Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand Premium economy vs Uniteds no availability to upgrade and the ransom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand Premium economy vs Uniteds no availability to upgrade and the ransom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bear Backers
Thumbs up Air New Zealand Premium economy vs Uniteds no availability to upgrade and the ransom

So It is virtually impossible to book a Saver award anywhere and I understand getting an upgrade to C to Europe or Australia is not guaranteed or available until days before the flight leaves.

Someone posted something which I can not find echoing frustration with United in trying to use miles and money to upgrade. being forced to buy a Y fare with no gurantee that the miles or money will be accepted. Perpetual searching for alternate airports and days .Is it all worth it? I pay a fee for a United card and have around 100k miles but am consdiering dumping it and just going Air New Zealand in the future. Paying 1k more for a guaranteed comfortable seat is worth it. What do you think?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oskidunker
So It is virtually impossible to book a Saver award anywhere and I understand getting an upgrade to C to Europe or Australia is not guaranteed or available until days before the flight leaves.

Someone posted something which I can not find echoing frustration with United in trying to use miles and money to upgrade. being forced to buy a Y fare with no gurantee that the miles or money will be accepted. Perpetual searching for alternate airports and days. Is it all worth it? I pay a fee for a United card and have around 100k miles but am consdiering dumping it and just going Air New Zealand in the future. Paying 1k more for a guaranteed comfortable seat is worth it. What do you think?
Ugh. Ransom is the word you use?

Whatever "someone" posted is probably misinformed information based on *A awards (only Y or B fares). Considering UA doesn't even fly to New Zealand, that is most likely the issue.

There is plenty of Saver availability to New Zealand - you just have to know when to book, alternate airports, etc. If I look this month, I can fly tomorrow EWR-SFO-AKL for 40K miles and $19.70.

"Virtually impossible to book a Saver award" is perhaps the most hyperbolic thing I've ever heard about UA's program. It may have its flaws, but it is known for having amazing availability. Not sure what you paying for a UA card has to do with anything.

ps. Go Cal (if you went there)!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Amazing Avability?

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 1, 2018 at 4:47 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Funny, I have been planning a SFO-SYD trip for a while, and regularly check the schedule and awards, particularly looking out 300+ days. Have seen a Saver award in F 90+ % of the time. If you are looking short term- Europe this summer- it is probably too late for Saver Awards this summer.

Mrs BlueZebra is flying Business Saver Award SFO-FRA in July. No problem getting it last fall.

Just booked 3 different domestic flights, 5-10 months ahead. SFO-PHL, SFO-HNL and SFO-FLL. Saver F on all three. No problem. Last I looked, still some Saver F available on those flights.

I think the problem might be wanting to book Saver Awards in C or F 3-4 months prior to departure, or less. On the other hand, saw Saver F available on our SFO-PVR flight last month up to 30 days prior to departure. They were really having problems selling those seats.

Ransom? Don't think so. Hyperbole alert!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Funny, I have been planning a SFO-SYD trip for a while, and regularly check the schedule and awards, particularly looking out 300+ days. Have seen a Saver award in F 90+ % of the time.
I'd say there used to be plenty of Saver F - but have you seen them since they changed the ON bucket from award to upgrade? That seems to have make the award space evaporate (lot of O0 now).
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
FWIW...we have been using NZ premium economy from LAX-LHR for nearly a year now...it usually can be purchased for a fare that is close to an up-gradable Y fare on UA (with no guarantees of upgrade...our 1K staff is only about 40% on these flights...personally I have been successful only 2 times out of 5 flights!) The NZ hard product is not great for sleeping (maybe equivalent to domestic F) but the soft product blows UA C and F out of the water!...and if you are fortunate enough to be able to book NZ C...well, it is perhaps the best premium cabin on the route, hard and soft! The inflight service, food, wine and CS on the ground...it is all outstanding.

