Q400's coming to PHX?

Old Mar 11, 13, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Q400's coming to PHX?

Today in PHX, I noticed that most of the gates have freshly painted aircraft parking lines. A new addition is "Q400"

I suppose that COdbaUA is thinking about adding Q400 service to the western cities.

I suspect PHX-DEN will have Q400 service shortly. IIRC one of the UX operators has a Q400 base in DEN? Perhaps Q400 service will expand to PHX-LAX as well.

Does the Q400 have the legs for PHX-SFO or perhaps PHX-IAH? Both routes already have UX service. Including an E145 on PHX-IAH (ugh).
Old Mar 11, 13, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post
Today in PHX, I noticed that most of the gates have freshly painted aircraft parking lines. A new addition is "Q400"

I suppose that COdbaUA is thinking about adding Q400 service to the western cities.

I suspect PHX-DEN will have Q400 service shortly. IIRC one of the UX operators has a Q400 base in DEN? Perhaps Q400 service will expand to PHX-LAX as well.

Does the Q400 have the legs for PHX-SFO or perhaps PHX-IAH? Both routes already have UX service. Including an E145 on PHX-IAH (ugh).
US merger with AA probably has UA looking at PHX operations.
Old Mar 11, 13, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
My condolences.
Old Mar 11, 13, 12:36 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

more race to the bottom. Another sign they have decided to shrink to oblivion. When the option is a Q400 on UX or mainline on AA/US or WN, who you gonna pick? But then with the erj145s/crj200s in this market, they have already lost my trips to PHX at this point anyway.
Old Mar 11, 13, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
more race to the bottom. Another sign they have decided to shrink to oblivion.

Or maybe the Phoenix Aviation Department was simply updating their ramps based on fleet types of operators.

Quick check of published timetables doesn't show any Q4s in PHX.
Old Mar 11, 13, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
be thankful they're not CR2's.
Old Mar 11, 13, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bob_the_d View Post
be thankful they're not CR2's.
At least the CR2s are reliable...
Old Mar 11, 13, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
probably AS ran some Q400 routes sometime ago. PHX-LAX is the only viable route and there hasn't been a noise about q400's moving to LAX at least AFAIK.
Old Mar 11, 13, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
At least the CR2s are reliable...
Yeah--I'd rather suffer 1.5 hours on a CR2 than suffer a 6 hour delay at the gate due to MX followed by a 1.7 hour flight on a Q400, even if said Q400 has F and E+.
Old Mar 11, 13, 2:51 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.97MM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
For what it's worth, ABQ-DEN went mostly Q400 this winter. It used to be a mix of CR7, E-170, and CR2, plus one Airbus that parked overnight at ABQ. Now it's Q400 and ER4, with an occasional CR7 or E-170.

I feel pretty cranky about this. The one redeeming factor is that the Republic Q400s all have F now, which I guess makes them competitive with the CR2. I hate everything about the Devil's Chariot, but the noise and vibration on the Q400 is bad enough to make it a tie.

Unfortunately, it's hard to argue with the business decision. ABQ-DEN is a 349-mile route with no premium traffic whatsoever, which makes it a good fit for the Q400.

PHX-DEN is 601 miles, which may be far enough to keep the props away. On the other hand, PHX-LAX is only 370...
Old Mar 11, 13, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by QBK View Post
PHX-DEN is 601 miles, which may be far enough to keep the props away.
It's not. AC has some 800+ mile Q400 routes. As someone posted a while back, UA would fly puddle jumpers to the moon if they had the range.
Old Mar 11, 13, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I hate everything about the Devil's Chariot, but the noise and vibration on the Q400 is bad enough to make it a tie.
Misread this the first time as ...bad enough to make a tie. I had visions of Windsor Knots being made mid-air from the vibration. That's one heck of a vibration!
Old Mar 11, 13, 5:44 pm

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
Saw a Q4 leaving Denver around 11AM this morning in the bright sunshine. Man that's a long fuselage!
Old Mar 11, 13, 9:21 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.97MM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak View Post
It's not. AC has some 800+ mile Q400 routes. As someone posted a while back, UA would fly puddle jumpers to the moon if they had the range.
Oh, no doubt! And I know the Q400 has plenty of extra range. But it's not as efficient on longer routes -- the slower cruise speed becomes more of a disadvantage. We're seeing Q400s swapped for regional jets on short routes, freeing up the RJs for longer routes. Since UA has a limited number of Q400s to inflict on us, I'm guessing they may end up only on <500 mile routes (or something like that).

Originally Posted by Pat89339 View Post
Misread this the first time as ...bad enough to make a tie. I had visions of Windsor Knots being made mid-air from the vibration. That's one heck of a vibration!
. I spent some time on a single engine Otter back in the day (a direct ancestor of the Q400, for what it's worth). It's a beast, with a massive 9-cylinder radial up front. One trip, it blew an oil jug, which basically ensures instant noisy death for the affected piston. Now that was enough vibration to tie Windsor Knots -- in one's intestines, if nothing else. Limped back to the airport trailing a plume of black smoke...
Old Mar 11, 13, 9:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
....PHX-DEN is 601 miles, which may be far enough to keep the props away....
There are now Q400s DEN-MCI, which is ~600 miles

Search this Thread
Search Engine: