united-renovates-iah-terminal-b-south-concourse-97-million.html)

DCann Apr 15, 2013 12:27 pm

United Renovates IAH Terminal B South Concourse for $97 Million

I haven't flown thru IAH in a while but I do remember what the concourse looked like prior and this does sound pretty good.

United Airlines Unveils Renovated Terminal B South Concourse at Bush Intercontinental Airport

United Airlines said it will open its new Terminal B south concourse at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston on May 1, 2013. The airline plans to phase in its use of the new concourse over the coming two weeks, and the first 15 gates will be fully operational at the start of next month.

EWR764 Apr 15, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm very much looking forward to a new United Club at B, but the other 'innovations', such as 1950s-style ground-level boarding, I am decidedly less excited about.

I simply do not understand why they felt compelled to dispense with jetways in this all-new concourse and expose all UAX pax (not just those banished to B84) to the Houston elements once again...

oopsz Apr 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Didn't UA say that Terminal B renovations were now doubtful, due to WN's international service from HOU affecting their projected profitability?

entropy Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm

what's wrong with a bit of fresh air?

nothing like hanging out in a cold , recycled-air airplane for a few hours to make you appreciate some nice humidity :)

edcho Apr 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz (Post 20596477)
Didn't UA say that Terminal B renovations were now doubtful, due to WN's international service from HOU affecting their projected profitability?

I think that was the iah-akl route (which they've pulled since).

ryman554 Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by DCann (Post 20595879)
I haven't flown thru IAH in a while but I do remember what the concourse looked like prior and this does sound pretty good.

United Airlines Unveils Renovated Terminal B South Concourse at Bush Intercontinental Airport

Please please please give IAD some love.......

sammyindc Apr 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554 (Post 20597970)
Please please please give IAD some love.......

PLEASE!!! The C/D terminal is a real dump!

FriendlySkies Apr 15, 2013 8:58 pm

So glad to be close to done with the dump UX/COEx gates at IAH. Making an Express to Mainline connections is a time-consuming and annoying process, especially for somebody that had never been to IAH. I always pass people trying to get directions from the pit to the train.

pinks Apr 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Does this mean B84 will go away? I boarded my flight at DSM with a jetway. Yet, when I get to IAH, I step back in time by several decades. Also, according to my pedometer, the distance from B84Q to baggage claim was 3/4 of a mile. There wasn't a people mover anywhere along the way. I would hate to be someone who has a mobility impairment for that long hike.

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 20596910)

That Houston air ain't fresh. Plus we get a lot of heavy rain storms which would lead to drenching. Also, one also has to go into the terminal, then go back outside when the gate-checked bags arrive, assuring additional drenching during rain storms. Perhaps some fresh air during July/August when you can enjoy the 110 degree heat :)

uastarflyer Apr 15, 2013 9:09 pm

United Renovates IAH Terminal B South Concourse for $97 Million

Ah, sounds like KUL LCCT. At least there they hand you umbrellas for the sprint to the air stairs

gengar Apr 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 20596910)

nothing like hanging out in a cold , recycled-air airplane for a few hours to make you appreciate some nice humidity :)

As an IAH-based flyer, I'll take the cold recycled air, thanks.

halls120 Apr 16, 2013 5:33 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc (Post 20598037)
PLEASE!!! The C/D terminal is a real dump!

Jeff and the rest of senior management doesn't care about Dulles. That's been clear from the start of the merger.

LarkSFO Apr 16, 2013 6:51 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 20599354)
Jeff and the rest of senior management doesn't care about Dulles. That's been clear from the start of the merger.

So, are you saying that before the merger UA did care about IAD?

I don't see any evidence of this...

(Related Topic: I take back what I said earlier about SFO T3: This terminal is really improving, and the food selections continue to get better. (When did the Anchor Steam restaurant open? I never seem to walk down that way...) I realize it is still a ways off, but it will be even nicer when the construction for the new gates is completed.)

EWR764 Apr 16, 2013 7:13 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 20599354)

So much of the MWAA capex is tied up in the Metrorail extension to IAD that I don't think the agency is anywhere near as willing as HAS to contribute hundreds of millions of dollars (+++) to what would be a multibillion terminal redevelopment primarily for the benefit of a single airline.

At the same time, United is hesitant to invest in more than de minimis improvements to the C/D complex due to that fact that it will be demolished and rebuilt... eventually.

halls120 Apr 16, 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20599632)
So, are you saying that before the merger UA did care about IAD?

I don't see any evidence of this...

Previous management had a plan to approach the MWAA and build the new C/D terminal before 9/11 sent all airlines into a tailspin. So far all the current management has done for IAD is start building a maintenance hanger, and improve the employee break rooms. Whoopee...... :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 20599706)
So much of the MWAA capex is tied up in the Metrorail extension to IAD that I don't think the agency is anywhere near as willing as HAS to contribute hundreds of millions of dollars (+++) to what would be a multibillion terminal redevelopment primarily for the benefit of a single airline.

At the same time, United is hesitant to invest in more than de minimis improvements to the C/D complex due to that fact that it will be demolished and rebuilt... eventually.

They had 1.4 billion to build the Aerotrain, didn't they?