Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random: Elvis' Blue Hawaii and UA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Random: Elvis' Blue Hawaii and UA

I'm watching Blue Hawaii on Netflix. When Elvis arrives (in HNL?), he is on a United plane. Did UA fly to Hawaii in the 1960s? Where did they fly from? I know it's random.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I love that movie! Had my wedding in Hawaii and did the dad-daughter dance to Blue Hawaii.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I wonder whether Elvis's Stratocruiser had a lower-deck lounge and sleeping berths in the F cabin (standard Pan Am features on this equipment if I understand http://www.everythingpanam.com/1946_-_1960.html correctly).
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I used to watch the Brady Bunch when I was little and recall they went to Hawaii on United too in the late 60s/early 70s.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I flew United Airlines from Los Angeles to Honolulu in 1960, I was 4 years old. At the time, the central gates that AA and DL currently use was a uncovered concourse. You'd walk out and then down the gate stairs to the Tarmac where your 707 was waiting. Maybe it was a Dc-8. I was too young to know the difference.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:47 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Isn't UA one of the oldest traditional carriers to Hawaii?

That's why you see (maybe not anymore) the old enthusiastic crews who roll out the cart in 1st class that has Hawaii Friendship service, with flowers, the black shell necklaces. I wonder if someone can find the old posters of the glory days of Honolulu clipper service.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I'm watching Blue Hawaii on Netflix. When Elvis arrives (in HNL?), he is on a United plane.
Yep!

David

Last edited by DELee; Mar 23, 2018 at 6:36 pm Reason: stupid greedy photo storage website
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Wow, look at those hula dancers at the bottom of the stairs getting ready to dance for the passengers when they get off.
That must of been a special "aloha" feeling.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Brasila
PMUA crews always promoted the spirit of "aloha" on flights to Hawaii. With COdbaUA the aloha spirit is no where to be found on Hawaii flights now IMHO.
They dont get the history UA has on this route. I really wish we can go back in time and get real mai tai's and real Aloha style food. ORD-HNL has been a joke in first the last 3 times I took it.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
They dont get the history UA has on this route.
Great point. This was THE flagship route for United for decades. UA wasn't really much of an international player until acquiring Pan Am's pacific routes. If I recall correctly, HNL was such a flagship destination that the old ORD - HNL run held flight number UA1.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all of the history everyone. Very cool.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold 2014 - Silver 2018
Back in the early 1980's I flew from HNL on a 747 with a 2nd deck lounge, now I fly on 737's, I guess that's considered progress.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA G
They dont get the history UA has on this route. I really wish we can go back in time and get real mai tai's and real Aloha style food. ORD-HNL has been a joke in first the last 3 times I took it.
I have generally been a fan of the merger, but the loss of real mai tais on the Hawaii service is truly disappointing
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Of course not. That would require an effort/desire to make customers feel special. Good thing these guys don't run Disney. After a year or two, those properties would look like the Chinese Olympic venues.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: CO - HHHonors, Marriott rewards...
http://www.planespotters.net/Product...d-Airlines.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.