Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ps9a
"Baggage matching" issues now. All boarded...
Initial SF fog delay. Now can't push back, since they're having troubles matching bags from our initial manifest to current passenger list. More Lanson, please. UA Fail.
Only takes one pax to noshow on the substitute and the bag match thing becomes a nightmare. Got to locate the container, then the bag, pull it and reload the container (and any container which blocked it). Finally, redo bag count, feed that into w&b and hopefully push. That can be a 45-minute delay while one guy sits on BART.

As to routing through HNL, would mean pre-positioning a 747 crew at HNL against the chance that it might be needed sometime and then, eventually getting that crew back to HNL. Still doesn't help if there are days off, illness and the like.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1

As to routing through HNL, would mean pre-positioning a 747 crew at HNL against the chance that it might be needed sometime and then, eventually getting that crew back to HNL. Still doesn't help if there are days off, illness and the like.
Yes, it should only be considered once the 777s become the equipment to Oz, which I think begins in April. There are already 777 crews flying HNL-GUM, HNL-NRT, and to US mainland every day of the week.

Last edited by transportprof; Nov 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ps9a
UA 1750-- daytime flight SFO-SYD
Wow - is this a first?

I don't recall them running a daytime departure for a canceled Australia flight before.

Planned departure was 10:30am, with an arrival of 8pm - 3 hours before curfew in SYD.

After a near 1 hour delay on departure they are now showing a 8:27pm arrivial, so still 2 1/2 hours before curfew.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Wow - is this a first?

I don't recall them running a daytime departure for a canceled Australia flight before.

Planned departure was 10:30am, with an arrival of 8pm - 3 hours before curfew in SYD.

After a near 1 hour delay on departure they are now showing a 8:27pm arrival, so still 2 1/2 hours before curfew.
Nope not a first, I have done a daytime flight a few years ago LAX-SYD, was handled well at the time if I recall, plenty of notice and put up in the LAX Hilton. I liked it, as I don't sleep well anyway!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
Wow - is this a first?

After a near 1 hour delay on departure they are now showing a 8:27pm arrivial, so still 2 1/2 hours before curfew.
Arrived back today on 870 from SYD-SFO. All flights to/from SYD - LAX/SFO were oversold to varying degrees this weekend before the cancellation, so there just weren't sufficient reaccommodations available that they had to get a plane down there.

VDBs and IDBs from our flight were given $800 (highest I've seen in a long time) and rerouted through HNL.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
When would the crew time-out on the original flight?
Maximum duty time is 17.5 hours; inclusive of check-in, briefing, flight, and de-briefing ... it literally only takes a small delay of an hour and a half on a scheduled SYD flight time of 14.5h on these flights for the crews to time out.

To deal with the 747 reliability issues, UA have increased the number of "ready reserve" F/As at SFO who begin their ready reserve shift at 10 or 11pm. Ready reserves have no assigned flights and go where the need in greatest for no-shows, sickness, delays, timeouts, etc - this allows them to be switched out rapidly for these late night long flights if needed.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
perhaps the 777 replacing the 747 to SYD is a good idea??? However they are going to use UA 777 that will mean some aggressive load limiting. So about 1/3 less seats so prices go up and less chance of your upgrade clearing.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by why fly
perhaps the 777 replacing the 747 to SYD is a good idea??? However they are going to use UA 777 that will mean some aggressive load limiting. So about 1/3 less seats so prices go up and less chance of your upgrade clearing.
This theory was discussed and debunked here.

The 772ER and 744 have similar ranges and cargo capacities:

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commerc..._400_prod.page

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commerc...00product.page

Indeed, SFO/LAX-SYD is a shorter route than ORD-HKG, which UA has been flying for some time with a 772ER.

The 772 does have 12 fewer BF seats and 4 fewer GF seats than the 744. On the other hand, the route should see far fewer cancellations requiring rebooking on subsequent flights.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by Kacee
The 772 does have 13 fewer BF seats and 6 fewer GF seats than the 744. On the other hand, the route should see far fewer cancellations requiring rebooking on subsequent flights.
Fixed as additional seats on the sUA 777's are reserved for crew rest on the 777 where none are required on the 747 with the intigrated pilot crew rest
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by transportprof
I have a modest suggestion that UA could explore to boost the reliability of these Australia flights. UA has a major presence in HNL, which is about one third of the way between California and Sydney. When MX events go sideways at LAX and SFO, why not run the delayed flights with a stop, and crew change, in HNL instead of cancelling the whole flight?
That's what CX does to ex-LAX/SFO/YVR flights. If MX is known in advanced, they keep crew at hotel so clock doesn't start. If MX is discovered too late, they change the flight plan so the dest is TPE/ICN/NRT/KIX instead of HKG. Then during those 10+/- hours (mostly daytime in HKG), call up reserve crew from HKG and ship them to new dest and continue the flight.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by greenpau
Arrived back today on 870 from SYD-SFO. All flights to/from SYD - LAX/SFO were oversold to varying degrees this weekend before the cancellation, so there just weren't sufficient reaccommodations available that they had to get a plane down there.

VDBs and IDBs from our flight were given $800 (highest I've seen in a long time) and rerouted through HNL.
We had no re-routing option, since they cancelled the flight so late, but my wife and I both got $600 e-certs, which was nice (also had choice of 30k miles or 20% off coupon). Supposed to be landing in 25 mins on 1750.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
This theory was discussed and debunked here.

The 772ER and 744 have similar ranges and cargo capacities:

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commerc..._400_prod.page

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commerc...00product.page

Indeed, SFO/LAX-SYD is a shorter route than ORD-HKG, which UA has been flying for some time with a 772ER.

The 772 does have 12 fewer BF seats and 4 fewer GF seats than the 744. On the other hand, the route should see far fewer cancellations requiring rebooking on subsequent flights.
dont always believe what your read from "experts" on FT.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: UA-1K >1MM ,QF Platinum,HH-Diamond,Marriott-Gold
I have to go to SYD in March ---and the relatively high price of UA business (would reach a high percentage of my 1K requalifying 2014 spend) and unreliability of aircraft means I shall be trying out QF business after hearing all the good things about it.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by thepumpkin
I have to go to SYD in March ---and the relatively high price of UA business (would reach a high percentage of my 1K requalifying 2014 spend) and unreliability of aircraft means I shall be trying out QF business after hearing all the good things about it.
3/10 of my most recent international (all TATL) segments with UA were cancelled. (Not delayed, but totally cancelled). Before that, not a single UA international cancellation in 25 years. All cancellations were 747 if that matters. If you average my 25 year record, then UA is doing OK. But given the recent trends, it sure makes me nervous now every time I plan an international trip where timing of meetings is important. For business, I am trying to use other airlines until UA solves its cancellation problems.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
That's what CX does to ex-LAX/SFO/YVR flights. If MX is known in advanced, they keep crew at hotel so clock doesn't start. If MX is discovered too late, they change the flight plan so the dest is TPE/ICN/NRT/KIX instead of HKG. Then during those 10+/- hours (mostly daytime in HKG), call up reserve crew from HKG and ship them to new dest and continue the flight.
That is one reason (of many) why CX is a 5 star airline! I'm sure that for UA the decision will come down to a straight cost calculation. Will the extra crew and enroute stop costs turn out to be more or less than overnighting pax at hotels and giving them a $7 meal voucher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.