Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights (2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights (2013)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Seriously? Have you ever been to San Francisco in August??? Here's a suggestion: Bring a heavy coat.

Also, note that when it's foggy in the morning, there is a cascade of delays that can throw off the flight schedule all day long. The plane inbound for the 1:40 p.m. departure came from somewhere else, which means it had to land at SFO at least 90 minutes prior to 1:40 p.m. And therein lies the problem . . . .
SEA-SFO arrival delays began to stack up starting mid-morning: 1st 2 OK, then -20 min, -2h 11min, -43 min, -57 min, -34 min, as the day is progressing
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Ua 1029 pit-sfo 8/11

UA 1029 PIT-SFO diverted to CLE this morning, arrived 5:45AM and departed for SFO 8:16AM, aircraft change must have been a mechanical issue.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
UA 687 delayed due to no water in the LAVs. Resorted to "wet-ones"
Not sure if it was an actual maintenance issue or they drained the plane of water due to previously stated weight reatrictions leaving SNA.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:49 am

IAH to MSY. Delayed one hour plus to "change lightbulbs."

How many UA employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sannmann
Is fog still a problem in the afternoon? UA102 is supposed to leave SFO at 1:40pm and is supposed to arrive DCA at 10pm.
goalie-sis flew UA102 yesterday (8/11) and the flight (sccheduled departure 1:31pm) was delayed for 50 minutes because the inbound flight ex-LAS was held on the ground at LAS due to ATC weather delays (low cigs/fog) at SFO.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
UA 3380 ORD-MDT on 8-10 was delayed 3 hours due to a 'mechanical issue'. Equipment and gate change got me home to Harrisburg, but I just want to say that of all my delays this year this is the first where United actually admitted that it was mechanical in nature, and gave regular updates to those of us sitting in the gate area. Kudos for the updates anyway
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Well, UA1616 ORD to SMF is becoming a mess in a hurry tonight. 5 minutes after scheduled boarding they announced mx. We have been standing here awhile now...with no updates, no attempt to sub another ship (and we all know that UA has almost as many 737s as E145s). Anyone else on this flight tonight? About an hour now and counting rapidly. Not so great for an already late night departure and a 4 1/2 hour flight.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddrost1
Well, UA1616 ORD to SMF is becoming a mess in a hurry tonight. 5 minutes after scheduled boarding they announced mx. We have been standing here awhile now...with no updates, no attempt to sub another ship (and we all know that UA has almost as many 737s as E145s). Anyone else on this flight tonight? About an hour now and counting rapidly. Not so great for an already late night departure and a 4 1/2 hour flight.
they finally abandoned the original plane and moved us to a new one (forcing a move from B3 to C26). currently it is 10:20pm in ORD and they are predicting a 10:55pm departure. yeah right.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:47 am

UA6506 - aborted take-off, 27-Aug-2013

I had an "interesting" experience on United yesterday, flying from ABQ - LAX. Check-in, boarding etc was uneventful. We pulled away from the gate on time, taxied to the runway and started the take-off run. The plane acceleration felt like it was very close to take off, then de-acceleration and braking.. We taxied back to about 200 yards from the gate. At this point there was an announcement from the captain than a 'warning light" had come on, so he had to abort takeoff. The fire trucks came out to check the brake temperature (with fireman in silver heat suits that had one of the young passengers telling his mom there were aliens outside.) We waited another 25 minuted for the brakes to cool (assuming we were a fire risk.)and the temperature was re-checked. Another announcement that the brakes were cooling adequately and we were now being towed to the gate, and deplaning. Not good news. ABQ (alberquerque) was close to being closed up for the night. The gate agent handled the situation well. Made it very clear that mobbing the counter wasn't an alternative, and that we would be called up individually, depending on connections and destination. He remained courteous & efficient. South West was flying, but United had no arrangements with them, so, that wasn't being offered as an option. AA had one more flight out, United prioritized, first booking passengers with international connection that could still make, then passengers with domestic connections that could be made, then those whose final destination was LAX. The remaining United passengers were sent to he United counter to be re-booked, then were either bussed to the Airport Sheraton in ABQ, or flown the PAX and provided accommodation at LA overnight.
At the time we were ticketed on AA the United flight was not yet officially cancelled, but I did see later it had been.
Overall, it was an un-needed experience, but, flying 50 odd legs over the past 10 years or so with absolutely no problems, not even delays, I suppose I was due something.
In hindsight I'm wondering, was there anything I could have done to be more proactive about getting myself on an alternative flight? rather then sitting passively and hoping I got onto the AA flight?
Also, am I entitled to any type of compensation from United - I accept they handled the "mechanical problem" situation well, but, the point remains I was about 2hr 40min late arriving. I don't expect much, but, some token miles would be nice. Comments?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:35 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Not sure there is any compensation available. Sounds like they got you on the only other flight option that was available.

As far as mechanical problems go, don't forget, it's much better to find out about them on the ground than at 30,000 feet.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
You might want to write in to Simon at http://avherald.com/ ( http://avherald.com/h?contact=&opt=0 ) — he loves firsthand reports of incidents.

Re: compensation, in general if you write to United customer relations expressing your disappointment that a possible mechanical problem in the fleet of a UA-affiliated regional airline caused a significant disruption to your travel, and you mention your dismay at the experience and your hope that maintenance standards will improve, you may be offered an apology and a travel certificate. These days, it is more common to get just an apology (UA does not offer quite as much "bad trip insurance" via customer relations as they used to).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:45 pm

Yes, I was not upset that the flight was aborted, much preferable than warning being ignored :-)
As suggested, I emailed an amended copy of the report to Simon, and am in the process of wording an email to United. I guess one bonus of the delay was that I will receive AA miles for the rebooked flight.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Auscal
Yes, I was not upset that the flight was aborted, much preferable than warning being ignored :-)
As suggested, I emailed an amended copy of the report to Simon, and am in the process of wording an email to United. I guess one bonus of the delay was that I will receive AA miles for the rebooked flight.
you can request ORC and also get UA miles @:-)

however ORC will affect your ability to get other compensation such as ecerts.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:14 pm

Nope, No ORC in this case - I was on an award flight :-)
Just received a reply, offered either 7000 miles, $150 voucher, or 20% voucher. I'm relatively happy.

Last edited by Auscal; Aug 29, 2013 at 9:51 pm
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: US Gold, * Gold, MileagePlus, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, PC
Wink Not the Friendly Skies, DEN-ORD 1086 9/20

Sitting on 1086 DEN-ORD all ready to go. CAPT says he is being reassigned and our pilot will land in 5 minutes, have to walk over to gate, do paperwork and we should be away from gate by 4:30. How is this friendly?

To make things worse, purser keeps announcing we can activate the Directv in the seat back by swiping our card. Oops, no IFE on this 739! But it has the new lighting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.