Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best flights for use of GPU to Yerevan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Best flights for use of GPU to Yerevan

I am a United 1K flyer, flying to Yerevan from LAX and want to use one of my global upgrades to upgrade to business for the long first leg to Europe and back. The two best alternatives (there is nothing great) are Lufthansa through Munich or Swiss through Zurich. Any opinions on where I will have the best chance of getting an upgrade? The Swiss flight (on an A340) has 47 business class seats, and the Lufthansa (also an A340) has 60. Any other advice? Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:57 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
tomascordero, welcome to FlyerTalk!

This is really specific to United as Global Premier Upgrades, which are issued by United may only be used on flights operated by United, Copa; or, under certain conditions, Lufthansa. (See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx)

Therefore, I'll move this to the United forum for further discussion.

Also, as no cross-posting is allowed on FlyerTalk, I'll coordinate with the moderator of the MilesBuzz forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz and United.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tomascordero
I am a United 1K flyer, flying to Yerevan from LAX and want to use one of my global upgrades to upgrade to business for the long first leg to Europe and back. The two best alternatives (there is nothing great) are Lufthansa through Munich or Swiss through Zurich. Any opinions on where I will have the best chance of getting an upgrade? The Swiss flight (on an A340) has 47 business class seats, and the Lufthansa (also an A340) has 60. Any other advice? Thanks.
Your best chance is to use it on a United operated flight. GPUs cannot be used on Swiss and while they can be used on Lufthansa, they restrict them to almost only full Y fare (The following Lufthansa fares are not eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: L, T, X, I, R, N, E, S, W, Z, P, K, O, ID, AD and IP.) and you need to request a paper certificate from UA to give to LH and can only be requested at the time of check in.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tomascordero
You won't be able to use your GPU on the Swiss flight, and if you want to use it on the LH flight, you'll have to pay for a high fare, and it will only cover one leg (i.e. the LAX-FRA, but won't include the FRA-Yerevan).

What I'd look into is doing something like: LAX-EWR-IST-Yerevan, in which case you can be upgraded from LAX all the way to Istanbul on United and then take a relatively short final hop in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.