Booked a standard, watching for saver

Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:49 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Booked a standard, watching for saver

So I'm going with Mr. Ericka on a work trip and we want to fly together. He bought his ticket. I booked mine as a standard biz award, figuring I would change it to a saver when that became available. (The biz cabin continues to be pretty open).

We are within a week of travel now so I am checking the flights very regularly. The int'l leg could open up soon.....but I noticed the 1 hr. domestic leg is selling out.

If the int'l leg opens up saver award space, but the domestic leg does not.....does that mean I will not be able to change this to a saver award (and remain on the same flights as Mr. Ericka?)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Correct.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Not the answer I was hoping for BUT....appreciated all the same.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
I do this all the time (book standard award and wait for saver to open up), but only for nonstop (i.e., single segment itineraries) because the chance of multiple legs opening up saver availability at the same time is so low.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks.
I might have a chance at this if a Y seat opens on the domestic leg. It would be worth one hour in an E- middle to get some miles back.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
You can also purchase standard domestic Y tickets and usually switch to saver first for the same amount of miles when I space opens up within 24 hours of the flight.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by sakaike
I do this all the time (book standard award and wait for saver to open up), but only for nonstop (i.e., single segment itineraries) because the chance of multiple legs opening up saver availability at the same time is so low.
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
You can also purchase standard domestic Y tickets and usually switch to saver first for the same amount of miles when I space opens up within 24 hours of the flight.
This is a manual process right? Watch for (or set EF alert for) the bucket you want then cancel the orginal ticket and rebook a new ticket? I get the sense you can't waitlist this way (book standard, waitlist for saver), right?

But, you can book a saver Y and waitlist for saver I or O, or book a saver I and waitlist a saver O? Or book a saver O and waitlist a saver I? In other words you can waitlist between saver classes (I think based on what I've seen here, correct me if I'm mistaken).
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:22 am
Original Poster

This worked out after all.

One day before departure, I saw the business saver award space open up on the int'l leg. The domestic leg opened up a coach seat. So I called it in, had the agent make the changes, and had 75,000 miles put back in my account. I lost my domestic first class seat, but it is only one hour and I am still in E+. Well worth it, I think. ^
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Wow! And now, the original first class seat that I had on the domestic leg got put back in the bucket and became available as a saver business award. So I called it in, and voila....I have everything as orginally booked. I have to say I am surprised. It was the last available seat up front.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Ericka
Wow! And now, the original first class seat that I had on the domestic leg got put back in the bucket and became available as a saver business award. So I called it in, and voila....I have everything as orginally booked. I have to say I am surprised. It was the last available seat up front.
I like a happy endings. Enjoy your flights!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ericka
You could have avoid this extra step. When you rebooked in saver, you should have asked them to put you on the waitlist for the domestic leg in F. It wouldn't have cost any more miles as you were already paying the F price (based on the international leg being in C), and the moment a seat became available in the right class then it would have been yours without you having to watch for it/call.

(In truth, you likely would have still had to call - but at least they would have notified you rather than being the other way around)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
You could have avoid this extra step. When you rebooked in saver, you should have asked them to put you on the waitlist for the domestic leg in F. It wouldn't have cost any more miles as you were already paying the F price (based on the international leg being in C), and the moment a seat became available in the right class then it would have been yours without you having to watch for it/call.

(In truth, you likely would have still had to call - but at least they would have notified you rather than being the other way around)
Thanks, Docbert. I have successfully waitlisted before, but I admit I didn't even think of it because F was full. Of course, I forgot about the seat that I was putting back into the system! LOL.

Anyway, I just want flyertalkers to know that this is all very possible. Risky perhaps, but possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.