Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are Q400 flights an information black hole?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

No maps, no UG lists, no standby, no amenities.

Clearly not a UX thing - it's a Q400 thing.

Curious if anyone knows why.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have wondered the same. Very frustrating when trying to manage one's flights. Is it just a Republic thing? At DEN, one of the CSRs told me that United is "working on" a closer integration of Republic's data with United's.

Which would be nice, although if they have to choose, it would be better to focus on Republic's inability to run anything close to an on-time schedule with any consistency.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have wondered the same. Very frustrating when trying to manage one's flights. Is it just a Republic thing? At DEN, one of the CSRs told me that United is "working on" a closer integration of Republic's data with United's.

Which would be nice, although if they have to choose, it would be better to focus on Republic's inability to run anything close to an on-time schedule with any consistency.
Until reliability improves, I'm staying away from the Q400's if at all possible. This has meant flying at less convenient times, but at least I can plan my schedule and feel confident in it.

I too have been frustrated with the inability to use the mobile app for anything beyond schedule, but i noticed that the full website will show seat maps, upgrade, etc. Why does it work with the full site, but not the mobile app?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
It's been a few weeks since I've flown one, so I may not be remembering this right, but . . .

I think I could see nothing (just as described) when I was using the app on my iPhone. When I used the regular site and looked at flight status, I could see the upgrade list. I know I've seen an upgrade list when flying a Q400.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Flying on one of these bad boys this weekend. They have First?

I was randomly checking fare availability and saw F7. Quite the surprise!

Do they even clear upgrades ahead of time if there is no info as described above? Or is it something that gets dealt with at the gate?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Flying on one of these bad boys this weekend. They have First? ....
yes since last year -- here is the original announcement,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-q400s-ua.html
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Do they even clear upgrades ahead of time if there is no info as described above? Or is it something that gets dealt with at the gate?
Even if the flight status isn't changed, all the res info is managed with SHARES so it acts like a normal SHARES-hosted flight (inasmuch as SHARES 'works'). Upgrades will be cleared in the normal way: ToD, instruments, EUA.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM

I've had two flights on these this year (once in Feb, once in March, I think). Both planes had first class. For the first plane, the online information was a mixed mess. Some of it indicated that there was no first, but I was able to find an upgrade list after check-in. No one was cleared into first until at the gate. For the second plane, the information consistently showed there was first, and CPUs acted about as you would expect they would.

It may be that the systems were fixed between the two flights, but I would guess that its just another example of random IT screw-ups with this airline.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by entropy
Even if the flight status isn't changed, all the res info is managed with SHARES so it acts like a normal SHARES-hosted flight (inasmuch as SHARES 'works'). Upgrades will be cleared in the normal way: ToD, instruments, EUA.
YMMV - was on one YYZ-EWR a week ago. Maybe it's an outstation, but it was T-30, about to board, and it was only booked 4/7 with 7 names on the WL. Had to mention to the GA that it was maybe a good time to clear those seats
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum

I have no problem see any of the information (Seat maps/upgrades/etc.) In fact i'm 5 for 5 on Q400 this year. All cleared at T-96 window.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:13 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
This isn't precisely a Q400 thing; it's a Republic Q400 thing. All the Republic Q400s were supposed to be updated to the 2-class configuration by now, but as of a couple of weeks ago they aren't.

And, for whatever reason, Republic either doesn't know or doesn't tell UA which kind of aircraft will operate a given sector (this may just have to do with frequent equipment swaps to optimize scheduling around MX/WX/ATC delays).

As a result, the seatmap and upgrade list are highly unreliable (I've had a statistically significant sample of Republic Q400s on ABQ-DEN to support that statement). I've had 1-class seatmaps suddenly change to 2-class, causing many seat assignments to go haywire, and I've had 2-class seatmaps change to 1-class, resulting in a downgrade.

Lately, UA seems to have just disabled the information. Much as I dislike it, this is probably better than the way it was before. Since the equipment is unpredictable, better not to make false predictions. (Although there were compensations, like the flight where they posted a 2-class seatmap, and I got CS to push my RPU, and then it switched to a 1-class and I got automatic downgrade compensation, and then back to a 2-class and I got CPUed at the gate).
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
YMMV - was on one YYZ-EWR a week ago. Maybe it's an outstation, but it was T-30, about to board, and it was only booked 4/7 with 7 names on the WL. Had to mention to the GA that it was maybe a good time to clear those seats
Well, first, I'm based in YYZ... and the CO folks (the pmCO and pmUA flights are still segregated @ YYZ) aren't used to non-single cabin aircraft at YYZ... SHARES printed my Business class BP as Group 5 on the SHARES printers, while the web put me in Group 1...
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
i have flown the Q400 in/out of EWR in the past few months. i have cleared 100% of the flights (5/5) at the 1K window opening in 2013.

and yes, you can see the upgrade list, seat map, flight details etc on ual.com but not on the mobile app. it is only the Q400 - something weird about it.

of course the mobile app does not correctly display the ERJ-145 aircraft numbers - i think it only uses three numbers instead of 4 - so mutiple planes appear as aircrat #139, #149, etc. but UAX as a whole is a big old mess...

Well, first, I'm based in YYZ... and the CO folks (the pmCO and pmUA flights are still segregated @ YYZ) aren't used to non-single cabin aircraft at YYZ... SHARES printed my Business class BP as Group 5 on the SHARES printers, while the web put me in Group 1...
as an aside, there is such a segregation still that the maple leaf lounge only shows flights to legacy UA hubs and none of the flights to legacy CO hubs. a year after the integration and they still cant get that fixed. (of course when i brought it to the attention of YYZ ground crew they told me i was wrong). next time you are in the Maple Leaf lounge at YYZ, you will notice it is the old tulip symbol for legacy UA flights.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
I don't think it's an outstation YYZ thing. The exact thing happened to me on a EWR-YYZ flight two weeks ago, when I picked up the BP from the GA, it showed Group 5 as well.

Probably a Republic or Republic east coast thing.

Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
This is pretty much exactly my experience on multiple Republic Q400s.

Originally Posted by QBK
This isn't precisely a Q400 thing; it's a Republic Q400 thing. All the Republic Q400s were supposed to be updated to the 2-class configuration by now, but as of a couple of weeks ago they aren't.

And, for whatever reason, Republic either doesn't know or doesn't tell UA which kind of aircraft will operate a given sector (this may just have to do with frequent equipment swaps to optimize scheduling around MX/WX/ATC delays).

As a result, the seatmap and upgrade list are highly unreliable (I've had a statistically significant sample of Republic Q400s on ABQ-DEN to support that statement). I've had 1-class seatmaps suddenly change to 2-class, causing many seat assignments to go haywire, and I've had 2-class seatmaps change to 1-class, resulting in a downgrade.

Lately, UA seems to have just disabled the information. Much as I dislike it, this is probably better than the way it was before. Since the equipment is unpredictable, better not to make false predictions. (Although there were compensations, like the flight where they posted a 2-class seatmap, and I got CS to push my RPU, and then it switched to a 1-class and I got automatic downgrade compensation, and then back to a 2-class and I got CPUed at the gate).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.