We made the decision, instead of playing the upgrade lottery, to book premium economy when we can...and have not been disappointed!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'd say there used to be plenty of Saver F - but have you seen them since they changed the ON bucket from award to upgrade? That seems to have make the award space evaporate (lot of O0 now).
Of course, looking at next February, I can't find any. Wouldn't you know it. It is peak Australia summer.

OP's comments about ransom and can't go anywhere on Saver F was a lot of hyperbole, tho. So it may be difficult to book Saver F to Australia, but to "anywhere"? I am calling BS on that one. I cited half a dozen examples in my earlier post.

Last edited by BlueZebra; Apr 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by 1KPath
FWIW...we have been using NZ premium economy from LAX-LHR for nearly a year now...it usually can be purchased for a fare that is close to an up-gradable Y fare on UA (with no guarantees of upgrade...our 1K staff is only about 40% on these flights...personally I have been successful only 2 times out of 5 flights!) The NZ hard product is not great for sleeping (maybe equivalent to domestic F) but the soft product blows UA C and F out of the water!...and if you are fortunate enough to be able to book NZ C...well, it is perhaps the best premium cabin on the route, hard and soft! The inflight service, food, wine and CS on the ground...it is all outstanding.

We made the decision, instead of playing the upgrade lottery, to book premium economy when we can...and have not been disappointed!
Thanks for the tip! I have been debating whether to bite the bullet and make the switch...the NZ fare for C is cheaper than UA when I checked earlier this week.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Paying 1k more for a guaranteed comfortable seat is worth it. What do you think?
Have you flown NZ premium economy? I recently did from SFO for a trip to Sydney and wish I had just done E+ on the nonstop on United. It's basically an E+ seat with a little more pitch.

I am sympathetic to your trying to get upgrades to Australia, it's impossible if you have any sort of scheduling restrictions.

An ambien kills more than half the flight down there, so your suffering will be limited to that of a transcon if you do end up in economy.

bt
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sknyski
Have you flown NZ premium economy? I recently did from SFO for a trip to Sydney and wish I had just done E+ on the nonstop on United. It's basically an E+ seat with a little more pitch.

bt
I have...a lot...and this is not the case with NZ's 777-300 flights from LAX to AKL and LHR...this is the new Premium Economy with six across angled seating and a seat width of 20" and 42" pitch...a heck of a lot better than UA's E+...add the excellent soft product and NZ is a winner!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I have...a lot...and this is not the case with NZ's 777-300 flights from LAX to AKL and LHR...this is the new Premium Economy with six across angled seating and a seat width of 20" and 42" pitch...a heck of a lot better than UA's E+...add the excellent soft product and NZ is a winner!
Good point. I flew the 747 from SFO - bluh. Will connect in LAX next time, thanks for the tip.

bt
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I actually didn't like those seats much when I flew it last year. I found it impossible to sleep since the seats don't actually recline. For my upcoming trip I was pondering flying from SFO on the 747, thinking it might actually be a more comfortable seat. Or I was also thinking of flying to HNL and then continuing to AKL from there, as a way to break up the trip. I dunno. Either way it's a hassle - I wish I could just fly UA and have a reasonable chance of upgrading. But I'm really hesitant to book SFO-SYD on the 747 when there's a high probability I'll be stuck in the back.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The NZ 777-200s and 747s (both of which fly the SFO-AKL) have the old Prem Econ seats -- essentially a Y seat but with lots more recline and legroom. If my chances of UPG on UA weren't great, I'd do NZ PY ... that's an easy decision. Good IFE, great food/wines, and an Ambien takes care of the rest. (hey, I made a pun!)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Funny, I have been planning a SFO-SYD trip for a while, and regularly check the schedule and awards, particularly looking out 300+ days. Have seen a Saver award in F 90+ % of the time. ...

Ransom? Don't think so. Hyperbole alert!
Saver F 90% of the time sfo-syd? Since Feb 1 of this year when ON went away? Really? I can't tell in a forum when a person is joking or not. If you are serious, you know something we don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.