Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best way to Downgrade UA International F to Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hey Folks

So I'm taking my Mom to Thailand and Loas. I'm on an upgraded Y Fare to DEN-SF0-NRT-BKK and She's on a UA F Award all the way.

I know She'd rather sit with me than sit by herself in UA International F.

What's the best way to downgrade her?

1. Trade Seats with my seatmate in C? Is this "legal"

2. Ask at the Gate and get it approved?

I was originally not planning to fly on the same routing because I was on the Dreamliner DEN-NRT flight but now I was able to get reboooked on the same itinerary as her's but in Business and She's in F.

Any Chance a Y fare gets a double upgrade?

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:07 pm

I really doubt it on the double upgrade. But it's never a problem to swap seats with s/o in a lower cabin so long as the person agrees. I've done this. It is inconceivable that there won't be a solo traveller in C who's enjoy going up to Global First, so don't worry, just ask the purser when you get on the plane.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by boulderflyer21
What's the best way to downgrade her?

1. Trade Seats with my seatmate in C? Is this "legal"
Just offer to trade seats with your seatmate in C. Let the flight attendant know if they ask questions.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Ask Purser?

So you guys think it's best to do it on the plane?

I'm sure someone in C would LOVE to get a free upgrade to F, and I personally don't think there is much difference between UA C and UA F. Now if it was SQ or TG, I bet she'd bail on sitting with me!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:11 pm

As she is on an award, she can fly in business with you if there is I class inventory. Depending on the status of the person whose miles were used to book the award, there may not be a fee to redeposit the difference in miles between an F and C award. You may want to try calling to ask about the change, and if I inventory is unavailable, you may be able to waitlist her for it.

If you can't get it in advance, your gate agent and seatmate plans may work. Reports elsewhere in this forum have stated the importance of asking the purser for permission before making a swap between classes after boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.