Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA domestic flight connecting to intl AC -- LH stock -- SDC? irrops?

Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I'm going to be flying AAA-BBB-YYZ-FRA-CCC

AAA-BBB-YYZ is on UA metal. YYZ-FRA is on AC metal. The ticket is issued on LH stock (FRA-CCC is a short-hop and is on LH). And compounding matters, I booked this on Orbitz (I know, I know, it's awful, but there were reasons for that.) And of course, UA schedule changes have already started to make a mess of this!

1. Am I allowed to SDC onto different UA flights such that I do AAA-DDD-YYZ? I would do this to avoid the tight connection at BBB.

2. What happens in the case of irrops? If the flight departing AAA is delayed, can UA take control of the ticket and route me on their metal? I have a short connection at BBB, so any delay likely would be a problem.

3. If irrops occur, can I refuse to fly on LH metal? (I'm not opposed to LH, but right now it's a K-fare, and I specifically booked the TATL on AC so that I can credit to United. Of course, during irrops, I might get moved up to full Y, I'd rather not risk it.) If I did end up on LH TATL metal due to irrops, can I claim ORC even though that would have been with AC?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
To answer 2, UA can reissue the ticket. In fact, any Star Alliance carrier can.

To answer part of 3, you are free to reject any potential reroute. Do note that booking on any OAL will result in Y class.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1) SDC rules are set by the operating carrier. Any segment operated by UA follows normal UA SDC rules regardless of plating carrier.

2) In general the late delivering carrier is responsible for rerouting you. They they may actually reroute you to CCC, unless they can reroute you to YYZ or FRA in time for your next flight. I suppose they could just reroute you to YYZ on AC, then even if you misconnect it would be AC's problem not UA's, but I think they're unlikely to do that unless you really piss the agent off or BBB is EWR.

3) Yes, you can get ORC.

RULE 24 FLIGHT DELAYS/CANCELLATIONS/AIRCRAFT CHANGES
E) Schedule Irregularity
2) Delay, Misconnection or Cancellation
a) When a Passenger’s ticket is affected because of a Schedule Irregularity caused by UA, UA will take the following measures:
(i) Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger ; or
(ii) At the Passenger’s request, provided that the tariff covering the original transportation permits routing via the carrier which will transport the Passenger, UA will re-accommodate the Passenger in the same class of service on the next available flight on another carrier, or combination of carriers, if the length of the delay to the Passenger’s destination exceeds two hours.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Do note that booking on any OAL will result in Y class.
Thanks. Is this a given? So essentially, there's no issue with flying LH on a reroute? (other than no E+)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.