Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Baggage Policy??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
Other United baggage service charges and Premier entitlements will not be impacted....
Thanks for the clearer statement of the premium cabin benefits, however online and in your list there is no mention of an elite's companions on the same PNR. This has been explicitly called out in the old info. Has that change or was dropping the companion in the documentation an error?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
Thankyou very much
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Avis, & AMEX
I am Gold and booked a flight yesterday for my girlfriend and I to travel to Hawaii and it listed it as baggage fees are per traveler with our first and second bags being free. So I am assuming that she gets two free bags as I do.

-Nathan
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
International First Class STILL get 3 bags. International BUSINESS class now only get 2. BUSINESSFIRST is NOT first class
Thanks for the clarification, that was from memory. I guess I should have looked it up first.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
When checking in a few days ago at a station I regularly travel through I was told (without asking) that the new baggage limit would be 2 bags "even for a Global Services passenger flying domestic first class". The agent proactively told me this, as I often check 2 bags on this route (occasionally I have checked 3 after a fishing trip)
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
When checking in a few days ago at a station I regularly travel through I was told (without asking) that the new baggage limit would be 2 bags "even for a Global Services passenger flying domestic first class". The agent proactively told me this, as I often check 2 bags on this route (occasionally I have checked 3 after a fishing trip)
Given what UA has said so far about the new baggage policy, that agent was 100% wrong. Not surprising, of course.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
Gold or higher gets 3 bags, regardless of the cabin. What remains unclear is whether the companion get the same privilege.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
When is disclosure not really disclosure?

Ever since the airlines have been required to "prominently display" baggage cost info on their websites, they have found that they can meet the requirement by constant displaying "our bag charges have changed" on their home page, along with a link to their current policies.

As a result, they can make any changes they desire and still leave most of their customers totally in the dark about the change. Delta has displayed "our bag fees have changed" continuously on its home page for over a year.

Certainly skirts the intent of the DOT order, but that's what the airlines are experts at doing.

===============================

If the airlines can calculate and display they fare they charge you to the penny, you'd think that same quote could tell you exactly what the luggage allowance is for YOU on a particular flight, not just a link to the confusing list of "if this, than that" that one receives when clicking on the baggage fee link.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by OldRoyal
Ever since the airlines have been required to "prominently display" baggage cost info on their websites, they have found that they can meet the requirement by constant displaying "our bag charges have changed" on their home page, along with a link to their current policies.

As a result, they can make any changes they desire and still leave most of their customers totally in the dark about the change. Delta has displayed "our bag fees have changed" continuously on its home page for over a year.

Certainly skirts the intent of the DOT order, but that's what the airlines are experts at doing.

===============================

If the airlines can calculate and display they fare they charge you to the penny, you'd think that same quote could tell you exactly what the luggage allowance is for YOU on a particular flight, not just a link to the confusing list of "if this, than that" that one receives when clicking on the baggage fee link.
The intent of the DOT order is they have to provide you with an easy way to find fees. There is no requirement for them to be listed on the home page, nor do they have to be listed on the fare quote page. They do however have to say if there is a possibility for baggage fees and provide a link to those fees.

In addition, airlines and ticket agents will be required to disclose baggage fees to consumers when they book a flight online. The first screen containing a fare quotation for a specific itinerary must show if there will be additional baggage fees, and inform consumers where they can go to see these fees. Information on baggage fees also must be included on all e-ticket confirmations, and for most trips the same baggage allowances and fees must apply throughout a passenger’s journey.

An airline can't possibly come up with the exact fee each passenger will pay for it's luggage on a particular flight. Just because I have one status today, that doesn't mean I'll have it for my flight, things like that.

Nobody should be shocked by baggage fees. It's really not that hard to find them.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
So what's going on with Star Silver fees?

The virtual agent still says $0 for first bag (thankfully?), but the text was removed from the postings in this thread.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Angry Does this foretell a plan to charge for carry-ons???

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
Just to clear the air about the F/J allowance.

Changes in F/J Baggage Allowance

Effective date: Tickets purchased on or after February 14, 2013 for travel beginning February 14, 2013
Policy:
United is modifying the checked baggage allowance for United Global First / United First and United Business / United BusinessFirst:
  • United Global First / United First baggage allowance changes from 3 bags to 2 bags for domestic travel
  • United Business / United BusinessFirst baggage allowance changes from 3 bags to 2 bags for domestic and international travel

Other United baggage service charges and Premier entitlements will not be impacted

Below is the list of passengers with 70 lb (32kg) per bag weight limit. All others are subject to the 50 lb (23 kg) weight limit.
• United Business ®
• United BusinessFirst ®
• United First ®
• United Global First SM
• Premier Gold
• Premier Platinum
• Premier 1K ®
• Global Services SM
• Star Alliance Gold
• Active U.S. military and accompanied dependents on personal travel**
• Active U.S. military personnel on orders, and military personnel/dependents on orders for relocation
**applies only to flights operated by United or United Express
Awww shoot - the only way this makes sense is if UA's planning to start charging for carry-ons too big to fit under seat...(and, if they really want to get evil, then only allow paid-for bags in the overhead???)
After all, how many travellers hit the 3 70-lb bag maximum?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by lskohn
Awww shoot - the only way this makes sense is if UA's planning to start charging for carry-ons too big to fit under seat...(and, if they really want to get evil, then only allow paid-for bags in the overhead???)
After all, how many travellers hit the 3 70-lb bag maximum?
I don't think you can assume that at all from these changes.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
looking up my reservation with 3 other companions. I'm a *S. It says "per traveler" so maybe the companion benefit is still in effect, they just don't want to advertise it?

Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Very confusing policy. I flew SFO-PIT yesterday on award ticket, I have no status on United or Star Alliance, but was not charged a bag fee. Maybe because I checked in at international terminal (I happened to be there, arriving from Cathay Pacific on a non-linked PNR). Either way, had my CC all ready, but was never asked for it by kiosk or by agent, and bag went all the way through.

I also do have (but never use) an old United Mileage Plus Visa -- the free one that gets 2 miles per dollar. but its not supposed to be a perk of that. I've always had weird experiences with bag fees on United.. sometimes I get charged, sometimes I don't, but since I expect to get charged every time its just a bonus when I don't!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: MileagePlus
I looked up GG BAG MPP last night and is appears there has been no change to the Premier companion in the same PNR bag allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.