Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to check a bag in the middle of a journey?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to check a bag in the middle of a journey?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Question Check a bag at connecting airport?

Hi FTers,

I am going to fly BUF-EWR-LAS next month, a friend of mine will join me at EWR on same EWR-LAS flight. He don't have any status, so I am wondering when I am at EWR, can I walk to checkin counter and check his bag under my name to avoid the $25 fee?

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Hi FTers,

I am going to fly BUF-EWR-LAS next month, a friend of mine will join me at EWR on same EWR-LAS flight. He don't have any status, so I am wondering when I am at EWR, can I walk to checkin counter and check his bag under my name to avoid the $25 fee?

Thanks!
Yes, if you really want to re-clear security.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes, if you really want to re-clear security.
Thanks! I have almost 3 hours connecting time, at least I can do my friend a favor and invite him to have a drink in UC.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Thanks! I have almost 3 hours connecting time, at least I can do my friend a favor and invite him to have a drink in UC.
That's a nice thing to do as long as you're not an aging, overweight physics professor and she's not a famous Czech model 30 years younger
Old May 31, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: UA 1k
Can you check baggage in between segments

I am a Premier Gold on United and check in 3 bags. I am traveling from AMD-BOM-EWR. AMD-BOM is on Jet Airways and they only let me check in 1 bag 23kg. I am planning on sending ahead a couple of 32 kgs bags and then checking them in BOM. As gold we are allowed 3 bags of 32kgs each.

Is it this possibility?
Old May 31, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: UA, HH
Should not be a problem, as I understand.

I have an interesting experience of trying to go through security in BRU with some duty-free items... Long story short I had to go through passport control and customs (enter Belgium), check the bag with, and leave Belgium... This is probably the shortest ever visit to Belgium - under 15 minutes
Old May 31, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by gumnaam
I am a Premier Gold on United and check in 3 bags. I am traveling from AMD-BOM-EWR. AMD-BOM is on Jet Airways and they only let me check in 1 bag 23kg. I am planning on sending ahead a couple of 32 kgs bags and then checking them in BOM. As gold we are allowed 3 bags of 32kgs each.

Is it this possibility?
United will let you this.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
United will let you this.
Is the OP absolutely sure that Jet won't let them check in the UA allowance?

It all depends on ticketing carrier, if they follow the DoT regulations, and it's all on one ticket.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:21 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ighlight=check

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ighlight=check
Old May 31, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by aacharya
Is the OP absolutely sure that Jet won't let them check in the UA allowance?

It all depends on ticketing carrier, if they follow the DoT regulations, and it's all on one ticket.
I have an email from jet that they won't.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Some years ago I flew DCA-BOS-FRA-Dresden, with the first flight on US and the rest on LH. For some reason, US was unable to check my luggage to Dresden, so they offered to check it as far as FRA. I asked if I could retrieve it in BOS instead and check it with LH there instead of FRA. US agreed, and everythign went smoothly.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can I check additional baggage mid-itinerary?

Hi all. I have an upcoming UA itinerary, on the return leg of a trip, from AAA-ORD-BBB, where AAA is international. I have scheduled a ~5 hour layover in ORD in part because I have some items I'd like to pick up at a Chicago area retailer. In order to get these to BBB they will need to be checked.

My question - should I expect to have any difficulty checking these additional items mid-itinerary, and how should I go about this? I realize of course that I'll be collecting my bags post-customs, but would then need to leave the airport to collect my purchases and return to check them. Should I ask the agents at AAA to only check me in as far as ORD and then show up and check in for ORD-BBB w/ all my luggage at once? Would be great to be able to re-check my suitcase after customs (so I don't have to haul it around town) but I'm not sure what the rules are (if any) when it comes to adding checked bags at a connecting airport.

Many thanks
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I've done this before, though it was LAX-LHR-AMS and I left the secure area and picked up a package from our local office and checked it in at LHR without any issue. I just went to the checkin desk and explained the situation, they happily checked the bag and I went back through security.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by eflyte
Hi all. I have an upcoming UA itinerary, on the return leg of a trip, from AAA-ORD-BBB, where AAA is international. I have scheduled a ~5 hour layover in ORD in part because I have some items I'd like to pick up at a Chicago area retailer. In order to get these to BBB they will need to be checked.

My question - should I expect to have any difficulty checking these additional items mid-itinerary, and how should I go about this? I realize of course that I'll be collecting my bags post-customs, but would then need to leave the airport to collect my purchases and return to check them. Should I ask the agents at AAA to only check me in as far as ORD and then show up and check in for ORD-BBB w/ all my luggage at once? Would be great to be able to re-check my suitcase after customs (so I don't have to haul it around town) but I'm not sure what the rules are (if any) when it comes to adding checked bags at a connecting airport.

Many thanks
You can do this no problem. Re-check your suit case after customs and then just visit the check in counter on your return to the airport to add the second bag.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Excellent, thanks for the feedback. Seemed do-able but I didn't want to get 'stuck' with luggage I couldn't check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.