DirecTV no charge for elites or glitch

Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by DWFI
It is free for F.
It felt weird being the only passenger in F who actually watched it. I was flying BOS-IAD in F. I could see that I was the only person who was watching TV as everyone else was sitting at the default CNN channel while on the ground, and nobody else changed the channel after the Smisek lecture.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by diburning
It felt weird being the only passenger in F who actually watched it. I was flying BOS-IAD in F. I could see that I was the only person who was watching TV as everyone else was sitting at the default CNN channel while on the ground, and nobody else changed the channel after the Smisek lecture.
It is really not that uncommon no one watched it. There are times with just no programs worth to watch on DTV. I prefer AVOD than DTV.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
It is really not that uncommon no one watched it. There are times with just no programs worth to watch on DTV. I prefer AVOD than DTV.
Have to agree with this. I don't see the big advantage to DTV over AVOD. The thing that really gets me is that since its based on wall clock schedules, you often end up watching the end of one program and only the beginning of another. And I've been on a bunch of flights, where watching the movie was totally useless, as the by the time they movies start, there is not enough flight time left to finish it. An of course the biggest one is that you can not pause what you are viewing.

Cheers,
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:52 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
My pending charge the other day showed up as "Jet Blue DTV, Melbourne, FL". When it changed to a final charge the name was also changed to "LTV/UNITED INFLIGHT TV - MELBOURNE FL"
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
I'm confused why it doesn't show up as pending. How does the reader validate that your card isn't declined, inactive, etc.?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson
I'm confused why it doesn't show up as pending. How does the reader validate that your card isn't declined, inactive, etc.?
It doesn't -- it can't validate it without a phone line and/or internet connection and there isn't any at 30,000 feet in the air.

I'm sure they get burned atleast a few times because of this. Maybe once WiFi gets installed on the fleet, they can perform live transactions.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by edcho
It doesn't -- it can't validate it without a phone line and/or internet connection and there isn't any at 30,000 feet in the air.

I'm sure they get burned atleast a few times because of this. Maybe once WiFi gets installed on the fleet, they can perform live transactions.
So, if i swipe a cancelled card thru, I'll get it for free? thx...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ted
My pending charge the other day showed up as "Jet Blue DTV, Melbourne, FL". When it changed to a final charge the name was also changed to "LTV/UNITED INFLIGHT TV - MELBOURNE FL"
JetBlue owns LiveTV, which provides the service to several different carriers including UA. Of course, on their own flights, on UA and on WestJet in Canada. Think there are some others, as well. Not that odd to have names change between a pending charge and when it is posted.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
So, if i swipe a cancelled card thru, I'll get it for free? thx...
Yeah.. not like they have a record of who was sitting in any particular seat or anything...

I suspect you might get away with it once or twice but I wouldn't bet on it working for too long before they came after you.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
This. I bought a Thai Chicken wrap on a BOS-SFO flight in January. My credit card was finally charged at the end of February.

While DTV is supposed to upload charges quicker than the handheld devices (DTV uses a system called WADL to wireless upload charges at airports equipped with the technology) they are certainly not charged in real time, and 99.9% positive United will never comp it, even for elites.
As part of service recovery or to entertain unaccompanied minors, it has been comped by some UA FAs.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never paid for it but I saw a person next to me get very frustrated. Everytime the plane banked it lost the signal and had to reaquire. He was watching a sporting event. And yes, he paid for it. Said he was going to ask for a refund.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
On Saturday from ORD to SFO the little bubble asking for us to pay never showed up, so I got it for free, which was essential with march madness going on and a pretty long flight. I'm a 100K but the flight was also delayed by about an hour, so I'm not sure if it was comped because of flight delay.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
DirecTV no charge for elites or glitch

Haven't paid for it in E+. Ever. Tricks of the trade😉.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
The United site only says that it's free for First class, not E+. Is it really free for E+, or are you referring to something else?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe
JetBlue owns LiveTV, which provides the service to several different carriers including UA. Of course, on their own flights, on UA and on WestJet in Canada. Think there are some others, as well. Not that odd to have names change between a pending charge and when it is posted.
All of my charges and refunds from United show up as Continental Airlines when they are pending, but changed to United after they clear

Originally Posted by GregMM
The United site only says that it's free for First class, not E+. Is it really free for E+, or are you referring to something else?
On my BOS-IAD flight, the FA did announce that the DirecTV was free for all. I was in F, but I could see that E+ was using it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.