Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Luggage Allowance for Mixed Carrier/Class International Itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Since this is not straight forward I was hoping to hear from those of you who have done this before....

We are doing long distance FRA - IAD on LH in eco (W) no problem there
IAD - ANC also eco but on UA all on one and the same PNR

Now come the part I am not sure of - the return is also UA from ANC to IAD but I have been able to upgrade the last big international segment of our flight to business on LH. Now I take it our luggage allownace will only change in Houston when we board the international leg right? Or will UA also allow the higher volume due to the LH segment being the longer of the two and does this major carrier rule come into play?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 11, 2013 at 3:11 am Reason: vague, non-descriptive thread title
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA PG, Hyatt Plat, SPG, AAadvantage
UA.com and the mobile app have a section on baggage allowance that is live and valid for your PNR.

For example, say you have the PresPlus Card and are flying LAX-SFO - the app will tell you you can check up to 2 bags @ 50 lbs each. If you clear a CPU, the baggage allowance will update to show you are now allowed 2 bags @ 70 lbs.

Some of the others can probably weigh in on the exact rules, but the web or app will tell you what UA says is kosher which is what matters since you're checking bags with them.

Last edited by mallodi; Apr 10, 2013 at 11:06 am Reason: edited to correct accuracy of statement
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Mallodi's response is accurate (though technically, I thought F and BF only gave two bags x 70 now).

Also note that if you are upgraded on LH now, your allowance is the same leaving FRA, due to IATA and DOT regulations.

So assume that you are allowed whatever LH allows on Business to apply throughout the itinerary.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Mallodi's response is accurate (though technically, I thought F and BF only gave two bags x 70 now).
Thanks aacharya. I double checked and you're right. It's only 2 bags unless you're *G.

I didn't realize that regulations required the baggage allowance of one flight to dictate the allowance for the PNR. I thought it always depended on what cabin/status you had with the carrier you checked your bags with. Thus, I would have expected the OP's allowance to have been economy on the outbound and (possibly) business on the return.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mallodi
Thanks aacharya. I double checked and you're right. It's only 2 bags unless you're *G.

I didn't realize that regulations required the baggage allowance of one flight to dictate the allowance for the PNR. I thought it always depended on what cabin/status you had with the carrier you checked your bags with. Thus, I would have expected the OP's allowance to have been economy on the outbound and (possibly) business on the return.
You bring up a good point, but the IATA regulations are pretty clear in that the Most Significant Carrier allowance applies throughout the itinerary (not a particular flight segment). US DOT regulations then define MSC as marketing carrier if touching the US.

Might be interesting to see what the United.com baggage calculator says for the outbound.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:16 am

You bring up a good point, but the IATA regulations are pretty clear in that the Most Significant Carrier allowance applies throughout the itinerary (not a particular flight segment). US DOT regulations then define MSC as marketing carrier if touching the US.

Might be interesting to see what the United.com baggage calculator says for the outbound.
So if the OP has a UA PNR, I imagine the flights are booked as a codeshare on LH metal, then would UA be the marketing carrier and thus the MSC? I could totally imagine UA saying that the OP doesn't have the business baggage allowance.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mallodi
So if the OP has a UA PNR, I imagine the flights are booked as a codeshare on LH metal, then would UA be the marketing carrier and thus the MSC? I could totally imagine UA saying that the OP doesn't have the business baggage allowance.
That's why I am as curious as you about what UA.com says.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:20 am

That's why I am as curious as you about what UA.com says.
ok me too! OP if you're out there, please check the baggage calculator and tell us what it says!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Hawaiian still charges for baggage originating Maui, Kauai, etc heading to UA connection in HNL to Mailand on UA-bought/marketed ticket. UA's baggage charge calculation page now shows these HA charges. Previously, and to the dismay of thousands of travellers, UA would show zero baggage charges for elites on HA only to get to the counter and have to fork over the money. The charges for bags and weight also conform to HA's rules, not UA's. This is special case, since HA is not *Alliance. *Alliance rules would definitely help here for elites.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K2MM, HH Diamond (LT), Mar Plat, Avis First
Gracefull - for the HA connection

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Hawaiian still charges for baggage originating Maui, Kauai, etc heading to UA connection in HNL to Mailand on UA-bought/marketed ticket. UA's baggage charge calculation page now shows these HA charges. Previously, and to the dismay of thousands of travellers, UA would show zero baggage charges for elites on HA only to get to the counter and have to fork over the money. The charges for bags and weight also conform to HA's rules, not UA's. This is special case, since HA is not *Alliance. *Alliance rules would definitely help here for elites.
Sorry to continue the hijack thread, but as stated above, since I booked the reward travel through UA, I was "shock" at being charged for baggage from HNL to the Kona and back. I'm just thankful that UA does has some type of agreement with HA that allows us to fly on HA with rewards miles . If I knew in advance, I would have packed differently, and used two carry-ons vs having to paid baggage fees for two bags.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Only a matter of time before Hawaii gets thumped by DOT. We just need the right traveler with the right focus/scope to complain. (Not the ones who booked separate PNRs) as it is even clear on their website.

Baggage rules will apply based on a single carrier's rules for the entire journey subject to DOT regulations that govern which airline's rules will apply on a single ticket.

http://help.hawaiianairlines.com/app.../kw/dot%20test

Last edited by aacharya; Apr 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Ok I have checked the UA page and it says I have 1 bag free and will have to pay the 75 Euros for the second bag even if I am now flying business of the exit.

Now this may still not be the correct info since LH is the most significant carrier.

The ticket is a LH one but since LH doesn't fly to ANC they do that with UA (code share) I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens at the airport.

I promise to come back and tell you what really happend.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:34 am
Original Poster

@mods Thank you for rephrasing the title - that is much better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.