Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to check a bag in the middle of a journey?

Old Mar 29, 13, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Platinum

Here is the situation.
A friend of mine has been living in the Bay area for a few months and is going back to China with a big luggage. She is going to visit some relatives in Chicago first for a few days before she returns to Shanghai. The itinerary from Chicago back to Shanghai has a stop in San Francisco (for a couple of hours). Instead of traveling with her big luggage all the way to Chicago and check it in from Chicago to Shanghai, would it be possible that she leaves the luggage in San Francisco, then I take it to the airport on the day she arrives at SFO and check it in from there to PVG?

I hope this is clear...
Old Mar 29, 13, 6:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Yes it is possible but a couple hour stop is tight --- would want at least 3 hours to allow for travel delays, lines, ....
Old Mar 29, 13, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Are you going to check it under your name? If so, no problem.

If she's going to check it, she would need to leave the secure area of the terminal and come out to checkin, whilst also meeting the min checkin requirements for the INTL flight. Could be tight if there are any inbound delays.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 29, 13, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by channa View Post

If she's going to check it, she would need to leave the secure area of the terminal and come out to checkin, whilst also meeting the min checkin requirements for the INTL flight. Could be tight if there are any inbound delays.
That's what I'm thinking too. So you two need to have very good coordination, staying in touch on cell phones, with you taking the luggage to the check-in counter (maybe even standing in line if there's a long line) while she goes from the gate to meet you there. Then she'll need to immediately go thru security screening again to catch her flight. Any kind of inbound delay will make this extremely stressful or difficult.

Good luck!
Old Mar 29, 13, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa View Post

I don't think the OP is flying so they would not be able to check it under their own name. So the person traveling would have to come outside secure area and gather bag then check it themselves.
Old Mar 30, 13, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. No I'm not flying with her. It's actually a little less than two hours so this might be too risky. She would have to fly with all her luggage I guess.
Old Mar 30, 13, 1:32 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LisaH View Post
Thanks everyone. No I'm not flying with her. It's actually a little less than two hours so this might be too risky. She would have to fly with all her luggage I guess.
I also think this is prudent because in the case of IRROPS, she could be accomodated on another set of flights that does not pass through SFO. I know she could always insist on a flight connecting in SFO, but it's another thought.

One thing she might investigate is storing the luggage at ORD. I don't know if that's an option or if she'd be willing to pay the money for this.
Old Mar 30, 13, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IRROPS is the biggest worry. Right now she has a connection in SFO, but that could change. What's her plan if she's routed differently?
Old Mar 30, 13, 4:46 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
There is no longer luggage storage at ORD, according to a quick search.
Old Mar 30, 13, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Could she SDC on the ORD-SFO leg to give herself more time for the connection at SFO?
Old Mar 30, 13, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

What she also tries to avoid (in addition to the inconvenience of lugging a big suitcase) is paying the extra luggage check-in fee as she has no status with United. Once she gets to ORD, her relative will pick her up so it will not be an issue. I suppose she just has to bite the bullet and pay up. How much is the luggage check-in fee these days for domestic flight?
Old Mar 30, 13, 5:44 pm
Suspended

1. We don't know that UA will even accept luggage at a connection point on a China-bound itinerary.

2. SDC presents the same problems as IRROPS. OP can't just SDC, there has to be space and on the day of on a heavily-overbooked route, there's a good chance that there won't be availability on an earlier flight. If there isn't, the gambit doesn't work.

Either OP's friend bites the bullet and changes -- and pays the change fee -- to an earlier flight after confirming that what the friend wants to do is doable on a China-bound flight, or she schleps the luggage w. her to CHI.
Old Mar 30, 13, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
What she also tries to avoid (in addition to the inconvenience of lugging a big suitcase) is paying the extra luggage check-in fee as she has no status with United. Once she gets to ORD, her relative will pick her up so it will not be an issue. I suppose she just has to bite the bullet and pay up. How much is the luggage check-in fee these days for domestic flight?
$25. But if it's all on one ticket, they won't charge her for the bag, since there's an international leg.
Old Mar 30, 13, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
$25. But if it's all on one ticket, they won't charge her for the bag, since there's an international leg.
Thanks. It's on one ticket but with a 3 day stop-over in Chicago...
$25 is not bad especially for the size of suitcase
Old Mar 31, 13, 11:56 am
Suspended

Beware of oversized and overweight luggage

Thanks. It's on one ticket but with a 3 day stop-over in Chicago...
$25 is not bad especially for the size of suitcase
OP - Make sure that your friend carefully reads the baggage size and weight limits for her trip. I've posted a link. But for her ORD-SFO-Asia, the charges are $200 if the bag is too large and another $200 if it's too heavy. There will be lower fees on the SFO-ORD, but still hefty.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...ageExcess.aspx

Search this Thread
Search Engine: