FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   1K --> Gold = downgrade in call centers? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1442671-1k-gold-downgrade-call-centers.html)

Aggie Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm

1K --> Gold = downgrade in call centers?

So last year I lost 1K / Plat status for the first time in a decade – was dropped to Gold.

My biggest surprise is the call centers. As a 1K I always spoke with Houston, Chicago, or Salt Lake for reservations or mileage plus. As a Gold all I have spoken to are offshore call centers for both and it is driving me crazy as I know more about the system then they do.

Is it just my luck or do Gold calls get routed differently – or does 1K have their own agents?

FLYDCA Feb 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Since the merger even 1k calls get routed quite differently. Not off shore but definitely not to dedicated agents the way they did before.

exerda Feb 26, 2013 2:52 pm

During widespread irrops recently, I got the ICC. :eek: FWIW, the ICC rep actually took care of the issue very quickly and correctly.

IME the chief problem with the ICC is that their agents are much more likely to blithely launch off into "fixing" an issue in a way which makes it worse--and without first confirming with the pax that that is what he or she wants to do. "Yes, I have reissued your ticket. Oh, you mean you only wanted to change your connecting flight and not your entire itinerary? Very sorry, but there is no longer any upgrade available on either flight."

channa Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 20322044)
During widespread irrops recently, I got the ICC. :eek: FWIW, the ICC rep actually took care of the issue very quickly and correctly.

While I usually get U.S. based agents, I've been very pleased with the ICC when I get them -- moreso than some of the U.S. based agents.

I think that culturally, the ICC is a better fit for SHARES -- they don't seem put off by the thought of a 30-minute phone call typing like a madman to fix an issue like their American counterparts sometimes can be.

shttrdrvr Feb 26, 2013 3:35 pm

short answer, no

You will still have to enter your MP#, confirm your zip if not linked to your handy. Then you will have to listen to Tim/Bob/Frank, ask you what you need help with and when you ask for agent, he will ask you again that he will help you without having to talk to a human, which of course is never they case. Just say existing reservations, get in the queue and listen to the marvels of checking-in on-line and there's no line, then you will hear about all the award winning products they have and all the things the $500m cabin investment BS. Then you will get an agent, hopefully. I'm sure they will thank you for being a Gold dude and will want to charge for any changes.

exerda Feb 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by shttrdrvr (Post 20322268)
Then you will have to listen to Tim/Bob/Frank

Hey, now, get it right: it's HAL. As in, "I'm sorry, Dave; I'm afraid I can't do that." :D

FlyWorld Feb 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Aggie (Post 20321895)
So last year I lost 1K / Plat status for the first time in a decade – was dropped to Gold.

My biggest surprise is the call centers. As a 1K I always spoke with Houston, Chicago, or Salt Lake for reservations or mileage plus. As a Gold all I have spoken to are offshore call centers for both and it is driving me crazy as I know more about the system then they do.

Is it just my luck or do Gold calls get routed differently – or does 1K have their own agents?

Some members have posted that ICC can be better than US ... YMMV!