Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do I need to give up my seat/center row, so that a crew member can sleep in it?

Do I need to give up my seat/center row, so that a crew member can sleep in it?

Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:02 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by burlax
AFAIK, you CANNOT buy an extra seat for yourself on the same flight even if you're willing to pay. The only option is to buy a seat in the premium cabin instead.

If what you implied were true, all the GS and 1Ks here would be reserving rows of E-instead of paying for limited recline F on domestic long haul.

However, I understand that as a UA employee you'd probably try to sell the OP some more BS in addition to all the other BS he's already heard from the other UA employees.
1) you are incorrect. Have you not read any news articles on PoS (persons of size,) who at times, are REQUIRED to buy a 2nd seat? While your primary mileage account will not earn miles, it happens as it permitted. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx So if there is a policy in place that requires the purchase of an adjacent seat, clearly it can be done (and is, although rarely...I may see it once every couple of months.)

2) No BS from me, I speak fact from experience and post what I speak.

Last edited by fastair; Mar 4, 2013 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by fastair
1) you are incorrect. Have you not read any news articles on PoS (persons of size,) who at times, are REQUIRED to buy a 2nd seat? While your primary mileage account will not earn miles, it happens as it permitted.

No, you are incorrect. You may be REQUIRED to pay for an additional seat as a PoS, but you cannot book an additional seat or seats. If you cannot understand the difference, try calling reservations and asking them to book you a row of E- and explaining that you want to sleep there, and see what happens.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:21 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

1) you are incorrect. Have you not read any news articles on PoS (persons of size,) who at times, are REQUIRED to buy a 2nd seat? While your primary mileage account will not earn miles, it happens as it permitted. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx So if there is a policy in place that requires the purchase of an adjacent seat, clearly it can be done (and is, although rarely...I may see it once every couple of months.)

No, you are incorrect. You may be REQUIRED to pay for an additional seat as a PoS, but you cannot book an additional seat or seats. If you cannot understand the difference, try calling reservations and asking them to book you a row of E- and explaining that you want to sleep there, and see what happens.
My money's on fastair on this one.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
My money's on fastair on this one.
Hah. Believe me, I tried. It's actually cheaper to buy 3 E- on some K or G fare, than to book into premium cabin. Guess what? You can't.

The quoted policy is for people who cannot fit in a regular seat. They won't let you use it if you're normal size.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:35 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Most likely you cannot book an entire row (unless the row consists of only 2 seats) you without question can book an extra seat. Most agents (res or CS) are goin to feel uncomfortable about the PoS issues (the rarety of it, and the fact that every time someone does need to, it is usually a celebrity who tweets about it) most agents aren't goin to ask you a ton of questions, as the fear of ADA type lawsuits and complaints come up.

You tell me you need to buy a seat, and an additional seat next to it, I am going to sell it to you (inventory allowing) and am not going to ask you what your purpose is.

So while your example of buying an entire row is most likely true, buyiing a 2nd seat happens, and most of the time, the purcahser is not questioned as to the intent of use of the extra seat. I surely wouln't question the purpose, and I ask more questions than the average agent.

I've had people in rigid casts as well purchase the seat next to them, but again it is pretty rare. And yes, in a 3 across 767 section, I have had a couple for no reason other than the extra seat, buy all 3 seats for the 2 of them. They didn't buy from me, but they boarded my plane. I was kind of surprised, as it complicates the boarding process. I need to show all 3 seats as boarded, but I need to then prior to printing manifest and sending weight/balance data to the load planners, remember to subtract one body from the count/manifest. I had to call the help desk to find out how to show the ticket as "used" so it didn't auto cncl the return flight, after I had offloaaded theseat for the weight/manifest.

Perhaps you should use the FT motto of "nicely end the call, then call again" the next time,j ust ask for the 2 seats, the 2nd as an extra, without explaining your purpose. It isn't like the res agent can verify your weight over the phone to dispute you. You may be correct in procedure (I am no res agent, the world of operations is a little less strict then the call centers and my knowledge of if UAprohibits the policy in ticketing is beyond by knowledge) but in practice it works. Also from a business standpoint, it is a win/win for the airline. Another seat at the same price they are willing to sell, with less cost associated with it.

Last edited by fastair; Mar 4, 2013 at 8:45 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:45 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
AFAIK, you CANNOT buy an extra seat for yourself on the same flight even if you're willing to pay. The only option is to buy a seat in the premium cabin instead.

If what you implied were true, all the GS and 1Ks here would be reserving rows of E-instead of paying for limited recline F on domestic long haul.

However, I understand that as a UA employee you'd probably try to sell the OP some more BS in addition to all the other BS he's already heard from the other UA employees.
You can certainly buy an extra seat, either as PoS, or for a musical instrument, or giant teddy bear from Costco.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Boghopper
The bottom line is that the crew lied to the OP and manipulated him in order to get the seats they were not entitled to, but wanted. The lying and manipulation continued after the crew realized they were going to have a problem when the OP reported them. No amount of posts by the UA apologists are going to change that basic fact.

This abuse of authority should be reported to management. They may or may not do anything about it, but they should be informed.

Precisely.

This needs to be reported.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTahCha
You can certainly buy an extra seat . . . for . . . giant teddy bear from Costco.
Wrong. This is not what the policy is intended for and it is not what the policy states.

. . . It isn't like the res agent can verify your weight over the phone to dispute you. You may be correct in procedure (I am no res agent, the world of operations is a little less strict then the call centers and my knowledge of if UAprohibits the policy in ticketing is beyond by knowledge) but in practice it works. Also from a business standpoint, it is a win/win for the airline. Another seat at the same price they are willing to sell, with less cost associated with it.
Well, you can certainly purchase extra seat(s) under that policy by LYING about your eligibility, but that completely destroys validity of your implicit argument that if the OP had wanted to sleep in the E-row, he should have purchased it. From the business standpoint, UA would prefer that you pay a few thousand for limited recline F on a transcon than book a row for under $500.

Last edited by burlax; Mar 4, 2013 at 9:26 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:56 am

Per the work computer (not yet on the clock and posting from my phone) in front of me: "Customers who want to voluntarily purchase an extra seat in order to have a vacant seat next to them may do so at the same fare or mileage used to purchase the first seat... If purchase is made at the airport on day of departure, current fare available for the seat will apply. Seat assignment, meal selection, baggage allowance, and mileage plus accrual policy as stated on this page for a customer of size will also apply to the voluntary seat purchase."

That would be base miles (no bonus miles,) extra checked baggage (no extra carry on) and meals for each seat purchased.

Next time, prior to the use of the term "BS" in reference to my post, make sure you are correct and I am wrong. That is disrespectful, and worse has just been proven to be 100% incorrect. Post facts instead of incorrect opinions, or at the very least, qualify your opinion as something not based on fact/policy but as an opinion

Last edited by fastair; Mar 4, 2013 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:05 am
Suspended

Per the work computer (not yet on the clock) in front of me: "Customers who want to voluntarily purchase an extra seat in order to have a vacant seat next to them may do so at the same fare or mileage used to purchase the first seat... If purchase is made at the airport on day of departure, current fare available for the seat will apply. Seat assignment, meal selection, baggage allowance, and mileage plus accrual policy as stated on this page for a customer of size will also apply to the voluntary seat purchase."

That would be base miles (no bonus miles,) extra checked baggage (no extra carry on) and meals for each seat purchased.

Next time, prior to the use of the term "BS" in reference to my post, make sure you are correct and I am wrong. That is disrespectful, and worse has just been proven to be 100% incorrect. Post facts instead of incorrect opinions, or at the very least, qualify your opinion as something not based on fact/policy but as an opinion
I used the term BS because I attempted (twice) to do precisely what you implied the OP should have done - that is, booking a row of E- for the purpose of sleeping there. Both times, I called the reservations and explained what I was trying to do, and both times the supervisors who were brought on the line explained to me that I couldn't book a row of seats unless I had some sort of a medical need, and offered me to book a seat in F instead.

Last edited by burlax; Mar 4, 2013 at 10:16 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:04 am

They were wrong, or at the time the policy was different. There may be a difference between booking an additional seat, and booking an entire row. The policy I quoted was for an extra seat, not extra seats.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:04 am
Suspended

I would not be surprised if the OP moved back to his original seat (stumbling through the service carts), and then instructed by another FA to move out of the "crew rest" seat again. :-)
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:41 pm

I've seen some complaints online about a pax purchasing 2 seats for himself and then having them split up into different areas or the extra seat being sold/given to someone else. The staff then says tough, you weren't guaranteed particular seats, call customer service and ask for a refund, nothing I can do, etc.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Per the work computer (not yet on the clock and posting from my phone) in front of me: "Customers who want to voluntarily purchase an extra seat in order to have a vacant seat next to them may do so at the same fare or mileage used to purchase the first seat... If purchase is made at the airport on day of departure, current fare available for the seat will apply. Seat assignment, meal selection, baggage allowance, and mileage plus accrual policy as stated on this page for a customer of size will also apply to the voluntary seat purchase."

Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by wdrg
I've seen some complaints online about a pax purchasing 2 seats for himself and then having them split up into different areas or the extra seat being sold/given to someone else. The staff then says tough, you weren't guaranteed particular seats, call customer service and ask for a refund, nothing I can do, etc.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Yea, the procedure is to move people so the 2 seats are adjoining.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.