Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it bad to frequently cancel flights within 24 hours?

Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I have probably cancelled 10 flights with UA within 24 hours of booking them in the last 6 months. Am I running a risk of UA flagging my account or worse?

EDIT: Perhaps relevant for every flight I have cancelled I have probably taken close to 2 flights.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
I have probably cancelled 10 flights with UA within 24 hours of booking them in the last 6 months. Am I running a risk of UA flagging my account or worse?
Highly doubtful
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I think you face more jeopardy if you cancel a lot of flights within 24 hours of flying them rather than with 24 hours of reserving them. There was a thread here a few months ago about a Central American gentleman whose MP account was confiscated because he reserved a lot of refundable tickets for a traveling companion to allay his flying anxiety, and only upon getting to the airport would it be decided whether the companionship was required.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Highly doubtful
Agree - I do that on a monthly basis. I did get a call recently about too many fare locks to a destination (with different origination dates) and they said I had to cancel some of them as I was tying up too many seats..... And they said if I didn't cancel some of them that UA was going to cancel them all - and no I didn't get any money back....
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I think there was a poster here who was GS and got kicked out of the mileageplus program for doing just this; but I can't find the thread. Can anyone help me out here ?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by n198ua
I think there was a poster here who was GS and got kicked out of the mileageplus program for doing just this; but I can't find the thread. Can anyone help me out here ?
That thread was about booking award tickets for his wife and then cancelling them constantly IIRC....
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
That thread was about booking award tickets for his wife and then cancelling them constantly IIRC....
Not just constantly, but literally as the plane was boarding.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Originally Posted by wrp96
Not just constantly, but literally as the plane was boarding.
So that she could walk him to the gate.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Well...for a recent cancellation within 24 hours, I had to call in - since I could not separate myself from my flying partner online (he was flying eventually, I was not). Some interesting discussion ensued regarding reseating my partner out of E+. I'll spare the details here.

Suffice it to say, it is interesting what UA IT does in reaction to certain activities by its members. And what people do (even if not to game the system) is eventually noticed by UA.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
Heck I've cancelled award tickets AFTER the plane took off. It amazed me that UA would let me do that, but I try not to do it too often....
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a violation of the COC to book a ticket without the intent to fly it. So, how does UA determine intent to fly? That's the question.

I would surmise and it's just surmise, that UA cares a whole lot less about cancellations within 24 hours for a time down the road than the GS who had his MP account closed because he cancelled refundable F tickets at the gate.

The same for "impossible" reservations (multiple fare locks). At least they called.

It's all about inventory spoilage. If this starts to affect the bottom line, you can bet UA will care a whole lot.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
The thing that makes the 24 hour after booking item different than some of the other examples is that is a legal requirement (if the booking is made more than 7 days in advance). While United has the right to cancel a person's mileage plus account for any reason, it would raise quite a bit of questions if it would happen because of someone exercising (perhaps abusing, which I don't think the OP is doing) a right governed by a federal regulation, as opposed to abusing airline policy on refundable tickets and such.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:15 pm

I would draw a distinction booking a trip that you may be taking and the cancelling the next day, and rebooking for the same flight, you're really only tying up 1 seat that you're most likely using.

As opposed to booking a flight leaving Monday, another Tuesday, and another Wednesday, with the same O/D and then cancelling 2 of them as then you're tying up multiple seats with 2 of them you couldn't possibly take.

Or booking a flights all leaving Monday EWR/LAX, EWR/MIA, EWR/MSY again you're tying up at least 2 seats you can't possibly travel on.

The first scenario I don't think would be a huge deal (unless repeated an obnoxious amount of times), the other two I could see UA taking offense with impossible itineraries being booked.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
I would draw a distinction booking a trip that you may be taking and the cancelling the next day, and rebooking for the same flight, you're really only tying up 1 seat that you're most likely using.

As opposed to booking a flight leaving Monday, another Tuesday, and another Wednesday, with the same O/D and then cancelling 2 of them as then you're tying up multiple seats with 2 of them you couldn't possibly take.

Or booking a flights all leaving Monday EWR/LAX, EWR/MIA, EWR/MSY again you're tying up at least 2 seats you can't possibly travel on.

The first scenario I don't think would be a huge deal (unless repeated an obnoxious amount of times), the other two I could see UA taking offense with impossible itineraries being booked.
In my example I had three fare locks for my flight next week to LHR - one departing next Saturday arriving Saturday night, one departing Saturday night arriving Sunday, one departing Sunday arriving Sunday night - all had the same return date. I have a trip Friday morning to Hong Kong and didn't know my return date until recently so I couldnt choose my departure to London - if UA doesn't want to let me use fare lock then they should prohibit it - but I'm growing really tired of dealing with UA when I follow the rules and still get screwed....

And yes the flight to Hong Kong and back is on UA lol....
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seenitall
... There was a thread here a few months ago about a Central American gentleman whose MP account was confiscated because he reserved a lot of refundable tickets for a traveling companion to allay his flying anxiety, and only upon getting to the airport would it be decided whether the companionship was required.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nt-closed.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.