Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reason for cancellations, baggage allowance after downgrade.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold

My Flight UA6314 SAN-MMH for March 14 has been cancelled.

Agent over the phone alleged "weather". I find that unbelievable, given that California is having wonderful weather and these small aircrafts don't go too far.

1. Where to find online what the official reason for cancellation is?

2. I had upgraded to First (offered at online check-in) to take advantage of the free checked bags and paid $49. Now I am in coach to SFO, then on First to MMH. I am afraid that airport agent in SAN will try to make me pay for my checked bags. Can she? Phone agent assured me I should not be charged for checking bags, since I was booked in first when the irrops occured. Otherwise, how do I ask for a refund of my $49 if I am forced to pay baggage fee at airport?

3. Can I get on the upgrade list for the flight to SFO?

4. If in fact it was some other reason that entitles some sort of compensation (I am losing my lift ticket for example), should I ask for it at the airport? or...????

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else, I don't come to this forum very often, not elite with UA.

Thanks,
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Flight from LAX to SAN 10:30pm was cancelled last night, so no plane this morning in SAN. What was weather in LAX and SAN around that time? Fog?

If one of your legs is in First, you should not be charged for bag. My guess (I could be wrong) is that you are already on standby list for 1st to SFO, but it could have already been full at this time.

You will not be compensated for lift ticket.

Happy (ski) trails, nonetheless!

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 14, 2013 at 8:57 am
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Fog...I guess that is right.

But isn't there a source on line to find reasons for delay?

AA has it in the AAcargo webpage.

By the way, the phone agent was EXTREMELY rude, was not based in US and just wanted to book me on a next day flight, and said that's all she had. Only after I went to kayak and found available flights for sale and started giving her suggestions, she started to check for other options. I know it is not the elite line and I am used to the EXP desk of AA but...I accept the lack of knowledge, not the rudeness.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carlosdca
.... But isn't there a source on line to find reasons for delay?

AA has it in the AAcargo webpage. ....
you can check www.unitedcargo.com, it was better in the past but it tends to be the best source for UA.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Unitedcargo.com says "Operations" is the cancel reason.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Thanks! Fog...I guess that is right.
SFO tends to have big fog problems. It doesn't shut the airport down, it limits it's capacity. The local flights tend to fare the worst when this happens. I'm one state over and still have troubles with SFO's fog messing with flights.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
SFO tends to have big fog problems. It doesn't shut the airport down, it limits it's capacity. The local flights tend to fare the worst when this happens. I'm one state over and still have troubles with SFO's fog messing with flights.
I think the fog problem might've actually been in SAN. I know sometime in the last couple of days someone posted because they took off from SFO for SAN and diverted to LAX due to fog - and wanted to know why they took off "knowing they would have to divert."
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA Gold, SPG, Marriott Gold
Flight 838 NRT - SFO was cancelled for March 15. No reason given. Everything looks good weather wise. What is up? Incoming plan is in the air and on time.

Do they just cancel long hauls due to capacity? Stuck in coach now from business. This sucks.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by blakeIV
?...Do they just cancel long hauls due to capacity?...
no

It's also faulty to assume 838 from BKK is same plane continuing to SFO. 837 from SFO shows cancelled today (14th). That might be the missing plane. Not sure. One route eastbound looks to suffer on the 15th ex-NRT, and SFO looks to be the loser.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 14, 2013 at 8:23 pm
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by blakeIV
Flight 838 NRT - SFO was cancelled for March 15. No reason given. Everything looks good weather wise. What is up? Incoming plan is in the air and on time.
I think you have the wrong incoming plane. The incoming plane for NRT-SFO is cancelled: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...910Z/KSFO/RJAA
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
$49 to upgrade? what fare were you on? Was that a buyup to the cheapest F fare, or a TOD?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA1K
We've had quite a bit of fog in SAN this week and the late night flights are usually the ones affected in these situations. IME they'll hold inbound flights if they haven't left yet to see if the fog will lift before cancelling. Flights en-route are usually diverted to LAX and, depending on the number of distressed passengers, a late night bus bridge to SAN.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travel.flier
$49 to upgrade? what fare were you on? Was that a buyup to the cheapest F fare, or a TOD?
X (award)
It was offered to me as I was checking-in online. I don't think it was buyup to the cheapest F fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.