Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA is just asking for trouble with its new mileage accrual policies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

Take a look at the language in this:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=317

"Mileage accrual is subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program and, as provided therein, mileage will be credited in accordance with the terms and conditions of the MileagePlus Program in effect at the time of travel, not at the time air travel is purchased, booked or reserved, and accordingly miles may not be awarded for some tickets or miles may be awarded in an amount fewer than shown."

They are setting themselves up for all kinds of pain here.

Any comment UAInsider? Why so hostile toward frequent fliers? You would think that after all the attacks on FFers, they wouldn't be pulling stuff like this.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
That really does suck, and is one of the biggest reasons why I avoid partner air travel whenever possible. Even closely knit programs like LH have dropped earnings for low-fares, and after the SAA and Turkish cuts last month I have no desire to find out that a trip that I bought is no longer going to earn miles. Only time I travel on partners now is when there is no other choice or I'm on an award ticket.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by N1120A

"Mileage accrual is subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program and, as provided therein, mileage will be credited in accordance with the terms and conditions of the MileagePlus Program in effect at the time of travel, not at the time air travel is purchased, booked or reserved, and accordingly miles may not be awarded for some tickets or miles may be awarded in an amount fewer than shown."

Any comment UAInsider? Why so hostile toward frequent fliers? You would think that after all the attacks on FFers, they wouldn't be pulling stuff like this.
That is atrocious.

This kind of shenanigans is incredibly anti-consumer - no two ways about it.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is not new. It was the policy, both for sUA and sCO. It may be more explicit now, but it was the rule for a long, long time.

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond

This is for mileage accrual on *A partners. UA cannot control what other airlines do so I don't see a problem with that.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K

I could be wrong but I think this has been the policy for quite some time especially when it comes to partner airlines.

If this is new or just newly added wording to the website then I would expect a change in mileage accrual rates very soon and could be quite drastic. That is just the doomsdayist in me
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will DOT let them do this? When some carrier tried to change the free bag allowance after tickets had been purchased, DOT took the side of consumers and said that the rules in effect when tickets were purchased must be honored. However, DOT seems more likely to protect kettles than FFers.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Is this even lawful? In UK law this may fall foul of the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations, and I'd be surprise if it didn't in certain US jurisdictions too. Essentially UA is saying that they can unilaterally change the terms of their agreement even after you've entered into a purchase, that seems very anti-consumer to me.

Originally Posted by sammyindc
This is for mileage accrual on *A partners. UA cannot control what other airlines do so I don't see a problem with that.
Could someone clarify who actually sets the earning rules for partners, is it UA or the partner (or is it a joint agreement)? I know that UA state that TK (or whomever) have "denied your request", but usually its been pretty clear that its a UA IT cock-up in misreading the fare class.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by alex_b
Is this even lawful? In UK law this may fall foul of the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations, and I'd be surprise if it didn't in certain US jurisdictions too. Essentially UA is saying that they can unilaterally change the terms of their agreement even after you've entered into a purchase, that seems very anti-consumer to me.
In any other industry, this is called "bait and switch" and it's not only unethical, but usually illegal too. UA probably tries to make it legal by putting it into the terms and conditions. Not sure how enforceable it is. This is no different from all the other shenanigans they have been pulling on the overall war against elites, no different from all the promised benefits they pulled away after taking control, no different from the misleading upgrade promises, and so forth. Same story, just another variation.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mitchmu
In any other industry, this is called "bait and switch" and it's not only unethical, but usually illegal too. UA probably tries to make it legal by putting it into the terms and conditions. Not sure how enforceable it is. This is no different from all the other shenanigans they have been pulling on the overall war against elites, no different from all the promised benefits they pulled away after taking control, no different from the misleading upgrade promises, and so forth. Same story, just another variation.
It would be illegal if it was for UA operated flights but not for foreign accriers operated flights like this is the case.
It's just a way for UA to pretect itself if other *A carriers decided to change the miles earnings for some fares.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:28 am

It would be illegal if it was for UA operated flights but not for foreign accriers operated flights like this is the case.
It's just a way for UA to pretect itself if other *A carriers decided to change the miles earnings for some fares.
But do the other *A carriers actually set the accruals and have the ability to unilaterally change them? It's often stated here as if it's established fact, but I've never seen anything that says that's the case.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
CO alone decides what tjhey credit to MP for a flight you take with a *A partner.

The actions of alliance partners is merely an excuse to decline responsibility for what they do with the program.
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
I could be wrong but I think this has been the policy for quite some time especially when it comes to partner airlines..
I ran into the trap twice when CO was still UA .. and upon both occasions a short note to 1K Voice had me original credit granted.

So if it was a policy it was certainly not enforced.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
That is atrocious.

This kind of shenanigans is incredibly anti-consumer - no two ways about it.
Definitely a few ways about it.

It's been this way for a long time - not new. And is in line with all other *A carriers.

I've never had it enforced, though, as a quick call to MP fixes it.

I laugh at concept of "bait and switch", when the caveat is clearly disclosed.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mitchmu
In any other industry, this is called "bait and switch" and it's not only unethical, but usually illegal too. UA probably tries to make it legal by putting it into the terms and conditions..
Indeed. And while I lack experience with the all-new-CO, long exposure to LH which barreled down that hole years earlier taught me that they give a rat's fart about the law. The law only exists unilaterally for the passenger when they are supposed to follow wanton instructions issued by airline employees.

Compensation according to EU 261? Hotel nights during MX or WX? No way - just pull a silly excuse why that cannot be offered...
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
I laugh at concept of "bait and switch", when the caveat is clearly disclosed.
So if a mail order company said "two day shipping", provided they disclaimed that with "shipping times can change as we see fit" and then didn't send it for three weeks, you'd be happy with that? If United don't want to promise partner miles then fine, I'll move my business to AA/One World but to be half-pregnant with this weasel wording is unacceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.