Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Meal Options (Flying UA to Kona in First)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond

Guys,

I have never looked, so I don't know. My son and I are flying to KOA first class and being very little, he won't eat the plane meal I am sure. If I brought microwaveable Mac & cheese, could they cook it?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the newb ?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 5: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

No MW - just the regular oven. I think that should work for you, too
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
Guys,

I have never looked, so I don't know. My son and I are flying to KOA first class and being very little, he won't eat the plane meal I am sure. If I brought microwaveable Mac & cheese, could they cook it?

No dumb questions.

Just no.

Billy
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS
Guys,

Not only is there no microwave but they will NOT be able to heat something for you in their ovens. All meal containers are designed and tested so that they don't catch fire on the plane.

Does he like Ramen, or something else you can just add hot water to? That might be another option.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How old of a child are we talking? I used to get the kids meal well into my teens because it quite often was a hot dog and something far more edible than chicken slop.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
How old of a child are we talking? I used to get the kids meal well into my teens because it quite often was a hot dog and something far more edible than chicken slop.
5. How do I get a kids meal? Not used to sitting up front!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
5. How do I get a kids meal? Not used to sitting up front!
Check out http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...l/default.aspx ::

"Child: This meal is available for children from 2 to 12 years of age, and includes food offerings which appeal to children. The meals planned for United follow Recommended Dietary Allowances for children."

"Where does United offer special meals? … Special meals are available in premium cabins on domestic flights with scheduled meal service between: … The continental U.S. and Hawaii"

"If special meals are available on a flight, you will be able to make a special meals request during the booking process after signing in to your MileagePlus account. MileagePlus account holders can also add special meal preferences to their profiles for use with bookings made through united.com. When signed in to your MileagePlus account and making a reservation on united.com, if you have a special meal preference set in your profile, you should verify that the correct special meal has been assigned to the applicable traveler’s name prior to confirming the reservation."

I recommend calling United and asking them to add the request to the reservation (then maybe calling back later and confirming that it's really there, depending on how certain the first person sounded). Given the recent changes to online traveler profiles (you can't make many changes to travelers' profiles after booking, apparently a TSA requirement), it is probably worth calling.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The best backup is food which can be served cold and which won't spoil between home and meal time. Sandwiches come to mind. UA is prohibited from using unapproved containers in the ovens (although I've seen FA's heating their own personal stuff).
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Get to the airport a little early and let your son pick something cold that appeals to him from the food vendors, or pack some sort of sandwich he'd like before you leave home.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: CO Gold
A little trick we discovered for our "picky eater" was to bring a sealable tupperware container, ask for 2 cups of hot water, pour it in, float the mac and cheese packet, seal the container up and wait 5 minutes. Worked like a charm!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
ah ha. my poor college life skills finally come in handy. it sounds like you're talking about easy mac. you don't need to microwave it. just ask for hot water and pour it into the cup and cover it. it acts like a mini steamer and will take a little longer than microwaving it, but the net output will be the same. mix in fake cheese and enjoy!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Guys, thank you all, great suggestions. I did get a kids meal ordered. I will bring a easy Mack as back up!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:33 am

They're actually convection ovens
Easy mac is a great backup too!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Guys, thank you all, great suggestions. I did get a kids meal ordered. I will bring a easy Mack as back up!
How do you make Easy Mac without a microwave? I've tried just adding how water and can ASSURE you the noodles do not even come close to cooking. Cup of noodles yes, but not Easy Mac.

Cold options are likey the best bet for a kid.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Now if they put the 787's battery in the galley, there would be no need for ovens .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.