Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade non Y class economy fares on Lufthansa using United instruments?

Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold

Or suggestions of what to ask for from friends on Lufthansa to see if they are able to upgrade my flight(s) using their instruments (I do not have SWU's since i'm a lowly Premier Executive).

I know there are other threads about this somewhere, but all I can find is pre-merger.

Help me out. Economy scares me.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
You can only use United miles to upgrade LH flights on Y, B, C, D, or J fares (using Star Alliance upgrades). The only way to upgrade lower fare classes is via GPUs (formerly SWUs).
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I believe the pre-merger process is still in place. Lufthansa didn't switch over to SHARES. However, there has been talk and speculation about the roll-out of an electronic GPU process, although the terms and process are unknown until it becomes available.

The two main methods are (a) get a GPU printed for use on V fares or higher (not S, T, L, K, or W), and (b) use miles for a Star Alliance upgrade. Method (a) requires a GPU from a 1K or Global Services account, and the GPU must have an expiration date that is after your planned date of travel. Method (b) requires an eligible fare, which are the most expensive ones -- Y and B. For more information, please see the United Star Alliance Upgrades page -- http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...rade/saua.aspx

Another option is to look for an inexpensive Business fare. While these may be less expensive than Y or B fares, they are often very restricted with regard to changes and cancellations, and often they must be booked at least two months in advance.

Good luck!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is a new enhanced paper LH/GPU process -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-process.html

and on the UA website there is GPU Terms of use on Lufthansa-operated flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.