1K --> Gold = downgrade in call centers?

Old Feb 26, 13, 3:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Posts: 265
1K --> Gold = downgrade in call centers?

So last year I lost 1K / Plat status for the first time in a decade was dropped to Gold.

My biggest surprise is the call centers. As a 1K I always spoke with Houston, Chicago, or Salt Lake for reservations or mileage plus. As a Gold all I have spoken to are offshore call centers for both and it is driving me crazy as I know more about the system then they do.

Is it just my luck or do Gold calls get routed differently or does 1K have their own agents?
Aggie is offline  
Old Feb 26, 13, 3:31 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 1,047
Since the merger even 1k calls get routed quite differently. Not off shore but definitely not to dedicated agents the way they did before.
FLYDCA is offline  
Old Feb 26, 13, 3:52 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 52,891
During widespread irrops recently, I got the ICC. FWIW, the ICC rep actually took care of the issue very quickly and correctly.

IME the chief problem with the ICC is that their agents are much more likely to blithely launch off into "fixing" an issue in a way which makes it worse--and without first confirming with the pax that that is what he or she wants to do. "Yes, I have reissued your ticket. Oh, you mean you only wanted to change your connecting flight and not your entire itinerary? Very sorry, but there is no longer any upgrade available on either flight."
exerda is online now  
Old Feb 26, 13, 4:01 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,949
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
During widespread irrops recently, I got the ICC. FWIW, the ICC rep actually took care of the issue very quickly and correctly.

While I usually get U.S. based agents, I've been very pleased with the ICC when I get them -- moreso than some of the U.S. based agents.

I think that culturally, the ICC is a better fit for SHARES -- they don't seem put off by the thought of a 30-minute phone call typing like a madman to fix an issue like their American counterparts sometimes can be.
channa is offline  
Old Feb 26, 13, 4:35 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TPA, finally
Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Posts: 302
short answer, no

You will still have to enter your MP#, confirm your zip if not linked to your handy. Then you will have to listen to Tim/Bob/Frank, ask you what you need help with and when you ask for agent, he will ask you again that he will help you without having to talk to a human, which of course is never they case. Just say existing reservations, get in the queue and listen to the marvels of checking-in on-line and there's no line, then you will hear about all the award winning products they have and all the things the $500m cabin investment BS. Then you will get an agent, hopefully. I'm sure they will thank you for being a Gold dude and will want to charge for any changes.
shttrdrvr is offline  
Old Feb 26, 13, 5:24 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 52,891
Originally Posted by shttrdrvr View Post
Then you will have to listen to Tim/Bob/Frank
Hey, now, get it right: it's HAL. As in, "I'm sorry, Dave; I'm afraid I can't do that."
exerda is online now  
Old Feb 26, 13, 6:18 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,643
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
So last year I lost 1K / Plat status for the first time in a decade was dropped to Gold.

My biggest surprise is the call centers. As a 1K I always spoke with Houston, Chicago, or Salt Lake for reservations or mileage plus. As a Gold all I have spoken to are offshore call centers for both and it is driving me crazy as I know more about the system then they do.

Is it just my luck or do Gold calls get routed differently or does 1K have their own agents?
Some members have posted that ICC can be better than US ... YMMV!
FlyWorld is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread