Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 1K help desk agent hung up my call

United 1K help desk agent hung up my call

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
That's why I always get a name, and call center at the beginning of a call. Rarely need to use it, but I can't see it hurting.
They can give you a fake name, I recently called my health insurance company and spoke to a supervisor who gave me her name, I swear to god: "Romney Ryan."
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Unacceptable behavior. I've had good experiences on the 1K line so far. Helpful and generally pleasant.

The best recourse is to shake it off and call back.

UA can of course do better. But it's not a priority IMO so far from what I've read. As I wrote above, my experiences have been pretty good so far.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
There really is no such thing as a 1K desk. That was abolished after the merger. If you are lucky you get a general purpose Premier line.
True, but agents have still been instructed to answer 1K calls as "1K desk" even though there is no longer a dedicated desk.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
True, but agents have still been instructed to answer 1K calls as "1K desk" even though there is no longer a dedicated desk.
Just because they say "1K Desk" when they pick up the phone for a 1K, that doesn't mean it's a "1K Desk." It was, indeed, abolished as part of the takeover. Now, when a 1K calls to ask for help, he or she no longer gets the same set of specially trained agents that used to be dedicated to serving that class of customer.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Just because they say "1K Desk" when they pick up the phone for a 1K, that doesn't mean it's a "1K Desk." It was, indeed, abolished as part of the takeover. Now, when a 1K calls to ask for help, he or she no longer gets the same set of specially trained agents that used to be dedicated to serving that class of customer.
That's what I said--it was abolished--yet agents are still supposed to recognize 1Ks by answering "1K desk". It seems the ex-Cons have trouble doing this.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That's what I said--it was abolished--yet agents are still supposed to recognize 1Ks by answering "1K desk". It seems the ex-Cons have trouble doing this.
Perhaps that's because they are not really ex-Cons but, in fact, still Cons.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
My last couple experiences calling the line weren't too bad tho
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: UAL 1k
My last experience with the 1k line was tough.

My son was flying on one of my award tickets from DEN to Munich. The Denver outbound left 1.5 hours late because the cleaning crew and rampers weren't available to turn the plane.

I ended up with a very rude United representative who spoke in a very thick Indian accent and she told me that United ALWAYS holds the international flights, and that they ALWAYS have a cart to transport International passengers from one gate to another. I fly every single week, my experience has not aligned with her representation. She wouldn't allow me to speak and kept interrupting me, and then transferred me to non-premier desk.

I used to have great luck with the 1k desk, but it's been pretty variable lately. Did they outsource that function?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All that you get now is a more senior and empowered agent. You can get to that by calling any UA # and entering your MP#. Thus if you call the standard line and enter your MP# and are 1K, you jump the queue and theoretically speak with someone "better". If you are nobody and call Premier, you go to the nobody queue.

Sorry for the thick Indian accent. It's what happens when people grow up and or live in India. But, it doesn't reflect on competence or value.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UAL 1k
Originally Posted by Often1
All that you get now is a more senior and empowered agent. You can get to that by calling any UA # and entering your MP#. Thus if you call the standard line and enter your MP# and are 1K, you jump the queue and theoretically speak with someone "better". If you are nobody and call Premier, you go to the nobody queue.

Sorry for the thick Indian accent. It's what happens when people grow up and or live in India. But, it doesn't reflect on competence or value.
My comment about the accent was more a question - did they outsource the phone support?

I could care less about a persons accent, but rather about if they are able and willing to help me when I'm stuck. This person clearly didn't understand how UAL operates, was unwilling to help, and was quite rude. Those are the attributes by which I judge her performance. Did UAL outsource their phone support for 1ks? The experience has become wildly variable. And yes, I did input my MM# on the call.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Generally speaking you still get an educated and enabled agent when they answer the phone with one of the following:

"Premier Desk"
"1K Premier Desk"
"Global Services"
or address you by name when they answer the call

If the agent doesn't use one of the salutations above, you hit the general agent pool and your best bet is to HUCA - if you ask a general agent if they are the 1K desk or to transfer you to the 1K or Premier desk, you'll usually get a "I AM THE .... desk" with a terse tone (ie how dare you question me) - in which case, HUCA.

I am probably wrong, but I thought UA closed the India call center so any "accented" agents are likely domestic - but again, if you don't like how the call is going, HUCA.

For years, even going back to the CO days, I could tell instantly how the call was going to go by how the agent answered the phone based on their demeanor, tone and accent and by instantly applying HUCA, I was able to find an agent (after a few tries) who took care of my question and left me with a great impression.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Originally Posted by jbresee
My comment about the accent was more a question - did they outsource the phone support?
I wondered the same. Had to call last week and also spoke with a man with an Indian accent. The service was fine, as it always is for me, but It was unusual for me to hear on UA.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
It does if all the speaker does is respond to your questions with answers from a script and can't really answer your questions or solve your problems. By definition that employee has little value, and all the competence in the world won't overcome an inability to provide assistance that comes from policies imposed by a management team that doesn't understand customer service.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
For years, even going back to the CO days, I could tell instantly how the call was going to go by how the agent answered the phone based on their demeanor, tone and accent and by instantly applying HUCA, I was able to find an agent (after a few tries) who took care of my question and left me with a great impression.
I never had to HUCA before 2012.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:01 am

I had an agent last week on the "1K desk" when I called in regarding needing to do a SDC with a routing I wanted. I agree with others that the accent isn't what determines their ability to help, but to toss it in, he had a heavy accent and he was confident that I was wrong in that UA doesn't fly into EWR, only JFK and LGA....yea. HUCA was used instantly.

It's things like that though that make me wonder who in the right mind is picking these agents to work for UA, and more importantly, how poor their training may be to not know certain routes - I'm not saying they should know all routes, but some key locations, and heck, their hubs, would be great.

On a positive note though, he did answer the phone 1K desk
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
I wondered the same. Had to call last week and also spoke with a man with an Indian accent. The service was fine, as it always is for me, but It was unusual for me to hear on UA.
UA has a significant employees of Indian decent in Houston call center.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.