Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DL customer rebooted onto UA due to MX. Will I be charged Bag fee? Dry ice fee?

Old Mar 4, 13, 10:17 am
Original Poster

I'm a DL Plat (Free bag) on a MX cancelled flight, which DL rebooked onto UA metal.

1) Will I be charged a bag fee? ($35)?

2) Will I be charged the dry ice fee ($200)?

#1 is free due to DL status, #2 is not charged on DL flights.

I can
1) take UA non-stop
2) Take DL connect to UA.

If yes is the answer to #1/#2 about, Will #2 fix any problems?
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:08 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Try to get DL at the airport to issue a MCO (misc charges order) to UA for the fees. UA is under no obligation to waive substantial fees customarily charged due to status on a competitor. Good luck with that though, best place to try would be at the DL ticket counter as MCOs aren't used/issued much outside of there.
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes for fees. #2 would resolve the fee issue.
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:20 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Not sure (doubt) that hazardous materials (and dry ice checked is treated as such) can be interlined. If DL issues a tag as such, my guess is that they would be circumventing DoT rules re:the regulations on transporting said materials.
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the dry ice fee based on checking something with dry ice or having the airline provide dry ice for you (on board?). If you can check bags through, then any fees associated with bags would be DL policy if you check the bags with DL, so the DL to UA connection should work. Otherwise, if you must check in with UA, you must pay their fees and I would expect DL to refuse to reimburse these items (nor would UA waive the fees for you).
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:42 am

The fee is not for providing dry ice, nor for the piece of luggage, but a service charge for the handeling of the dry ice (pilot notification forms are filled out, loading procedures such as separation from live animals and quantity restrictions modify the loading of it.).

The official fee is a "hazardous materials handeling charge" so the fee is not an interlinable excess baggage charge.
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:45 am
Original Poster

The fee is a UA service charge to accept a customer shipment of dry ice. Delta does not charge such a fee -- it is simply free.

I will also pay a standard luggage fee on top of it -- as its luggage.

Fees aside, so from what I hear here, I am playing with fire by trying to get DL to interline the package and it will likely spoil and probably should just cancel the trip entirely?
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johndoe123 View Post
The fee is a UA service charge to accept a customer shipment of dry ice. Delta does not charge such a fee -- it is simply free.

Fees aside, so from what I hear here, I am playing with fire by trying to get DL to interline the package and it will likely spoil and probably should just cancel the trip entirely?
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I can't imagine DL and others don't have a policy to manage this internally.
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:57 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Not sure (doubt) that hazardous materials (and dry ice checked is treated as such) can be interlined. If DL issues a tag as such, my guess is that they would be circumventing DoT rules re:the regulations on transporting said materials.
Is there a reg against interlining hazardous material? If DL properly follows the hazardous material guideline, and all criteria are met with labeling and size limit, what's the concern?

post script: Just read the reg:

Dry ice (carbon dioxide, solid), with the approval of the operator:

(i) Quantities may not exceed 2.5 kg (5.5 pounds) per person when used to pack perishables not subject to the HMR. The package must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas; and

(ii) When carried in checked baggage, each package is marked “DRY ICE” or “CARBON DIOXIDE, SOLID,” and marked with the net weight of dry ice or an indication the net weight is 2.5 kg (5.5 pounds) or less.

i guess technically only DL would approve the package at the time of check-in, and when interlining UA could potentially reject package, and now it's in bag limbo. Could OP get approval from UA ahead of time?

On a separate note: Why not use the frozen gel packs to avoid all the issues?
Old Mar 4, 13, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I can't imagine DL and others don't have a policy to manage this internally.
Hazardous materials acceptance policies vary by carrier, and even many UAX carriers choose to be "will not carry" on many categories that UA mainline chooses to. More often than not, such things, on an interline itin are checked "point to point" as the handeling differs by carrier. Operating, vs marketing or selling carrier's rules apy on each leg. Some things that are commonly interlined such as spare wet cell batteries for older electric wheelchairs need to be re packed at the transfer point in the operating carrier's own packaging. It's an area with tons of regulations, and each operating carrier has the option of acceptance and conforming to their own rules accepted by the regulatory bodies, or of declaring themselves a "will not carry" carrier and filing an simpler operating cert stating their policy is not to accept under any circumstances.

One must check the operating carrier's rules for each segment, and conform to the most restrictive rules on each carrier/aircraft.
Old Mar 4, 13, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I think that OP is talking about being rerouted and actually having to check his bags at UA.

In that case OP will be charged whatever fees UA levies. Those can be covered by OP or an MCO, as the case may be. The distinct likelihood is that a typical DL CSR won't know what an MCO is, won't know how to issue you one, and that you'll be stuck with the fees.

Search this Thread