Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's going on with NRT-SIN route (Upgrades Difficult to Clear)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum

I've done this route as 1k several times in the past three years, with 100% upgrade success. On Monday I arrived at NRT still not cleared, and as a 1k on high fare I was number 5 on a wait list that had close to 20 Paxton's only 2 seats available. Needless to say, I didn't clear.

I'm returning Friday and again my chances look very slim. It's not a big deal, obviously upgrades are always hit or miss, but I am wondering if this is a fluke or the new normal for the route.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 10, 2013 at 7:05 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:07 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
From a frequent traveller on this route, I somehow am led to believe that UA has got very good loads on this route. I travel SIN-NRT almost every 3 weeks, and it seems UA fares are always at least 1200SGD. For comparison, JL & NH both have fares around 1000 when booked about 4 days prior to departure. As such, I always choose to fly with JL/NH

Delta on the other hand consistently manages to offer tickets at 800-900SGD.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:40 am

I've attempted a few times to upgrade this route in the past few months. I never cleared. Like the previous poster said, it looks like they get good prem pax loads so upgrade is going to be harder than usual.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Yikes. Time for a new route. Is HKG any better?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Jade_BR
HKG-SIN is CPU eligible (so no GPU/RPU/miles are required). However, they have switched to a 772 from a 744 so i'm not sure of the upgrade success rate. On the 744, I was batting 100% (without any instruments).
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

NRT-SIN is now CO metal. Fewer F+C seats? (CO has no F for paid C to GPU into)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
I agree this flight is hard to clear a GPU. I am 1/4 so far this year on it. Only successful attempt was Fri 4/5.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This route used to be a guaranteed upgrade as a 1K on the pmUA 777 with old C. Not so much these days, as you're seeing. Apart from the aircraft change, you have to wonder if the narrowbody HKG-SIN experiment led to ex-USA traffic routing via NRT instead. I'm sure someone can quantify all of this more precisely (and thereby prove me right or wrong)
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Latest and greatest (not really) on this - at about T - 25, saw upgrade available online (exact same deal that happened with IAD-NRT on this reservation). Like before, I called 1k line in hopes that the agent would push it through. Sadly but the time I got through the upgrade seat was gone, and only availability was to buy for $500. Since I already paid $550 co-pay, that isn't going to happen. So on to the wait list I go.

As 1k, with 2 open seats in BF I am now showing #6 on the list at T minus 11. In other words, not a chance in hell.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Dropped to #9 on the list, two hours from departure. Yikes. Are there any FTers around? Pity party at gate B6
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:07 pm

Dropped to #9 on the list, two hours from departure. Yikes. Are there any FTers around? Pity party at gate B6
UNITED is back at SIN T3 B5/6? Awesome!!!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Maybe happened when they changed planes to the 772s? They used to be B11 or something right?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
Maybe happened when they changed planes to the 772s? They used to be B11 or something right?
They had even for a while post merger gone deep into A!

For arrivals into SIN, nothing beats T3 B5/6. How UAUA snagged that prime location is a wonder.

And for departures, it allows a walk from departure control through the shopping, a stop to see butterflies, and coloring some paper on the way to the gate. Wonderful.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
If you do not mind to be stuck in Y for 13.5 hours in 744 (see the thread about that), then...

Regarding the subj, key for the upgrade - B fare. Yes, I know. But looking right now on my SIN-NRT-SIN flight on May 2/May 9 I see that there are 10 seats available on SIN-NRT and 22 seats on NRT-SIN return.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
They had even for a while post merger gone deep into A!

For arrivals into SIN, nothing beats T3 B5/6. How UAUA snagged that prime location is a wonder.

And for departures, it allows a walk from departure control through the shopping, a stop to see butterflies, and coloring some paper on the way to the gate. Wonderful.
It was T3 B9/10 a few days ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.