FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   DirecTV no charge for elites or glitch (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1452655-directv-no-charge-elites-glitch.html)

Sterndogg Mar 26, 2013 12:04 pm

DirecTV no charge for elites or glitch

Was flying back of the bus IAH-BOS last Friday on a 739 and swiped my card then accepted the $7.99 fee...used a legacy Chase UA MP Select card. Logged in today and still no pending/posted charges showing. Perhaps jumping the gun but in the past I recall all in-flight purchases were very quick to show as pending and/or posting online. Just lucky this time around or is it possible elites are getting comped DirecTV (probably wishful thinking).

edcho Mar 26, 2013 12:14 pm

IME, it can take almost a week for on-board charges to show up while other charges can show up overnight.

sbm12 Mar 26, 2013 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sterndogg (Post 20486246)
Perhaps jumping the gun ...

Quite likely so. :-:

mherdeg Mar 26, 2013 12:17 pm

We'll look forward to a follow-up post in 3-8 weeks: "United posted a mysterious $7.99 charge to my credit card, was my CC stolen?!"

IAH-OIL-TRASH Mar 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sterndogg (Post 20486246)
...elites are getting comped DirecTV (probably wishful thinking).

It sure would be nice though! UA probably would have to compensate DTV with cold, hard cash for the comps, though. They should at least comp 1Ks... :cool:

tomj888 Mar 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Was free for me in F

Flying MIA-IAH watched tv w/o having to swipe a card. Thought it was a perk for F class passengers. Gotta say, I was happy for the perk

DWFI Mar 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by tomj888 (Post 20486412)
Flying MIA-IAH watched tv w/o having to swipe a card. Thought it was a perk for F class passengers. Gotta say, I was happy for the perk

It is free for F.

hobo13 Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 20486332)
It sure would be nice though! UA probably would have to compensate DTV with cold, hard cash for the comps, though. They should at least comp 1Ks... :cool:

Given the high CPU rate for 1K's, this shouldn't cost them that much at all.....

LASUA1K Mar 26, 2013 1:15 pm

They should do like WN, they offer free wifi for upper lever elites. UA should offer free inflight for 1K's. It wouldn't cover me as I'm not a 1K, but this would be a nice jesture.

Baze Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm

With UA stealing pennies out of fountains do you really think they will give DTV away for free to anybody in coach?:rolleyes:

weirdlyndon Mar 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 20486311)
Well look forward to a follow-up post in 3-8 weeks: "United posted a mysterious $7.99 charge to my credit card, was my CC stolen?!"

This. I bought a Thai Chicken wrap on a BOS-SFO flight in January. My credit card was finally charged at the end of February.

While DTV is supposed to upload charges quicker than the handheld devices (DTV uses a system called WADL to wireless upload charges at airports equipped with the technology) they are certainly not charged in real time, and 99.9% positive United will never comp it, even for elites.

Sterndogg Mar 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Wishful thinking I'm sure...will report back when/if the charge posts...certainly would be a nice gesture like AA giving a free snack and drink to EXP's in coach.

valor155 Mar 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13 (Post 20486468)
Given the high CPU rate for 1K's, this shouldn't cost them that much at all.....

Haha . . . surely you jest? :cool:

neo_781 Mar 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sterndogg (Post 20486725)
Wishful thinking I'm sure...will report back when/if the charge posts...certainly would be a nice gesture like AA giving a free snack and drink to EXP's in coach.

The UA equivalent (or close approximation) is that they give their 1k's drink coupons - may not cover every flight you take but you can pick and choose when to use them and also how many drinks you want vs. the one AA offers. Also can be transferred as you don't have to be on board to order the drink.

ATXflyer Mar 26, 2013 4:01 pm

First you have to find a plane with DirectTV. All these ghetto birds from United only have off color CRT's hanging from the ceiling.