FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Thanks for calling United. Four hours late! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1454122-thanks-calling-united-four-hours-late.html)

KevinB Mar 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks for calling United. Four hours late!

Flew Burbank-SFO this morning. Flight was scheduled to leave at 9:44. I get to the airport to check in at 8:30 and find out the flight is delayed til 11:20. If they had called me I could have stayed home and not rushed to get to the airport HOURS early.

We took off at 11:20. Got to Chicago an hour and a half late. At least my SFO-ORD flight wasn't til 2:00. Fought the hordes of people jamming the gate at SFO. Got to hear the GA's saying over and over "boarding for group 1 only. Not group 3,4, or 5!"... Seems like it almost worked. There were only 50 people at the gate instead of 100. :)

I'm sitting on the plane right now waiting for (delayed) takeoff and my phone rings. It's United calling. To let me know my flight from BUR-SFO is going to leave on time at 9:44! Thanks, United. For the wrong flight information at the wrong time.

ilovesprint Mar 31, 2013 4:30 pm

In the age of information, why didn't you check the flight with any number of websites or apps? I get up to date flight info from Tripit, flight track pro or gate guru.

uastarflyer Mar 31, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks for calling United. Four hours late!

You still have to be at the airport on time just in case.

BostonBusinessTraveler Mar 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 20513665)

I had a flight last year that was scheduled for 7:00 PM at PHL. Around 10am it was delayed by an hour, by noon it was delayed until 10pm, and by 3pm it was delayed until 1am.

I had an important morning meeting the following day and I couldn't risk the flight being canceled and then having to compete with everyone else to get onto the first morning flight. I decided to book a room at an airport hotel and change my flight to the AM.

As time got closer and closer to 7:00 PM, the delay was shrinking more and more, eventually to only be 1 hour delayed.

Moral of the story, flight delays can be pushed up just as easily as they can be pushed back.

KevinB Mar 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ilovesprint (Post 20513635)
In the age of information, why didn't you check the flight with any number of websites or apps? I get up to date flight info from Tripit, flight track pro or gate guru.

In the age of Los Angeles traffic, I left when I needed to leave for the airport. I received a notice from Tripit while I was standing in line checking my bag. I received nothing from United - Period - no calls, no texts - nothing - until I was already in my next flight in San Francisco.

Not that it really mattered - my SFO-ORD flight left 40 minutes late anyway. But since I was on a 777 LieFlat seat, THAT delay I didn't mind. :D

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 20513665)

Good point.

Maxwell Smart Mar 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by BostonBusinessTraveler (Post 20513840)
I had a flight last year that was scheduled for 7:00 PM at PHL. Around 10am it was delayed by an hour, by noon it was delayed until 10pm, and by 3pm it was delayed until 1am.

I had an important morning meeting the following day and I couldn't risk the flight being canceled and then having to compete with everyone else to get onto the first morning flight. I decided to book a room at an airport hotel and change my flight to the AM.

As time got closer and closer to 7:00 PM, the delay was shrinking more and more, eventually to only be 1 hour delayed.

Moral of the story, flight delays can be pushed up just as easily as they can be pushed back.

Exactly. Had an experience last month where a flight (UAX) took a mechanical delay just prior to boarding, Capt personally announced to all of us at the gate it would be a minimum of 2 hours till mechanics would even get there, and then probably an hour for repair. Flight ended up departing only 40 minutes late.