Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lawsuit filed over "actual flight distances"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Another class action suit has been filed against United, this time alleging breach of contract for only crediting point-to-point distances rather than actual flown miles. The claimant suggests that the MP T&C doesn't state that actual miles are not the basis of the calculation so they necessarily must be. And that he and others have been routinely shorted many miles because of this.

He cites IAD-PEK, noting that UA only credits customers 6,920 points when two recent flights of his were 7.276 and 7,043 miles actually flown. He wants those points, plus his 25% Premier bonus miles.

Most surprising to me is that he took this tack rather than claiming that UA is shorting customers by crediting a number shorter than the actual point-to-point distances. IAD-PEK is 6,921. EWR-HKG is 8,065 and only earns 8,060 miles.

Anyways, another lawsuit to watch unfold.

More details:
http://blog.wandr.me/2013/03/lawsuit...ileage-credit/
http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/t...ml?id=14376144

PDF of the filing:
http://wandr.me/PDFs/HanvUnited.pdf
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Glad to see another one ^
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Glad to see another one ^
Do you think it has merit, or do you just want to see the company buried in lawsuits?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The case for lawsuit reform in the USA. ^^^^

This guy's claim is that UA is being deceptive by not awarding miles for each flight to go by actual flight distance travelled -- i.e. what Flightaware tells us.

No carrier does this, so I imagine the lawsuit is going to be tossed, because they'd have to be giving different miles for almost every individual flight without a single set
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by demkr
No carrier does this, so I imagine the lawsuit is going to be tossed, because they'd have to be giving different miles for almost every individual flight without a single set
Well to be fair, they also filed suit against Delta and USAirways.

http://www.meimark.com/news/mei-mark...nd-us-airways/

I wonder if the AAdvantage rules are clear on this subject, or if they just lacked a lead plaintiff...
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
But this might scare the legacy carriers into moving to a spend-based FF program rather than maintaining a miles-based FF program.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Makes me wonder if a lawsuit like this would have popped up if it weren't for Jeffy's mile-shaving scheme a year ago. (Which was eventually retracted and claimed to be an honest mistake.... which I still don't believe for a second.)
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Do you think it has merit, or do you just want to see the company buried in lawsuits?
I don't know if the suit has merit or not. Looking at the United website, it appears that United defines miles earning as follows:

"Actual mileage posting will be determined by the purchased ticket routing."

The reality of flight routing is that seven consecutive IAD-NRT flights will likely have seven different routes, and seven different actual miles flown. I think it would be a paperwork nightmare to attribute miles actually flown on each flight. Thus, it makes sense that UA and other airlines would pick the "average" routing from which to determine how many miles to award a passenger.

I don't want to see UA buried in lawsuits, but they are currently reaping what they have sown.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:53 pm

This 'lawsuit' is pathetic in my opinion. How such ludicrous cases are even allowed to by filed is a joke. Wish whoever filed it would get fined and maybe taken out of the gene pool. Although, in fairness to him, stupider cases have won
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
The airlines have created a monster with frequent flyer programs.

If it keeps getting worse, I'd almost like to see the airlines just end the programs entirely - or restructure them entirely that things like this can't happen.

The only big result I can see is a lot of deflated egos...
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
I don't agree with the seeming randomness of mile changes, and UA could possibly be more upfront about this... the idea of a lawsuit here is silly. We are talking about a small amount of miles, even in the aggregate. Maybe they will ultimately seek to consolidate all MP claims into one single class action.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
If someone feels wrong then they have a right to seek corrective measure in a court of law. As we know COdbaUA has always tried to play fair with it FF'ers!
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Hard to think of a better use for
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sulley
If it keeps getting worse, I'd almost like to see the airlines just end the programs entirely - or restructure them entirely that things like this can't happen.
With each bs lawsuit filed I feel like we are inching closer to this outcome.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by Sulley
The airlines have created a monster with frequent flyer programs.

The only big result I can see is a lot of deflated egos...
Pfftt... The airlines and hotels created a structure that engendered loyalty (their intended purpose) and some decided to significantly alter terms. In many cases they promoted "lifetime" benefits creating hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue. Some people are holding them to the terms of their promises. I don't think this fits in that mold, but certainly JS should have expected some fallout.

The first airline to cut out the program will get the CEO fired in the first Q as droves of passengers leave. The only way they could accomplish this feat is to pair with a significant cut in fares... right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.